Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New road bike: nailed Stack and Reach, what next?
Quote | Reply
It is time to replace my old alu Felt frame with something new, I've been able to identify several frame/size options that will replicate my current stack and reach (thanks ST stem calculator!) and now I am wondering what else there is to influence my buying decision. These are my questions:

Is there any other measure I NEED to look at to avoid a buying disaster? Not looking at subtle differences like "this size will handle marginally better", just trying to avoid a big mistake. Narrowed my options to a Size 61 frame, with -6Âş 100mm slammed (in Cervelo) or 20mm raised (Specialized) stem.I fear going for the biggest size frame and missing a key parameter.

Also, several brands offer the same geometry for their road and aero frames (Cervelo S and R, Specialized Tarmac and Venge). I am focusing on 70.3 training (riding a Shiv as well), and my typical day in the saddle is a 2 to 5 hours ride, normally with 400 to 1000 meters in elevation, but I also race some draft legal sprint and olimpic events now and then, just for fun. Should I go for, say a Tarmac, or a Venge will also be fine?

Finally, any other frame reccomendation in the area of Stack 610/620 Reach 410? Disc brakes (rainy hilly place) and Di2 are a must as well.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Sr. Salitre
Quote Reply
Re: New road bike: nailed Stack and Reach, what next? [SrSalitre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Make sure that at your desired saddle height, that the seatpost angle can give the amount of setback you want.

I use a ISM seat on my road bike, and the bike ended up getting the seat back just barely to where I liked it.
Quote Reply
Re: New road bike: nailed Stack and Reach, what next? [SrSalitre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For a 61cm frame, a 100mm stem is pretty short. Not sure how much fast cornering or hard descending you do, but slightly less reach would enable you to run a 110 or 120mm stem and get more weight on the front wheel, which will make the bike corner a bit better when you're close to the limit. This is really a weight distribution issue.
Quote Reply
Re: New road bike: nailed Stack and Reach, what next? [vjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah I was going to say the same... 58cm bike w/ up to 140mm stem is fine.

vjohn wrote:
For a 61cm frame, a 100mm stem is pretty short. Not sure how much fast cornering or hard descending you do, but slightly less reach would enable you to run a 110 or 120mm stem and get more weight on the front wheel, which will make the bike corner a bit better when you're close to the limit. This is really a weight distribution issue.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: New road bike: nailed Stack and Reach, what next? [Sim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sim wrote:
Make sure that at your desired saddle height, that the seatpost angle can give the amount of setback you want.

I use a ISM seat on my road bike, and the bike ended up getting the seat back just barely to where I liked it.

Agreed. Stack and reach numbers should get you close, but the seat tube angle and how long your legs are will determine how far away the center of the mounting bracket on the seat post is from the bottom bracket.

That said, the other consideration I always look at with a road bike these days is tire clearance. Room for 28's is a big plus IMO and more of the 2017 and 2018 road bikes are moving towards it. Since I moved from 23's to 25's on my old CAAD10 a couple of years ago, I've seen a difference in comfort. I can't wait till I can move to 28's with my next road bike. I've commuted on 32 slicks on my CX bike, and that's like riding on a pillow when on the road.
Quote Reply
Re: New road bike: nailed Stack and Reach, what next? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I will do the math for a 58 frame and see what stem and spacers I get. My initial goal was a slammed stem but I will not sacrifice performance for aesthetics :-)

Sr. Salitre
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SrSalitre wrote:
Thanks, I will do the math for a 58 frame and see what stem and spacers I get. My initial goal was a slammed stem but I will not sacrifice performance for aesthetics :-)

you could get a taller road bike, like a Cervelo S5 and slam a stem.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: New road bike: nailed Stack and Reach, what next? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And it will be easier to resell a 58 over a 61.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You mean a C5? S5 has lower stack than the S3/R3 if I am correct

Sr. Salitre
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What levers and handlebars are on your current bike? Keep that handlebar reach in mind when calculating your new setup. If you're set on hydraulic, those levers can be longer than mechanical levers that are likely on your current Felt. I think I measured the Shimano 685 levers almost 1 cm exact longer reach than the same 5800/6800 series 105 and Ultegra mechanical levers. I don't know how much longer the current gen 8000/9100 series hydro levers are. I haven't owned any SRAM ones to measure.

If you currently have a compact/short handlebar with a 70mm reach and older mechanical levers, going to a new bike with average handlebars and hydro levers could suddenly add 20mm of reach and you're now running a size 61 frame with an 80mm handlebar.

If you're in the USA and don't want the exact same two Specialized bikes that show up at every ride, the BH G7 in an XL could be a compelling argument. I'm not sure there's a Tarmac with disc brakes and di2 under 11k either. The stack is slightly higher than a lot of race bikes and the reach is 396 and stack is 595. If you can handle a spacer under the stem, that could put you really close. The stock handlebar is the aero version of the Easton EC70 with an 80mm reach. The wheels are a touch narrow, but high quality. It's what I wanted last year, but there were no XL's left and they hadn't released the 2018's. Lots of great options out there right now. Trek Emonda SL 7 Disc also gets you di2, hydro disc and very close to your preferred fit without many being on the road right now.

That BH paint is pretty slick!

The Emonda looks good too

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, you're correct. The current S5 is lower than the equivalent-sized S3/R3.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply