Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Marbella 70.3
Quote | Reply
Has anyone any knowledge of the course in Marbella or rode any of the course?
It looks pretty lumpy but what are the climbs & descents like? Long & gradual, short and steep, technical, hairpins etc or is there a chance to gain some speed back on the descents?

Anyone any idea or knowledge f the course?
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Marbella 70.3 [IMF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone?
Or anyone else even doing this race?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based on the distance and altitude difference it doesn't seem to be much steeper than 6-7% or something like that. I'm fairly familiar within the area, but haven't been through the bike route so a little unsure. They wrote it's "techinical" and "fast".. ofcourse, that depends on what you're used to :-)

I'll be driving/riding through the route on tuesday next week so can post back then.
Quote Reply
Re: Marbella 70.3 [hhetland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot. If you can let me know after Tuesday that would be great. The climbs look steep and long but I’m interested if the descents are technical hairpins or of there is a chance to make up time
Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,
I´m a local triathlete , well, not anymore, just coaching now :)

I´ll try to help you.

First 6k from Puerto Banus to Marbella Town are flat.
Once in town you start the first climb.

First climb is 12k , take a look to this chart (but just until you reach k12 -puerto de Ojen) :
http://www.altimetrias.net/...Perfilusu.asp?id=225

You can split this first climb in 2 uphills , you got 2k downhill-flat in between.
The last part of the climb you got some 8.5-10% sections , on a narrow S-shape road.

Once reached Puerto de Ojen you'll ride on a very fast section , good road , mostly downhill and flat where you'll ride on aero position until you reach the turnaround point.

The way back is tricky , you gotta climb back what you have descended , and it can feel long , its around 24k of climbing or false flat until you reach Puerto de Ojen again .
The descent from Puerto de Ojen will be on the wide road , so it will also be very fast .
Then you got 6k flat from Marbella town to Puerto Banus.

Plus...it could be windy !

Hope this helps.

If you got any more questions just let me know.

Jaime
Quote Reply
Re: Marbella 70.3 [jaimev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot Jaime. That's very useful.
So the 1st climb we do the 1st 12km of it to Puerto de Ojen, we don't do the whole 18km on the chart? Right?
It does seem like there are some good sections for getting aero.
On the long 24km back to Ojen, is that steep or just a long drag?
Looks like a good course - do you think its a tough/slow as the profile suggests?
What about the run, are you familiar with the run course? That seems just flat out an back along the sea front, right?

Thanks a lot
Quote Reply