Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Patrick McManus, RIP
Quote | Reply
Outdoor humorist author, Patrick McManus passed away on April, 11th at the age of 84. I read all his book up through my teens in the mid-80's. I grew in the same area he lived, so his tales (tall as they were), felt so much as part of my childhood fabric.

“An elk that is shot dead within 15 feet of your hunting vehicle will still pull himself together enough to gallop to the very bottom of the steepest canyon within five miles. This is known as ‘elk’s revenge.’” —Share and Share Alike, October 1982

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Patrick McManus, RIP [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
Outdoor humorist author, Patrick McManus passed away on April, 11th at the age of 84. I read all his book up through my teens in the mid-80's. I grew in the same area he lived, so his tales (tall as they were), felt so much as part of my childhood fabric.

“An elk that is shot dead within 15 feet of your hunting vehicle will still pull himself together enough to gallop to the very bottom of the steepest canyon within five miles. This is known as ‘elk’s revenge.’” —Share and Share Alike, October 1982

He's why I learned, as a hunter at an early age, to follow blood trails, often after sighing heavily and looking up at the heavens. ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the word. RIP.

I had subscription to Field and Stream in my teens back in the 70s. He was great.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sad to hear that. I have 5 or 6 of his books on the shelf. If I remember right, his column in Outdoor Life was what got me hooked. He was a great storyteller.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Our local public library had many of his books on tape when I was a kid. We would always snag at least one when we were there to listen to for a week or two. When we had a family road trip coming up we were allowed to get 2-3 to listen to in the car. Can't remember a trip as a kid without him and his funny stories.
Quote Reply
Re: Patrick McManus, RIP [A-A-Ron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My uncle introduced me to McManus' through his Field and Stream magazines. From there I somehow learned he had a few books out and immediately got my hands on them. I think I've read everything up through Rubber Legs and White Tail Hairs. It looks like he kept writing and publishing up through 2012. I might need to make a trip to the library.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sad news. I just ordered a book from library. I need to introduce my son to Rancid Crabtree.
Quote Reply