Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM St George 2018 [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
Best of luck at St. George! You’ve selected a fantastic venue for your first race.

Here is an old race report that may still have a few nuggets for you to consider:

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/?post=5534564

Scott
This was actually one of the posts that informed my decision to sign up for St. George in the first place, so thank you very much for that! I'm really looking forward to it.
Quote Reply
Re: IM St George 2018 [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
because when you're going uphill you're going slower, and thus spending more time at that speed per mile than any other mile during the race. you will be faster overall by going harder up the climb and minimizing those losses. go create a best bike split account and see what they say for power plan.
Got it. Will do. Thanks again for the insight here.
Quote Reply
Re: IM St George 2018 [JonathanNYC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on finding the search function!

Glad to see the post was helpful.

Enjoy your day!

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree that .85 is too high. You are likely to find yourself walking up the hills on the run if you do that. Once you have your half iron pacing dialed in and super confident you can try that. Go closer to .80 on this one and if ends up a tiny bit too easy then just run faster in the last 6 miles.

It can be smart to go a *little* harder on the big climb because you get more speed out of your effort there due to the cubic relationship of drag to speed. But most people ride the hills way too hard. If you ride steady power the whole way, if it's a mistake it's only a really small one. If you ride the hills too hard that can end up being a huge mistake. If people aren't passing you the hill you're probably riding it too hard! You'll re-pass on the descent when they are blasted and you're still pushing 200W.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: IM St George 2018 [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
I agree that .85 is too high. You are likely to find yourself walking up the hills on the run if you do that. Once you have your half iron pacing dialed in and super confident you can try that. Go closer to .80 on this one and if ends up a tiny bit too easy then just run faster in the last 6 miles.

It can be smart to go a *little* harder on the big climb because you get more speed out of your effort there due to the cubic relationship of drag to speed. But most people ride the hills way too hard. If you ride steady power the whole way, if it's a mistake it's only a really small one. If you ride the hills too hard that can end up being a huge mistake. If people aren't passing you the hill you're probably riding it too hard! You'll re-pass on the descent when they are blasted and you're still pushing 200W.
Thank you. That makes total sense to me. 0.80 it is! Thank you all for your help here.
Quote Reply
Re: IM St George 2018 [jpk_phx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jpk_phx wrote:
I think last year it was in the 70s and the run felt very hot to me. This could get ugly.

No way. Last year it was 100+ on the day before and mid/high 90s on race day. Not exactly sure when that high was achieved on race day, but it definitely wasn't in the 70s when I finished ~12:30pm.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
5) Most people will put their shoes on in T1 and awkwardly hobble with their bike to the mount line. I have not read the St.G. athlete guide yet, so I do not know if we will have T1 bags with all our stuff in it, or if it is allowed to have your helmet at your bike and your shoes by your bike. If everything is in a transition bag, then most people who are not doing flying mounts will put their shoes on in the change tent. If your shoes are by the bike, then you put them on at your bike. If you are really concerned about the 5 seconds you will lose by running in bike shoes vs. bare feet, then learn to do a flying mount! (you do not need to really fly for these... just step onto the shoe next to you and throw your leg over) Often when people carry their shoes to the mount line and put them on there they can create an annoying obstacle for everyone else.

Good luck! I'll be there too!

No tents last year, everything was at the bike. If people wanted to change clothes after the swim they were instructed to use the porta-potty. First time I've seen that at a 'bigger' race. My assumption was that it was because of the size of T1, possibly no place to put two large tents?

Leaving tomorrow for my second time at this race, can't wait!

Quote Reply
Re: IM St George 2018 [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right, thanks to the way back machine I've learned that it was 90 at noon on Saturday, May 6 last year. Which was hot af on those hills.
Quote Reply
Re: IM St George 2018 [jpk_phx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jpk_phx wrote:
You're right, thanks to the way back machine I've learned that it was 90 at noon on Saturday, May 6 last year. Which was hot af on those hills.

Looking a little better this year, but too bad the race isn't on Thursday when the forecast high is 76 F!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is my suggestion: Save some run for the last 3 miles. They are all downhill. After running up and down and up so many hills the first 10 miles people get to mile 10 and kind of coast it in since it is downhill. Many will run at 7:30 pace, but if you can bring it in ~6:30 pace you will gain 3 minutes in just the last 3 miles. I feel like people lose too much time those last 3 miles.
Quote Reply
Re: IM St George 2018 [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me the X factor for this race is the wind- the heat will be difficult, the water temp is going to feel cold, but thank goodness that there forecasts only 6 mile an hour winds- when it's windy in St. George, both the swim and bike become so much harder. It's going to be a fun day though!

"There are two ways to slide easily through life- to believe everything and to doubt everything- both ways save us from thinking "- Korzbyski
Quote Reply
Re: IM St George 2018 [newguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
newguy wrote:
Maybe it's premature, but I haven't heard any chatter about St George. Anyone out there doing the race? What might we expect as far as pros? Anyone doing it for the first time?

I'm watching lots of bike boxes come through the Vegas rental car center right now!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How'd everyone here do on Saturday?

I absolutely loved this race as my first triathlon. Ended up doing 5:24, which I was relatively satisfied with. Loads of non fitness related low-hanging fruit to improve upon for me. The swim and the bike were a little easier than I thought and the run was much harder, which were actually the opposite of what I expected. I also thought the conditions were pretty welcoming compared to the stories I've heard about previous years (no wind this year, heat was manageable).

Beautiful scenery, great logistics and community support. Would absolutely recommend this race to others.

Thanks to everyone for their help here! I ended up biking at a 0.82 IF, which I thought was the right intensity. Run was tough, but I attributed that to the hills as opposed to overbiking it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice job!! Congrats on your first finish and doing it at a very challenging race!

It was my first time in St. George and it is definitely one of my all-time favorites. I was really happy with my performance and feeling confident going into IM Boulder. Finished in 4:35 and surprised myself with a 1:31 run. Was expecting more like 1:35.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice job on your race!

For me the race went a lot better than last year, I placed myself towards the front of the rolling start, and managed to get out of the water in 29:11, 2.5 minutes faster than last year.

The bike was okay, ended up going 2:29 at 193w ave which had me at IF .81. Not a huge power number but 15w higher compared to last year and 9 minutes faster. I would say a better fit, and equipment set up helped with that faster split.

First few miles of the run were not great but after getting some salt back into me the mile times started to drop. managed a 1:32 and the last 25min or the run averaged 6:24/mile pace(downhill but still happy with that). Overall 18 minutes faster than last year finishing in 4:37 which placed me 11th in AG. We will be back next year for sure, 3rd times the charm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, that is an INCREDIBLE time!! Especially the run, given how hilly it was. Congratulations!! And thanks again for your help here.

I also thought it was super cool to see the pros at this race. Saw Sanders and Kienle on the run course while I was around mile 30 of the bike. And got some tips on how to put my wetsuit on from Michael Weiss when I was doing my first openwater swim ever at Sand Hollow. Super awesome race all around.

Best of luck at IM Boulder! Seems like you are very well prepared.
Quote Reply
Re: IM St George 2018 [jaja518] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jeez, that's an amazing time. I biked at a similar average wattage to you and my bike split was around 2:45 - really highlights the benefits of better aerodynamics, pacing and technique!

Have a lot of work to do to catch up to you guys!
Quote Reply

Prev Next