Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

offseason bike focus - too hard to keep swim/run?
Quote | Reply
coming into winter and road race season here, and i would like to have a better go at it this year in the tri offseason. The bike isnt my weak leg, but races help motivation in winter and i find it the most enjoyable. I understand im going to have to let go of some run and swim fitness in the process. My question is, is it worth doing one or two runs and swims at most a week, or is that not even enough to worry about? say 2x 10km easy treadmill runs a week and a few easy pull/paddle sessions a week worth it in terms of keeping....well...something? or is that not enough to even worry about, thus can it and just bike? cheers.
Quote Reply
Re: offseason bike focus - too hard to keep swim/run? [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where do you live that it's coming into road race season in winter?

My take on it is that it's worth maintaining some running as running fitness seems to be the slowest to come back. Swimming I find I get back to previous levels pretty quickly so not such an issue.
Quote Reply
Re: offseason bike focus - too hard to keep swim/run? [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're a triathlete, then absolutely you should/need to keep 2-3 swims and runs/week ;)

Carson Christen
Sport Scientist , Coach
Torden Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: offseason bike focus - too hard to keep swim/run? [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IM in aus..... we have crits during tri season and road racing in winter. Bike racing never really stops here!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I did a run focus a couple years ago, just one session on the bike of an hour consisting of 3x15min sweet spot was enough to maintain my FTP.

I suspect that doing the same thing on the run will give similar outcomes. Probably 1 hour run with 3 x 10min at half marathon pace should do it.

As for swim, I suck in swimming so when I stop, I can get back to my form within 4-6 weeks but if you’re a good swimmer, I would do an hour session a week as well. Again, the key is to put some moderate intensity into it.
Quote Reply
Re: offseason bike focus - too hard to keep swim/run? [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a guide - I recently got plantar fasciitis and didn't run for 4 months (well, only a gentle 5km per week). all the time I was swimming 3x per week and biking 6-8 hours a week (proper TrainerRoad stuff). the next time i tried to do a 5km park run i had gone from 19:30 to 20:50 with the same amount of RPE (ie trying really really hard).

So if you do less you will suck more..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are putting running on the back burner a bit make sure that your runs are easy when you do get them done. Heck you could even do like 5 easy 30 minute runs during the week or break it up and do a few longer runs but do not, DO NOT, do any speed work or tempo pace. That is a recipe for disaster for both your run and your bike. Your legs will be tired from the bike focus so adding speed work to to the few runs you do will not lend itself to success. Doing something is always better than nothing. As long as the something is easy!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bike raced every single road race season we had here(CA fall, winter and spring) and I would do two swims a week and on run, sometimes two if it was a slow race week. And it absolutely got me ready for the triathlon season. Once that last road race was over in April, I would ramp up the running and swimming, and knock the cycling down to 200mpw, that was plenty to carry over all that hard ass racing from the winter.

I thin it is a great plan, and of course bike racing is fun as hell, so there was no drudgery in getting in top cycling shape each year, and each year went to a new level because of the hard racing and training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would not give up running entirely just to stave off injuries.

Age matters a lot here but my experience is most people are very prone to injury when they come back to it after a long time off. As little as 1 run a week can pay huge dividends in terms of keeping enough run specific strength to avoid injury when you decide to come back. I would be far less concerned about swimming. You aren't likely to pick up a swimming injury when coming back after months or even years. Doing one easy swim a week also isn't going to be providing you with much. Getting real strong on the bike over the winter and letting that fitness carry into a heavy swimming block next season will be more beneficial than trying to balance to many plates at once.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:
My question is, is it worth doing one or two runs and swims at most a week.

Yep, or even more.

I'll normally have 3 swims, 5/6 bikes & 6 runs a week, that rarely changes (unless I'm taking a post-season break) lots of it easy.

If I'm focused on something the time and/or intensity gets invested in that discipline, but the frequency stays constant.
Quote Reply