Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shiv Brakes
Quote | Reply
What are the options to replace the brakes on a Specialized Shiv? Brought some Shimano direct mount brakes and they do not fit. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv Brakes [tomk407] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PM sent
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, the bolt spacing is slightly different than Shimano direct mount. The posts in the frame that the stock TRP brake slide onto can be removed, but are very securely torqued in. Just takes some elbow grease to remove.

The TriRig Omega SV bolts directly into those holes, but the newer Omega X comes with an adapter to work. Those are the most common replacement brakes for that bike.

Also, some models of the Shiv come with Magura RT hydraulic brakes. Again, an adapter is needed, but you also need to use 2 rear brakes (the standard front brake comes with too long of a bolt).

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do yourself a huge favor and spend the cash on 2 Tririg Omega X brakes. They are super easy to install on the Shiv and makes cabling/adjusting super simple. I’ve got them on my Shiv and they’re awesome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for TriRig Omega X. You will not be disappointed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you ever figure out how to get the shimano direct mount brakes to work or did you go with the Omega?

I'm in a similar boat. Removed the brake post, but then the screw for the shimano direct mount is too small to screw into the frame.
Last edited by: sixNine: Jun 13, 18 7:08
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv Brakes [sixNine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some how or another those brake posts need to be modified to accept the Shimano M6 screws. I wish there was a way. Maybe a machine shop could modify those brake posts.
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv Brakes [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just done this, can you recommend a particular lever that works well with them? I bought my shiv tt frame set without the base bar so am using my own levers. Omega stem and brakes. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv Brakes [Litespeedtim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can’t tell you every lever that works well with Omega X, but I haven’t found one that doesn’t. The two I’m currently running are the latest Shimano Di2 TT and an older Hed Corsair with the integrated levers. Ensuring the bend of the cable isn’t too drastic is the only thing I’ve ever spent any time working on. One bike is cabled from lever to brake. The other uses the Tririg-provided sleeve that allows you to run a bare cable vertically from basebar to brake. Both work like butter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Shiv TT and these fit:

Brakes:
  • TRP T920
  • TRP T922.1
Brake Posts:
  • RockShox Brake post stud kit, 97+ Rock Shox (M8) pr
  • https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CK0LUG?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Quote Reply
Re: Shiv Brakes [Litespeedtim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any lever works but in my experience SRAM's just don't feel good with them. Shimano's are great. TRP's work well also. It's too bad because I like how SRAM's look but it just creates a squishy feel.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv Brakes [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks v much everyone, useful info indeed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While on the subject of the rim brakes for the older style Shiv, does anyone have advice for keeping the rear brake operating smoothly?

The cable routing for the rear brake is awkward, and the location under the bottom bracket is ideal for picking up road grime. The rear brake sometimes doesn't fully release when I let go of the brake lever. Some bikes with rear brakes under the bottom bracket have a fairing that partially covers the brake, but not my Shiv. I've resolved my next triathlon bike will have disc brakes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chuck them and upgrade to TriRig if Nick actually every gets back to things. Love my TriRig stuff but the customer service, has really taken an unfriendly turn.
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv Brakes [Fredo_Adagio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fredo_Adagio wrote:
While on the subject of the rim brakes for the older style Shiv, does anyone have advice for keeping the rear brake operating smoothly?

The cable routing for the rear brake is awkward, and the location under the bottom bracket is ideal for picking up road grime. The rear brake sometimes doesn't fully release when I let go of the brake lever. Some bikes with rear brakes under the bottom bracket have a fairing that partially covers the brake, but not my Shiv. I've resolved my next triathlon bike will have disc brakes.

The way my used Shiv came, and the way it ended up after a few weeks of training in the rain, is the pivots for the rear brake get really nasty. Disconnect the cable and see if it runs smooth (hold tension on cable with your hand and operate lever.) Then check the operation of the brake pivots by hand. See which part of the rear brake system is bad.

I've had to take the rear brake off and grease the pivots/mounting bolts a couple of times now - but I'll probably just stop riding it in the rain. Also make sure you clean it all before you slab more grease on there. And avoid leaky bottles which will run down to your brake and make them sticky.

I found the cable routing is actually pretty good on the shiv tt - you just need to keep everything clean. I just redid it all on my Shiv and my rear brake feels 95% as smooth as my front one.
Last edited by: TTrider4921: Jul 6, 21 5:57
Quote Reply