Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is the PI Octane skinsuit still a good option?
Quote | Reply
Is this suit outdated or still a good choice? My new suit is likely not going to arrive in time for my next race and trying to decide what to wear.
Quote Reply
Re: Is the PI Octane skinsuit still a good option? [jellyfish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Is the PI Octane skinsuit still a good option? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, as not outdated or no as still a good option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Outdated. If it’s all you have, wear it until you get your new suit.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jellyfish wrote:
Is this suit outdated or still a good choice? My new suit is likely not going to arrive in time for my next race and trying to decide what to wear.

I can’t think of any developments in suits that would make the PI outdated. The biggest factor would beindividual, and unless you tested the PI vs new suits, you’d never know.

If you want ‘highly Likely among the fastest,’ a garneau M2 would get you there.

(One more data point: the octane and m2 tested about the same for me, and although I race in the M2, I’m buying an Octane as my backup suit in case the M2 goes wrong).
Quote Reply
Re: Is the PI Octane skinsuit still a good option? [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davetallo wrote:
jellyfish wrote:

I can’t think of any developments in suits that would make the PI outdated. The biggest factor would beindividual, and unless you tested the PI vs new suits, you’d never know.

If you want ‘highly Likely among the fastest,’ a garneau M2 would get you there.

(One more data point: the octane and m2 tested about the same for me, and although I race in the M2, I’m buying an Octane as my backup suit in case the M2 goes wrong).

What would make the M2 "go wrong", as opposed to just wearing out?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it was a good suit for you ever, it's still going to be a good suit. New suits won't change that.

There's a chance a new suit might be better though.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Is the PI Octane skinsuit still a good option? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
davetallo wrote:
jellyfish wrote:

What would make the M2 "go wrong", as opposed to just wearing out?

Tearing, or the fabric stretching and getting loose and wrinkly on the shoulders. So, wearing out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri overthinking 101. If the suit fits, is comfy, and doesn't impair you in anyway it's good. Sure I don't deny some might be better but not so much as to say a PI Octane is no longer a good suit.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Is the PI Octane skinsuit still a good option? [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Missing Kona by 58 seconds will cause you to overthink a lot! So, if new technology says the suit is outdated, I will spend some dough for temp suit until the one on order arrives.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any data comparing it to newer ones you can share or have seen? I tend to believe that a good fitting one will be very close to newer ones that also fit well.
Quote Reply
Re: Is the PI Octane skinsuit still a good option? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. Suit data is just like helmets and everything else. Buy what you like and ride your bike.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well then it isn’t really “outdated” at least from a speed perspective which I think was the question posed. Maybe slightly so in
Terms of stylishness.
Quote Reply
Re: Is the PI Octane skinsuit still a good option? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's outdated to me because of the half-zip. I hate half-zip suits.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
It's outdated to me because of the half-zip. I hate half-zip suits.

I have used a bunch of one piece, sleeved suits and nothing compares to the PI Octane when it comes to the feel. It's almost like a second skin. Absolute perfection there, IMO.

Negatives:

- The pad isn't great, in fact it kind of sucks. Not so much the padding but the way it's integrated into the suit. YMMV.
- The zipper sucks. Half zip is almost pointless for bathroom breaks. Why every suit hasn't adopted a version of Desoto's flisuit idea is beyond me.
- It hasn't held up well compared to other suits. Desoto and LG stuff seems of better quality and has held up a lot better. I still have Desoto gear from like 10 years ago that still works great.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Is the PI Octane skinsuit still a good option? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree that half zip sucks and with the PI suit, it’s either on or forget it—you are not putting it on in T1 after having it rolled down primarily because of the half zip. The pad in the Oxtane is the worst I have ever seen but this is personal and I don’t think an issue of being outdated; there are more modern products with bad pads too. But besides the pad it’s a very comfy suit and I think it would still test well.
Quote Reply