Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2017 KICKR Technology
Quote | Reply
In the article about the newest Wahoo KICKR, I found this paragraph about Power interesting:

"Wahoo thought outside the box when it modified its power algorithms for the 2017 KICKR. It eliminated the use of strain gauges and in essence doesn't have what most consider a "real" power meter, unlike its first-generation model. The 2016 and 2017 models derive power primarily from the amount of brake resistance applied, along with increasing the number of environmental sensors."

So, does this mean that everything old is new again, and the newest KICKR is just a fancier Computrainer, using an eddy current brake?
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 KICKR Technology [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's a great video explaining wahoo's realization that strain gauges were more problematic than needed for an indoor trainer.

The problem of computrtainers was not related to how it generated resistance, but rather how it missed a couple DECADES of changes to / moderinaztion in technology. ...oops.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 KICKR Technology [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shout out to my Computrainer aka Old Faithful..
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 KICKR Technology [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The brake uses electrical power to add the resistance, for all intensive purposes the power is same.

It is much easier to simply measure how much electricity(i.e. Power) it is using to generate the power for the resistance than trying to measure how much power is being exerted on the unit and trying to adjust resistance to suit.
Quote Reply