Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wheel Upgrade: Enve vs. Roval
Quote | Reply
Pros...cons...? Discuss.

Looking for an all around wheel for my road bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel Upgrade: Enve vs. Roval [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well -

With Roval, you have a wheel with extensive published testing. On this thread they came on and provided more details in a clear and open manner in response to questions from slowtwitchers about details that were not contained in the paper:

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ite%20paper#p6192429

With Enve you have a company that will not publish any of their test data but claim that their rear wheels are faster than discs, which they don't make. They seem to do as much as possible to misinform triathletes about wheels. This thread contains several gems from ENVE, including them claiming the reason they won't provide any data to back up their claims is that their testing protocol is proprietary and they're "not about to give up our secrets".

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...otri%20enve#p6391715

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Rovals (CLX64s) don't brake well at all in the rain. They also feel pretty fragile, like if you pinch the carbon between your thumb and finger, it wouldn't take much pressure to push right through the carbon. But, they do feel great when you ride them in the dry.

I've never owned Enve wheels, so can't comment on them. Zipp firecrests feel superior to the rovals in terms build quality/longevity.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel Upgrade: Enve vs. Roval [sxevegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sxevegan wrote:
They also feel pretty fragile, like if you pinch the carbon between your thumb and finger, it wouldn't take much pressure to push right through the carbon.

What is this feeling? How could you know the amount of pressure required to punch through them unless you actually punched through them?

As for braking performance - yeah. If you want good braking in wet weather, Hed jet black is definitely the way to go.

Zipps in my opinion are waaaaayyyy overpriced and as far as I can tell provide no advantage over any other top brand.

I've had a Roval CLX 64 front wheel for only a little over a year, but it shows no wear at all after about 450 miles of racing (and flying all over the world) and a few/opener training rides adding up to maybe another 90 miles.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rim brake or disc?

I have both Enve 3.4 AR and also Roval CLX32- both are for disc.

I have to say that I like prefer the ride of the Roval CLX32 or the Enve-

Roval wheelset is lighter and feels like it has more vertical compliance.

They are both fast wheel sets IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel Upgrade: Enve vs. Roval [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never owned or ridden Roval's so I can't comment there, but love ENVE's.

Their older models without the new and improved textured brake track had issues. However the new textured brake track rides really nice. Granted I have not ridden it in inclement weather yet, but braking certainly feels improved on it. I did have to warranty replace my old 3.4's and 6.7's due to carbon warping, which sucked, but luckily I had the original proof of purchase so getting the wheels replaced brand new was very easy. Next to Roka and Wahoo, I think ENVE has some of the best customer service/support out there.

I have since also got the new 4.5AR Disc wheels as well and they ride INCREDIBLY comfortable.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel Upgrade: Enve vs. Roval [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
I've had a Roval CLX 64 front wheel for only a little over a year, but it shows no wear at all after about 450 miles of racing (and flying all over the world) and a few/opener training rides adding up to maybe another 90 miles.

Thats like 2 weeks worth or riding. I certainly hope they don't show any wear yet!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ninagski wrote:
Pros...cons...? Discuss.

For a road bike? What are you looking for in a wheel? I have a CLX64 and Enve 7. I would go the Enve 7 for sure. The CLX 64 does not brake well in wet but neither does the 7 for that matter. I generally reach for the HED JET 6+ Black most of the time regardless.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel Upgrade: Enve vs. Roval [commendatore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True, but I use it as only a race wheel, so that's all I got.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know how accurate this is, but it seems like the ENVE 7.8 wheels work very well with wide tires. I think it was BikeRadar that did a big aero wheel shootout using a 25mm Michelin. The ENVE won and the Roval was close to last.

If I remember correctly, The Roval was designed for their 22mm Turbo and the design work was probably done in 2015 as part of the Venge Vias development. A 25 is more than 10% wider, so you can imagine that there could be issues.

The 7.8 is a newer design and seems to work very well with the 25mm tires. Jim Manton mentioned that there was a wheel that was very good with the 25mm TLR, but didn't mention the manufacturer. However, I saw a picture in Velonews where Amber Neben is riding an ENVE with a TLR at World's so I am guessing the ENVE is the magic wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ninagski wrote:
Pros...cons...? Discuss.

You didnt say what Depth...But since you said all around, Id assume its the 50's...They were designed around a wide tire so fear not. They are substantially lighter and at the top in aero...$$ for $$ Its what i would choose
Quote Reply