Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone upgrade 10->11 with a Shimano HG800 cassette?
Quote | Reply
11 speed cassette with 11-34 gearing.
Evenly spaced gearing and a big bailout gear for steeps.

I have an old 10 speed FLO disc was thinking this might work....
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone upgrade 10->11 with a Shimano HG800 cassette? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is one of those products that makes me scratch my head because something doesn't add up

Does the shifting suck? If not why did Shimano change the spacing on all other 11 sp cassettes? And why has it taken so long to produce such a product? Also why not offer an 11-28 version of the same cassette which would be attractive to a much larger market who want to upgrade 10spd wheels to 11spd?

This product also screams 1x but Shimano still doesn't seem committed to the 1x system.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone upgrade 10->11 with a Shimano HG800 cassette? [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the XT 11-40 with a similar design. My understanding is you need a big enough cog to cantilever over the spokes.

And yes this is perfect for 1x. Or breathing new life into 10-speed wheels.

There are no drawbacks other than bigger jumps between gears, which is an obvious tradeoff for a wider range.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone upgrade 10->11 with a Shimano HG800 cassette? [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kjmcawesome wrote:
I have the XT 11-40 with a similar design. My understanding is you need a big enough cog to cantilever over the spokes.

And yes this is perfect for 1x. Or breathing new life into 10-speed wheels.

There are no drawbacks other than bigger jumps between gears, which is an obvious tradeoff for a wider range.

Ah-ha! "cantilever over the spokes" makes sense and why it's not offered in say... 11-28.

The spacing is pretty good on this cassette. Almost entirely 2 tooth jumps.

I think I might go to a 54/42, 11-34 setup.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone upgrade 10->11 with a Shimano HG800 cassette? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's the rundown from someone who actually knows what they are talking about: https://cyclingtips.com/...34t-cassette-review/

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Ah-ha! "cantilever over the spokes" makes sense and why it's not offered in say... 11-28.

Actually, there is easily enough space to 'cantilever over the spokes' with an 11-25 too. That is why folks like Lasco Concept can safely modify 11-speed 11-25 cassettes to fit older 10-speed wheels perfectly. If you're interested, there is a bit more info here.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
11 speed cassette with 11-34 gearing.
Evenly spaced gearing and a big bailout gear for steeps.

I have an old 10 speed FLO disc was thinking this might work....

I have that cassette on a 10 speed specific mt bike wheelset (for gravel/CX) and it's been fantastic. I have at least 4 wheelsets going for that bike and have not had to make any adjustments for the 11-34 cassette vs. the 11-28 or the 11-32's on the other wheels when swapping wheels. If you're cool with the gearing, it's a great way to go with that FLO disc.
Quote Reply