Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What would you do if you were 18 and had $120,000? [Elvis Runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This a hypothetical question, unless this 18 year old has $120k in his hands instead of going to college.

The expense of college is offset by the greater earning potential upon graduation. I have had this conversation with friends as their kids are turning 18 and it’s a common them that the friends without degrees are the ones that have kids they promote to not go to college. Opposite scenario with friends with degrees who promote their kids to go to college.

My kids are going to college. They know it at 9 years old and embrace it. Tell my neighbor who landed a job as an anastesiologist making $500k that school doesn’t matter.

A friend in my 20’s said he was making money while his other friend was going into debt in school. Fast forward into our 40’s and guess who is still in the same position as they were 20 years ago.

Everything I have now can be attributed to a college education. I should also add that I worked during school and paid for grad school while I went to school as well. Many of the students who complain sat back for 4 or more years racking up debt and bumming money from Mom and Dad and never had a job.
Quote Reply
Re: What would you do if you were 18 and had $120,000? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Travel for a year. There's no better education for an 18 year old, and at 18 you can do it for dirt cheap.

I have never understood this mentality. My daughter traveled (as part of a high school project to China for 6 weeks then to other parts of Asia). My son never traveled anywhere. My daughter left me with a large bill, but no greater education than my son. Uncle Sam provided guided tours for me to the Gulf and Central America. Wifie had no such oversees experience. While it was a good experience, I don't see it giving me a leg up on wifie.

My daughter-in-law went straight through school, graduated in 4 years, is a successful OT with a relatively small college loan. Her sister has traveled all over Europe and spent a year in London. She is also pursuing her OT degree and has now been a student for 8 years with a pile of student loan debt from which she will never recover. She is also an idiot whereas my daughter-in-law (who has many flaws) is a very savvy business woman with her own practice.

A shit-ton of my kids' friends and my friends' kids traveled and it seems very clear all they got was some good Facebook pics.

Had this conversation with my girlfriend when we first met. She traveled, I didn’t.

At the end of the day, I think it’s just a life decision and entertainment. That’s all. Someone can buy a new car and know they are pissing money away for the enjoyment of a new car. It’s just a choice of entertainment and enjoyment.

I don’t think travel makes you a better person, or if anything is necessarily gained, any more than spending your money on something else.
Quote Reply

Prev Next