Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Ironman Rule? Bibs on the bike?
Quote | Reply
Noticed the Pros wore their race bib on the bike in Oceanside and South Africa. Is Ironman requiring this now? If so, why....you have numbers on your bike?
Quote Reply
Re: New Ironman Rule? Bibs on the bike? [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oceanside was a Camp Pendleton requirement. For SA - not sure, but I know that a lot of the European federations require the bib number on the bike. For example, the Spanish triathlon governing body requires bibs on the bike and the run, so everyone wears the numbers at Lanzarote.

In short, local and/or federation rules, not a WTC thing as far as I know l.

Quote | Reply
in my experience it has varied with individual races within the IM system.
peggy
Quote Reply
Re: New Ironman Rule? Bibs on the bike? [pmcdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would make no sense. There’s already the frame, stem and helmet sticker. The bib number on the bike is overkill and hurts aerodynamics.
Quote Reply
Re: New Ironman Rule? Bibs on the bike? [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It doesn't make much sense, but I'm pretty sure most countries outside of NA require it. Seems silly but...

Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: New Ironman Rule? Bibs on the bike? [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People are spending $10,000 on bikes, $500 on trisuits and $400 on helmets but they’re supposed to wear a flag on the bike...smh

dfru wrote:
It doesn't make much sense, but I'm pretty sure most countries outside of NA require it. Seems silly but...

Brent
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
Noticed the Pros wore their race bib on the bike in Oceanside and South Africa. Is Ironman requiring this now? If so, why....you have numbers on your bike?

Pretty sure IMSA is under European rules which requires number on bike.
Quote Reply
Re: New Ironman Rule? Bibs on the bike? [pmcdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pmcdc wrote:
in my experience it has varied with individual races within the IM system.
peggy

^This. Not required at last weeks Florida 70.3.
Quote Reply
Re: New Ironman Rule? Bibs on the bike? [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OTOH, races organized under the auspices of IM Europe do not bodymark.

mwanner13 wrote:
People are spending $10,000 on bikes, $500 on trisuits and $400 on helmets but they’re supposed to wear a flag on the bike...smh

dfru wrote:

Brent
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike,

ITU (International) and IRONMAN rules do not require a bib number to be worn during the bike.

However, some National Federations and/or events require bib numbers to be worn on the bike and athletes in these events are required to comply.

Necessary rule amendments (to primary rule set) are noted in event specific Athlete Guides, Race Bibles, or such.

S. Africa puts athlete medical info on the back of bib numbers to help if there is medical need, and requires its athletes to wear the bib number on the bike and run.

Camp Pendleton requires bib numbers to be worn when riding on the base during the bike portion of IRONMAN Oceanside (not sure of the reason, but assume it has to do with helping them make sure cyclists don't enter the base unless they're entered in the race).

Bottom line - International rules do not require bib numbers to be worn on the bike, but athletes should check their event's Athlete Guide to make sure they're aware of rule amendments.

Hope that helps.

Jimmy
http://www.Riccitello.com
Quote Reply
Re: New Ironman Rule? Bibs on the bike? [JimmyRiccitello] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JimmyRiccitello wrote:
Mike,

ITU (International) and IRONMAN rules do not require a bib number to be worn during the bike.

However, some National Federations and/or events require bib numbers to be worn on the bike and athletes in these events are required to comply.

Necessary rule amendments (to primary rule set) are noted in event specific Athlete Guides, Race Bibles, or such.

S. Africa puts athlete medical info on the back of bib numbers to help if there is medical need, and requires its athletes to wear the bib number on the bike and run.

Camp Pendleton requires bib numbers to be worn when riding on the base during the bike portion of IRONMAN Oceanside (not sure of the reason, but assume it has to do with helping them make sure cyclists don't enter the base unless they're entered in the race).

Bottom line - International rules do not require bib numbers to be worn on the bike, but athletes should check their event's Athlete Guide to make sure they're aware of rule amendments.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the explanation!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bibs were required on the bike at 70.3 Worlds in Zell am See in 2015; that is my only data point. It was explained to us as a requirement of the local triathlon federation (the Austrian version of USA Triathlon, whatever that was)

Strava
Quote Reply