Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Michael Phelps switching to triathlon. [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Benv wrote:
monty wrote:

And I'm sure Chrissie Wellington could have gone over to cycling, or even running and done quite well. We have Kirsten Armstrong that has done well from Ironman to cycling, there is your cycling gold medal if that is what you need to move on...
I am mostly picking on Devashish_Paul's statement how easy it was for a good skater to become a good cyclist. So many posts later and we've really found two women but the rest are not skaters.

Well you said good skater to good cyclist which is what I am focusing on not, going from Olympic Skater to Olympic Cyclist. That's a higher bar just to make the Olympics

Sorry man, I don't think you can use Olympic medals do determine if it is possible for a speed skater to transition easily to cycling. And to be specific, they will generally do better at TTing and track cycling since speed skaters are bigger athletes relative to Froome or Quintana. But you likely have not been exposed to this sport adequately to make that determination. Those who are in the sport know. So asking you again....have you ever been on speed skates ever?
"If you get the right guy with the right physiology it does not take much. Same reason a speed skater can cross over to cycling and win gold medals in both sports....but you can't cross over from being a stud at cycling to speed skating or swimming because you have to acquire technical skills."

--> gold medals in both sports is what you said

Ok thanks, when I said that I meant taking kids or even adult athletes locally between sports and getting them on podiums at local and regional levels (we have lots of examples of that, especially in Canada where lots of kids skate at least in hockey and figure skating and you see the strong skaters quickly become strong cyclists). But you can't take cyclist kids and convert them to speed skaters easily (we can take hockey players and figure skaters and make them into speed skaters). That takes a lot of techincal skill as I mentioned...just like swimming takes technical skill. Olympic games is a different bar. Body types come into play too as well as specialization. Look at a protour male cyclist. Even the biggest guys are tiny compared to most long track pros (and that was Heiden's problem as a a pro cyclist). And you basically provided a great example with Lotto-Jumbo. No way both groups would be able to train well together. The training is too different when there are doing sport specific stuff. This does not mean that the physiology does not cross over....training is just too different and if the cyclist don't know now to skate it would just be a ridiculous group session anyway, almost like getting basketball players in the pool with Phelps.

In any case talk to your friends in Holland if you don't believe the physiology crosses over. If you put a 5000m skater on a TT bike for a straight and flat 4000m bike TT with a 4000m bike pursuit athlete, you'd be surprised how well the skater will do. Put a 4000m pursuit guy on skates (let's say Wiggins or Boardman if they can't skate) and most 9 year old kids who can skate will beat them.
Quote Reply
Re: Michael Phelps switching to triathlon. [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

PS. Who the hell on an endurance sports forum has to google Heiden...this is like googling Spitz, Zatopek, Bannister, Merckx, Anquetil, Rodgers, Waitz etc etc...them being before our time seems like a lame excuse for googling them
I have to google some of them. Not every sport is popular in every country and my history class in school did not cover sports. And guess what, none of it is relevant in a discussion about gold medals in cycling combined with gold medals in skating.

we're on an endurance sports forum and I gave you names who are big in the history of running, cycling and swimming. Nothing really that hard, and I don't expect your history class to cover ANY of them, but if you're going to be debating the cycling career of Heiden and then resorting to google and missing many of his achievements (that would be found on wikipedia or footage on youtube), while not understanding the difference in body types in different type of cycling and then complaining that Heiden was before your time, well I provided you with a number of names before the times of almost everyone around here, who are part of the history of endurance sport.

Minimally you SHOULD understand that the body type for pro level speed skating and pro tour cycling are different (encapsulated in your Lotto Jumbo example). It does not mean that at regional levels or even for specific events at national level (like flat TT's) that skaters can't be competitive.

Anyway, coming back to entire overall thread topic, its just hard to go from non technical sports to technical ones, and much easier to go from technical to non technical provided the athlete has the right physiology for that sport. It's why coaches in none technical sport can scout talent from technical sport, but coaches in technical sport won't even bother touching athletes without the skill side. There is a reason why in triathlon we recruit high caliber youth swimmers who happen to be light enough to also convert into runners. We're not worried about cycling because if they can swim and are light, we got ourselves the right raw material (maybe the first three examples of this are Mark Allen, Dave Scott and Scott Molina all coming from swim backgrounds). Phelps would be the wrong raw material given his weight.
Quote Reply
Re: Michael Phelps switching to triathlon. [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The GOAT is gonna be a tri-geek

Luc van Lierde was originally a top age group swimmer in Belgium. He was a good swimmer that made the transition extremely well to triathlon. He was I believe primarily a breaststroke and IM swimmer.

So this is another example of a swimmer of short events doing well at long distances. Van Lierde liked to run and had a very high VO2max.

==============

Jerry Cosgrove

Sports Resource Group
http://www.lactate.com
https://twitter.com/@LactatedotCom
Last edited by: Jerryc: Apr 23, 18 10:22
Quote Reply
Re: Michael Phelps switching to triathlon. [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What lightheir said. In my experience as a Peleton owner, top ~5% is around 220 avg watts for a 45 minute class. If that's close to a "hard" effort for Phelps he isn't competing with pro tour riders anytime soon.

lightheir wrote:
I disagree. I think.phelps has worked legs hard on fly etc but it doesn't bcross over enough.

Seriously, the guy says he's like top 5-10 percent against peloron spin classers! That would probably get you top 25 percent in a typical age group triathlon field on a GOOD day, and bottom 10 percent against cat4 pure cyclists.

Don't even attempt to compare a protour cyclist with a top 5 percent peloton spin bike rider....

I'm not even joking, I'll give my measly self great odds of not only beating him in a 40k bike done tomorrow, and I'm not even close to a good age group triathlon cyclist. This is based on his self professed peloton standings.

He'd kill me for sure though if he took it seriously for a few months.
Last edited by: lschaan: Apr 23, 18 11:43
Quote Reply
Re: Michael Phelps switching to triathlon. [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_Rebagliati

"Ross Rebagliati (born July 14, 1971) is a Canadian professional snowboarder, Olympic Gold Medal Winner and founder of Ross' Gold, a Canadian medical cannabis branding company.

After turning pro in 1991, he was the first ever to win an Olympic gold medal for Men's Snowboarding at the 1998 Winter Olympics. After winning the gold, he was found to have Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) in his circulatory system following a blood test and he was automatically disqualified. This decision was eventually overturned, largely on the basis that marijuana was not on the list of banned substances, and Rebagliati was given back the medal."

TBH, I'd have been disappointed if he hadn't been a stoner..! :)
Quote Reply
Re: Michael Phelps switching to triathlon. [BrzilianTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrzilianTri wrote:
He just did it because one of his friends dared him to do it. He said he never ran a 10k before his first race. The guy that was coaching him said Thiago did not know how to run.
Thiago strikes me as one of those swimmers that are not too athletic and looks like he never did much cross training.
What he did just put triathlon on the spotlight in Brazil for a little bit. But I am not sure if it was good or bad, having an Olympic medalist having a hard time.

I think it would be more accurate to say that Thiago may not have the athletic skills needed to run well; i say "may not" b/c, as Dev Paul pointed out, he is carrying an extra 25 lbs above his normal competition weight which obv will affect his running prowess. His swim-specific athletic skills are clearly world class and, as many have stated, he could prob be a very fast cyclist if he set his mind to it.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply

Prev Next