Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ms. Haley - don't take the fall. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
quote]
I honestly think that she is the one person that Trump is truly afraid of. Not in the sense of what she could do to him, but how he feels about all his other employees and his general disregard for them as people, or their well beings. He is of course afraid of Mueller, that is why he will leave him alone, at least it is too late to do anything to stop what he started now anyway. But Nikki, I think she is hands off for him, he somehow senses that to fire her would be too far, and that is saying something since he will fire anyone else in his employ.[/quote]
I'd put Mattis in the similar, perhaps even more powerful, position. He is less of a political threat as Haley as far as aspirations, but he knows Mattis is far smarter, more principled, more prepared, a better leader, and far more respected than he ever will be. In some respects he, like Haley, is many things Trump knows he could never be. And he knows both his base and his critics see that.

Mattis isn't serving Trump, in his mind he is serving the country and protecting it to some degree FROM Trump. There is a reason why Mattis and Kelly have an agreement for one of them to be with/near Trump at all times.

Trump knows if he fires Mattis- or worse for him, if Mattis quits because of Trump's actions- it will carry far more weight than any other cabinet member, including Haley in my opinion. Mattis, while not a politician by origin, has navigated a path where he has consistently disagreed with Trump in how and what to do, yet he has not been the subject of a hint a criticism from Trump.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Ms. Haley - don't take the fall. [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You mentioned Trumps base. All of what you said might be true but one part.

Trumps base doesn't give a shit who he fires. If Trump fired someone... they deserved it.

Meuller... Mattis... Haley...

Doesn't matter to Trumps base.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Ms. Haley - don't take the fall. [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We will have to disagree on Mattis.

Most of the Trumpsters I know personally hold him in far higher regard than they do Trump.

My sense is that some Trump supporters are not entirely immune to reality, and are fatigued with Trump's daily chaos, scandals, confusion, flip flopping and failing to deliver, so like Bob Corker admitted this week,

Quote:
"Look, any Republican senator that hasn’t been conflicted over this presidency is either comatose or is pretty useless in their blindness, okay? And we’ve got some of both, of course. Not many.”
“We have a president who will sign legislation that we pass on the Republican side, and then we have chaotic things that occur on a daily basis,”

There are of course those who will never admit that their allegiance to Trump is waning, a few even still post here. But they can't or won't defend him in a logical discussion... just insults and "but Hillary."

I don't have a good feel for what the mix of Trump's base- outside of those that I know personally- is composed of either full on Trumpster or reluctant Trump supporter, nor can I understand how they have so fervently supported him thus far, so perhaps I am complete wrong about Mattis.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Ms. Haley - don't take the fall. [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was talking with a Trumpster last night. He said he didn't care how many people Trump hired or fired, he thinks he's doing a good job - specifically on taxes, though upon further enquiry he admitted that he thought the long term fiscal situation is unsustainable. So I said to him, basically you're just happy for yourself, and he said yeah.

This is a white collar finance guy living in an affluent NJ suburb. That said, he and all the others I was with last night think Trump is an idiot, and all think he's going down at some point.

Off topic, he also thought the use of Christopher Steele's information was wrong, but he couldn't explain to me how he thought it was legally wrong. I pointed out to him that Steele potentially helped the US by discovering Trump may be compromised by the Russians and alerted US authorities to that risk. He seemed unfazed by the fact that Steele discovered that Trump MAY have been involved in various crimes, and was instead just fixated on how bad it was that the Dems used an ex British agent to gather the information. I said that was like complaining about the use of undercover agents in busting a crime ring.
Quote Reply

Prev Next