Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trailer on carbon road bike
Quote | Reply
A question for the infinite wisdom of slowtwitch:
I will be a dad!!! I am now wondering if there are risks, for the bike, if I tow a trailer (with the kid in it) with my road bike (supersix evo)?
Quote Reply
Re: Trailer on carbon road bike [Cookie Monster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations! Personally I’d buy a cheap steel bike, or mountain bike dedicated for that purpose. ETA - just seen the trailers that connect to the quick release - in that case, I'd have no reservations. The one I saw clamped onto the seat stay I think, so would be less keen.
Last edited by: rmt: Apr 18, 18 21:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve always wondered, but never asked because I simply took the risk. We have a Thule Chariot Cross 2 and our boys weigh 25 & 35lbs respectively. I’ve pulled them with a Trek Boone Cross carbon bike and Ritchey Breakaway Road carbon bike for many (hundreds of) miles with zero issues. (Mostly on paved bike trails and streets.) Well, other than braking. YMMV...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the trailer attaches to the QR, like mine did, then I don't see an issue. Worst case you get a bad derailleur hangar or something.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As long as you put it on properly, what is the worry.

I can't figure out why people worry about carbon so much. We beat the hell out of in on race cars and then glue it back and beat on it some more. Bikes are so gently used - just attach it properly and you're good.
Quote Reply
Re: Trailer on carbon road bike [snfettig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no problems with this load, well over 50 lbs for 80 miles. Bike is aluminum though and the trailer is a BOB, axle handles the load.

Last edited by: kppolich: Apr 18, 18 19:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I say giver'

Ask me how much I love my Kiwami LD Aero Trisuit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trailer attaches to the qr so you're good there. A BTS seat clamps to the stays with metal so you might be more cautious there... My hesitation, and reason I ended up getting an aluminum MTB for dad time, was that I couldn't be comfortable leaving my carbon bike in a rack somewhere i have trailered the kids... Your paranoia may vary.

Blog | Strava
Last edited by: trihawg: Apr 19, 18 18:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine clamps to the QR, have it set up on the mountain bike. rode a few easy trails with him strapped in last summer, only tipped him over once ;-)

It's seriously heavy, if you have hills in your area then gear accordingly.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Trailer on carbon road bike [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have pulled 30 lbs worth of kid in a chariot behind my super six. No issues. Probably would be better to use a mtb with thru axle though
Quote Reply