Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Improving aerodynamics on my old P3 [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beston wrote:
I added bosses to the top tube of my P4. Although nerve-racking, it really isn't a difficult to do following these instructions from tririg. Of course, you wouldn't be adding the bosses, but rather following the part about drilling holes.
The process looks pretty easy. But there is one question l have: is there a precise and straightforward way to determine where the exact top or center of a round top tube is? Just so l can get the bento holes at the very apex(?) of the top tube. Any thoughts?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Improving aerodynamics on my old P3 [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
straightedge and a square. put the straightedge against the toptube and the downtube at the same time, put the square against the straightedge and mark the point where it contacts the toptube. repeat on the other side in case the top tube and down tube are slightly different widths. Then do the process again (measure twice, cut once).

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Improving aerodynamics on my old P3 [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dang, that is pretty simple. And effective.
But everything is simple in hindsight of course ... ;^)
Thanks!

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even easier if you have a large enough T-square.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
beston wrote:
I added bosses to the top tube of my P4. Although nerve-racking, it really isn't a difficult to do following these instructions from tririg. Of course, you wouldn't be adding the bosses, but rather following the part about drilling holes.

The process looks pretty easy. But there is one question l have: is there a precise and straightforward way to determine where the exact top or center of a round top tube is? Just so l can get the bento holes at the very apex(?) of the top tube. Any thoughts?

Nick (TriRig) has a lot more experience with this than I do and may have more insights than me on this.

The short answer is 'No'. The slightly more flexible answer depends on how 'precise' you really care to be. My approach was to;
1. mask off the area for the two holes and a stripe down the top of the top tube
2. use calipers to measure the width of the tube.
3. as carefully as I could, use calipers to then mark the center of the tube (=width of tube/2).
4. check the 'centering' of both holes by extending a line through the two 'drill' marks all the way to the seat post (any deviations of straight-ness or centering my be highlighted by doing so).
5. recheck all measurements, adjust.
6. recheck all measurements
7. recheck all measurements
8. Starting with the smallest drill bit I had, making small holes in the top tube and progressing stepwise to larger bits.

I was very happy with the outcome / alignment of the two bosses. However, I'm sure there are more precise ways of doing this than I have explored.
Quote Reply

Prev Next