Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

super simple gps computer...
Quote | Reply
Need to find the most simple GPS cycling computer for a friend. Doesn't need to be ANT+/Bluetooth and it would be good if you CAN'T download the data (she never will...). I just hate slapping a computer with a speed sensor on the bike unless I absolutely have to... her current computer is a simple Bontrager one that only shows speed and distance (all she needs/wants), but requires a fork mounted speed sensor. That thing is just sliding around no matter what I do and I see the writing on the wall, one day that thing will turn into the front wheel and I can only hope it breaks before causing an accident.

So to recap, simple, no speed sensor needed (GPS in other words) and can be used by your grandma (unless she's a techie, then skip that).

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply
Re: super simple gps computer... [audiojan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Garmin Edge 20?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GPS isn't as accurate for current speed as a speed sensor. mount the speed sensor so that if the magnet or a spoke hits it, it doesn't go further into the spokes (i.e. on the front of the fork)

Otherwise, Garmin Edge 20 with the new magnetless speed sensor (mounts to the hub). But then you have to deal with charging it rather than just a coin battery that lasts for months at a time.

Or, you can take a risk and try one of these bad boys. VDO M7 GPS. Cheap, but dunno if it is as reliable as a Garmin device.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5055-493/M7-GPS-Wireless-Bike-Computer

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: super simple gps computer... [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually found my fitbit surge to be great for speed and distance (gps one).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The new Garmin Edge 130 https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/596828

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: super simple gps computer... [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's pretty inexpensive for what it is, but it has a lot more features than what the OP wants (of course, those features can be turned off using Garmin Connect, if desired)

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lezyne has a couple of models that are ~$100-150.
Or, watch the classifieds here for someone selling a Garmin 500 for $100 or less.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a little CatEYE (stealth 10 i think) one that was ~$100 - very simple w/ speed, distance and gps, no frills. A little slow to pick up satellites, but serviceable otherwise.

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I picked up a Garmin Edge 200 (barely used) on ebay for $45 a few weeks ago. Works great, and it doesn't have a big flag of a speed sensor on my fork like the Cateye I was using last year. I only use it for speed and it charges pretty quickly / doesn't seem to kill its batteries very quickly. The new equivalent would be the Edge 20 that others are suggesting.
Last edited by: Per: Apr 19, 18 13:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Bryton RIder 10 is available for $52.75 on Amazon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a generic GPS computer I used for 1/2 a season before getting a Lezyne as a gift. It has GPS and will sync with Ant+ sensors (speed, cad, hrm) if needed in the future. It has a mount, but also works with the Garmin 1/4 turn ones.

$30 Shipped in the cont. US.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply