Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Boston Marathon Recap, shuffling the deck.... [clydecat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
being in the southern hemisphere, just heading into winter and switching focus from 70.3 to marathon, its been on my mind recently the lack of run specific technical clothing as compared to cycling. the castelli gabba was released in 2013 and marked a real development in technical cycling gear for bad weather which has since been copied and evolved. 5 years later, there still seems to be little to nothing of the sort for running. sure, running is typically less affected by weather than cycling but boston has just shown us it is far from immune to it. think i'll be wearing cycling gear again for much of my winter running
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon Recap, shuffling the deck.... [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Have world class runners never run a race in this kind of weather before? It was crazy, what ever happened to tights, head band and long sleeve poly pro? All they had for back up was a wind breaker from the 1970's?

first question has a simple answer - no.. nearly all the majors are carefully positioned on the calendar/world for moderate conditions.
Des had a good well-fitted jacket, the Nike guys/gals had great shoes and drag parachutes for jackets.. quite a fail indeed.
I was startled to see no tights, for myself would certainly have been wearing my foul-weather Amfib tights or similar.

definitely not just a rainy spring day though, windchill in the 20s with pouring rain is hypothermia city. Shalene said she bit her tongue at mile 6, her teeth were chattering so hard.. Molly Huddle in 4th place with a couple miles to go, thought her glasses were fogging over then remembered she wasn't wearing glasses, that was her vision going in the cold..

in those conditions the form book goes out the window and the cold-adapted and genetically lucky, do best. Des was ready to run low 2:20s I believe, ran smart and thoughtfully as always, and prevailed. I am so happy..

Second place woman, https://www.instagram.com/p/Bho2iiTFDP2

I wouldn't run as skimpily clad as that, in fifty degrees of clear weather..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Des went through a dark spot and after bridging back up with Flanagan came around. //

Honestly I dont think she really ever came out of that dark spot, it was just that everyone in front of her quit or blew sky high. She ran a very pedestrian time, especially as compared to the mens winning time, and the funny part is no one was even close for 2nd!! They both just ran what they could and on this day just finishing in ok shape won you a lot of money. She is a much more class runner than Kawauchi, but it seems the men had an even harder time than the women.

Like I said, this would have been a good day I believe for a lot of triathletes, no doubt that the Brownlees would have thrived in this weather, along with a to of other pro Tri folks. I mean it looked like amatuer hour out there looking at everyone with their various kits on. Have world class runners never run a race in this kind of weather before? It was crazy, what ever happened to tights, head band and long sleeve poly pro? All they had for back up was a wind breaker from the 1970's? All their closing sponsors should be shot, it was absolutely unprofessional. And it cost most everyone their race too, like it was the Antarctic marathon or something. Not just some rainy day in spring, jeeesh!!

I know this is going to sound bad, but I come from a running background not tri. Wearing tight clothes or tri type stuff as a distance runner is often seen as....ugh....hobbyjogger stuff. Yes I realize that’s ridiculous but it is kinda there.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon Recap, shuffling the deck.... [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is definitely an ego problem for some runners, although I’ve seen the same with swimmers... people saying ‘No I just don’t wear jammers because it’s not the done thing’. I get looking like a bit of a tool in comparison to other people, but it’s not as much of a difference as showing up to an Ironman on a mountain bike.

I live in Scotland and like a lot of people who have four seasons you need to wear what is necessary to get the job done. I’ve raced an Olympic distance tri in weather like yesterday and it was fairly miserable but having trained in similar weather definitely helped.

People have different strengths and some will manage cooler conditions well. I would struggle in a hot race purely based on the fact I can’t replicate it in training. If you lived somewhere warm and that’s what you’ve got to train in then you’d get better at hot races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
She is a much more class runner than Kawauchi, but it seems the men had an even harder time than the women.

Spoken like someone who doesn't know his history..... I think ST needs a write up of Mr citizen runner
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon Recap, shuffling the deck.... [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
monty wrote:
She is a much more class runner than Kawauchi, but it seems the men had an even harder time than the women.

Spoken like someone who doesn't know his history..... I think ST needs a write up of Mr citizen runner

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6610044#p6610044

https://deadspin.com/...g-winners-1825293545
  • He’s a government employee in Japan who doesn’t run professionally and has a full-time job.
  • This was at least his 71st competitive marathon since the beginning of 2012—averaging just under one a month. Overall, he’s run in at least 81 marathons.
  • He’s run 26 of them faster than 2:12 and 79 of them under 2:20. Both of those numbers are world records.
  • In January, Kawauchi ran a 2:18:59 marathon in Marshfield, Massachusetts in one-degree weather. He was the only finisher.
  • That race gave him the most marathons ever run under 2:20; he finished two more between then and Boston. (Obviously he was the only one of his competitors to have already run a marathon this year. Today was his fourth of 2018.)
  • The NYPD mysteriously clipped him in the 2014 New York City Marathon.
  • Today in Boston he beat defending world and Boston champion Geoffrey Kirui, and defending Chicago champion and all-around stud Galen Rupp. No one finished within two minutes of him.

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon Recap, shuffling the deck.... [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Its fascinating how much conditions can play a part.

I only saw a few pictures and listened to a few post-race interviews, but I was really surprised to see what some of the top runners were wearing.

- Big billowing rain jackets in a head wind race!

- Completely bare legs

- Nothing on their heads - no tuques

It appears many of the race favorites succumbed to and suffered in the conditions. Those jackets that more than a few were wearing at the start, were acting like parachutes holding them back. Look to cycling for more form-fitting (aerodynamic or less wind grabbing) garments!

With air temps where they were and the wet conditions, they should have thought more about keeping the legs covered, and borrowing again from cycling and using some embrocation treatment before to help keep the legs warm

25% - 30% of heat loss is through the head - wear a tuque.

I spent many a winter in Vancouver running in wet and 0C - 5C conditions. Always ran in full tights or half-tights with knickers with a brushed inner surface to provide a bit more warmth and wicking - leg muscles are generating large amounts of heat so moisture moves well from skin to outside.

On upper body a skin tight stretchy thinner fleece material is best next to skin, and then some form of close fitting, windbreaker like vest over that that is vented well in the back, thin gloves/mittens and a tuque. In conditions like that, you are NEVER going to stay dry and the game is controlling the environment right next to your skin as best as you can. A thin micro-fleece moves great amount of moisture from inside to outside. A good amount of heat can be moderated by taking tuque on and off, and when off just stuffing it in the waist-band of your tights

I totally agree with most of your points except that one. My grandma used to tell me the same thing but your heat loss from your head can only equal the amount skin (% of total body). Unless your head is 25-30% of your total skin mass then you are more likely in the range of 10ish%.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon Recap, shuffling the deck.... [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
definitely not just a rainy spring day though, windchill in the 20s with pouring rain is hypothermia city. Shalene said she bit her tongue at mile 6, her teeth were chattering so hard.. Molly Huddle in 4th place with a couple miles to go, thought her glasses were fogging over then remembered she wasn't wearing glasses, that was her vision going in the cold..

If that is the state they were in, then they were not warm enough - far from optimal - and needed to make some different choices for apparel.

In the picture you posted Sellers is really only wearing arm-warmers as extra. But there is a BIG range in runners individual tolerance and what they can cope with.

As I mentioned in a previous post, they probably needed to look to cycling, and some of the apparel used there for racing, training in similar conditions or Nordic skiing, a sport where it's often far colder than this for racing/training.

I note that in cycling the rule is generally cover the legs up when the temperature is below 15C to 18C. For running, historically I moved that down by about 5C so I would be looking to cover the legs either with full tights or half or knicker tights at 10C or lower.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon Recap, shuffling the deck.... [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doug in co wrote:
Molly Huddle in 4th place with a couple miles to go, thought her glasses were fogging over then remembered she wasn't wearing glasses, that was her vision going in the cold.

Possibly Corneal Edema: I've heard a lot about it lately

https://ultrarunnerpodcast.com/...ey-dauwalter-rrr100/

https://www.irunfar.com/...at-the-research.html

Sounds like a great name for a metal band

Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon Recap, shuffling the deck.... [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
synthetic wrote:
monty wrote:

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6610044#p6610044

https://deadspin.com/...g-winners-1825293545
  • He’s a government employee in Japan who doesn’t run professionally and has a full-time job.
  • This was at least his 71st competitive marathon since the beginning of 2012—averaging just under one a month. Overall, he’s run in at least 81 marathons.
  • He’s run 26 of them faster than 2:12 and 79 of them under 2:20. Both of those numbers are world records.
  • In January, Kawauchi ran a 2:18:59 marathon in Marshfield, Massachusetts in one-degree weather. He was the only finisher.
  • That race gave him the most marathons ever run under 2:20; he finished two more between then and Boston. (Obviously he was the only one of his competitors to have already run a marathon this year. Today was his fourth of 2018.)
  • The NYPD mysteriously clipped him in the 2014 New York City Marathon.
  • Today in Boston he beat defending world and Boston champion Geoffrey Kirui, and defending Chicago champion and all-around stud Galen Rupp. No one finished within two minutes of him.

What I heard yesterday was that it is a condition of employment that he cannot accept sponsorship for running. However, he can accept prize money. He has placed 3rd and 4th at the Tokyo Marathon, so Boston makes the 2nd podium in a major. He has won 30 (31?) marathons. This guy is both fast and strong. No, I doubt he would have won in good weather, but you take what nature gives you on the day. It was a fantastic win and great to see Japan back on the podium after Seko won Boston in 1981 and 1987. Footnote: in 1966, Japanese marathoners took 1-2-3-4 at Boston (1. Kenji Kemihara, Japan 2:17:116 2. Seiichiro Sasaki, Japan 2:17:34 3. Toru Terasawa, Japan 2:17:46 4. Hirokazu Okabe, Japan 2:18:11).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

If
I note that in cycling the rule is generally cover the legs up when the temperature is below 15C to 18C. For running, historically I moved that down by about 5C so I would be looking to cover the legs either with full tights or half or knicker tights at 10C or lower.

I definitely would have gone with half tights, mostly because these guys would be flicking rain onto their hamstrings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Derek is digging into the 2018 finishers' data

Quote:
The below data is based on the preliminary results of The 2018 Boston Marathon. The conditions were miserable. The wind was strong and the rain/sleet was challenging. Last year was a scorcher. The results were surprisingly similar for those that finished.

https://www.marathoninvestigation.com/...first-look-data.html

And look at this ...

Quote:
Relative to their qualifying times, Women performed better in Boston in 2018 as well as in 2017.

I guess that means [and feel free to correct me] that although both men and women BOTH suffered in 2017 [heat] and 2018 [wind, rain, snow, etc], the women sucked it up and were more badass than the men under the conditions, and didn't slip as far from their BQs

No surprise there; sorry, dudes

Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon Recap, shuffling the deck.... [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marklemcd wrote:
monty wrote:
I think you missed my point about Gwen, I think she would have thrived in those conditions. She does not need to pick some fast and hot race anywhere, she would do well in cold and super windy conditions, the kind that blows right through and forces everyone to run into it.

And dry up that race and make it 80 degrees, and the winners are not on the podium even, and they would just be anonymous finishers somewhere in the pack. That is why it is great to have these types of races every once in awhile, you get to see who the tough guys/gals really are...

Desi is an Olympian who has finished 2nd at Boston previously losing by a mere two seconds. To say she’d be an anonymous in the pack finisher is not even close to accurate.

Totally agree. Monty is dead wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon Recap, shuffling the deck.... [clydecat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
clydecat wrote:
Fleck, I was thinking along the same lines. The jacket that Kirui (2nd place) wore was like a parachute, had to create a tremendous amount of drag. Over 26 miles, and with that headwind, must have been quite the disadvantage. If we were wacthing Kona, and someone had a loose jersey on during the bike we would jump all over them. Yet, these are the best in the marathon world, and those were the choices .... of course I could never even be in the same neighborhood as them :-)

Exactly! Horrible clothing choice. I can only think that won't be a part of the next "Breaking 2" attempt.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon Recap, shuffling the deck.... [Broken Leg Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As I was starting my swim today I wondered if wearing a silicone swim cap would have been a good choice with a fabric beanie over that.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon Recap, shuffling the deck.... [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
As I was starting my swim today I wondered if wearing a silicone swim cap would have been a good choice with a fabric beanie over that.

I said in the other thread I saw a number of people with shower caps over their beanie yesterday. While of course it looks terrible it kept the beanie dry, was light and trapped a bit of extra heat in bit light enough not to overheat. Pretty brilliant I was thinking at the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon Recap, shuffling the deck.... [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kawauchi recently ran and won a half marathon in his home town wearing a full panda suit.

Andrew Inkpen
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon Recap, shuffling the deck.... [AndrewPhx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndrewPhx wrote:
Kawauchi recently ran and won a half marathon in his home town wearing a full panda suit.

Are you serious? That is awesome!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish I could read the Japanese press on his Boston win!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndrewPhx wrote:

OK, now we're getting into Chuck Norris territory

Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon Recap, shuffling the deck.... [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It seems Nike had a new cutting edge, throw all the technology we can at it, shoe available for their top runners at Boston - https://gearpatrol.com/...-3d-printing-launch/ but nothing in the apparel department for them to wear in those sorts of conditions.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Florida and dont need much high tech apparel but you can imagine they do have such gear but possibly never provided it in their sponsor kits because they didnt foresee this race. And you are right, their shoe technology was a huge bust given how much time their runners gave up wearing ridiculous jackets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndrewPhx wrote:

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply

Prev Next