Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What is my bottom bracket shell?
Quote | Reply
Can someone please help me identify my bottom bracket shell?

The bike is a 2010 Felt F5 with Shimano cranks. The bottom bracket shell is threaded with 34mm bore diameter and width of 68mm.

I'd like to determine if I can use rotor 3d+ which has 30mm spindle.

Current crankset spindle is 24mm.

Current bottom bracket cup

This is the bottom bracket that was installed on the bike.

Quote Reply
Re: What is my bottom bracket shell? [petshopboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a standard English (BSA) 68mm threaded bottom bracket shell.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

What this fine gentleman posted. I run that BB on my 2012 Felt B12 with Rotor 3D+ cranks arms (also a threaded bottom bracket) with no issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The below posters are correct - and I actually have one of those threaded Rotor bottom brackets available for sale, if you are interested.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said, this is a typical Shimano crank and a standard threaded BSA bottom bracket.

The rotor bottom bracket it great. Just a word of caution: You will need a larger diameter BB wrench/tool. These BBs are physically larger than the shimano bb you just removed.

The Rotor BB is great. Having said that, I'm a pretty frugal guy and have bought similar (BB and tool) from aliexpress for less than half the price. Check out the option here.
Quote Reply
Re: What is my bottom bracket shell? [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The real scandal here is that there are so many bottom bracket standards these days that people don't even recognise a standard BSA BB any more!

What kind of world are we living in?! Back in my day...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you all for your responses! I know more about bottom brackets now and good to know I can use a 30mm axle on my old bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
petshopboy wrote:
Thank you all for your responses! I know more about bottom brackets now and good to know I can use a 30mm axle on my old bike.

Yes and no. It's actually not that simple. Depends on the cranks as there are Rotor 3D+ versions that are specifically setup for BBright (aka Cervelo's brainchild) and those won't work with a BSA30 bottom bracket. A true PF/BB30 crankset won't work either (for example a SRAM RED crankset with a non-removable spider). You have to look for a BB30 crankset that is considered universal (or BB386...I think it is sometimes called or whatever it is, I'm not looking it up right now). Cranks like a normal Rotor 3D+ or 3D30 would work or a SRAM Force 22 BB30 with a removable spider would also work. It definitely gets even more confusing. I learned the hard way that not all Rotor 3D+ will fit a threaded bottom bracket.
Quote Reply
Re: What is my bottom bracket shell? [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm actually looking at the power2max rotor 3d+ crankset that comes with the PM. I think that one works with BSA30 BB. I'm thinking about buying p2m with rotor 3d+ for cervelo p2 and maybe sometimes use it on my old Felt f5.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In that case you should be fine to fit on both if the cranks arms came from Power2Max directly. If buying used just make sure you have the BB30 spacers to fit properly on a P2.
Last edited by: loxx0050: Apr 13, 18 19:12
Quote Reply
Re: What is my bottom bracket shell? [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
loxx0050 wrote:
petshopboy wrote:

Yes and no. It's actually not that simple. Depends on the cranks as there are Rotor 3D+ versions that are specifically setup for BBright (aka Cervelo's brainchild) and those won't work with a BSA30 bottom bracket. A true PF/BB30 crankset won't work either (for example a SRAM RED crankset with a non-removable spider). You have to look for a BB30 crankset that is considered universal (or BB386...I think it is sometimes called or whatever it is, I'm not looking it up right now). Cranks like a normal Rotor 3D+ or 3D30 would work or a SRAM Force 22 BB30 with a removable spider would also work. It definitely gets even more confusing. I learned the hard way that not all Rotor 3D+ will fit a threaded bottom bracket.

and it gets even crazier than that! One bad piece of info I have seen floating around Slowtwitch is that all you need to do is swap out the thicker BBRight specific lock ring for the narrow 'normal' one. I believe it for some time too. The spider is also specific to BBRight for 'stiffer chainrings' or some crap like that. Even if you swap out that thick BBRight spacer for the narrowed 'normal' 3D+ lock ring, the spider hangs over and will likely contact your external bearings (on a BSA30) or the frame for a true BB386 (or BB86 if you're crazy enough to use those tiny bearings). I can't say for sure if that spider would clear the bearings on a BSA30 setup, but I'm absolutely sure it won't on a frame where the bearings are sitting inside the shell and it's ~86mm wide like a BB386 or BB86.

Some of his pics are broken, but Damon explains it here as well.
Quote Reply