Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Disc or power at IM Texas. Can't have both.
Quote | Reply
I use a powertap wheel when I train and I race on an old rear 808 (tubular) with a powertap hub. It's been re-spoked in the last few years. (New in about 2008.)

I have the option to race with a disc next Saturday but that means I don't have power. Any thoughts? This is Ironman #18 so I'm not new to this distance but I'm a bit addicted to my power meter too. Any thoughts? I will have heart rate. Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc or power at IM Texas. Can't have both. [Petrus101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$90 disc cover? Not sure if you can get one in time, but I would have figured you would have one by now.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc or power at IM Texas. Can't have both. [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never thought about that option. I'll look. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power 100%. 808 is a fast wheel and will only give up a little time to a disc (I would guess less than a minute, but I don't really know). You've been training with power and your race plan is likely based on it, seems foolish to give that up.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc or power at IM Texas. Can't have both. [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just bought a disc cover. Will be delivered in 2 days. Problem solved! Thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Petrus101 wrote:
I use a powertap wheel when I train and I race on an old rear 808 (tubular) with a powertap hub. It's been re-spoked in the last few years. (New in about 2008.)

I have the option to race with a disc next Saturday but that means I don't have power. Any thoughts? This is Ironman #18 so I'm not new to this distance but I'm a bit addicted to my power meter too. Any thoughts? I will have heart rate. Thank you.

Hearing your addicted to your power meter opens up the issue - lets say your power meter goes "tits up" during or just before you start your ride are you saying that because you won't have a power meter you couldn't race well? If this is #18 and unless your going for KQ why not run the disc and see how you make out throw caution to the wind and race off of feel - see how you do.

------------------------------------------------------------
"PAIN is nothing compared to what it feels like to QUIT" Wink
Quote Reply
Re: Disc or power at IM Texas. Can't have both. [mooseknuckle69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Ironman PR is with heart rate and no power and I'm in the range for a KQ if I have a great day and someone else has a tough day. If I loser power I'll be ok but having it would be my preference especially early and late in the race. On a course like Texas where it's flat it's nice to have that extra metric to focus on. That said, my PR was in AZ and I had no power and kept my HR range narrow and had my best run off the bike. Point taken. Maybe I'll live on the wild side and take it off my screen. Maybe:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much time do you think the cover will save
Quote Reply
Re: Disc or power at IM Texas. Can't have both. [CJAC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
95+% of the time a full disc will save
Quote Reply
Re: Disc or power at IM Texas. Can't have both. [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which would roughly be?
Quote Reply
Re: Disc or power at IM Texas. Can't have both. [CJAC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That really depends on how fast you're moving and what the wind is doing. Reasonable drag reduction vs 808 at higher yaw. Fairly similar to 808 at low yaw. Fewer watts to spin, which i must admit i don't fully understand. As with literally every aero question asked, the answer is "it depends, go test to find out"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said get a wheel cover and have both. Seems silly to have a power meter for all your training then not use it when racing. Also, silly to not use a disc when you have the ability too. Get the best of both worlds and race smart and fast!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Disc or power at IM Texas. Can't have both. [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One saves you time (disc). The other gives you feedback. I have a couple of age group time trial and tri bike course records from over the years ... performances that far exceeded what I thought was realistic. They came on days where my taper plan worked and I just felt amazing. I had no power meter on any of those days and, if I had, I probably would have dialed back because of it. Then I wouldn't have those records.

Stay aero my friends.
Quote Reply