Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Traditional brakes verses disc brakes [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Disc brakes are great but there are a few things to consider:
1. Can't interchange wheels on your other bikes (rim brake bikes).
2. Thru-axle prevents fork-mounted car racks.
3. They're relatively heavy.

Cane Creek ee brakes are superb and rival the stopping power of my disc brakes. Super light and while expensive, they aren't subject to the above 'drawbacks' of disc brakes.
Quote Reply
Re: Traditional brakes verses disc brakes [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are definitely some great things about disc brakes but I’m still hung up on 1) the 1/2 to 3/4 lb weight gain, 2) a big chunk of that weight is cantilevered off the front of the handlebars which changes how the bike handles and feels, 3) the added complexity and the fact that the average owner now needs a shop to service their brakes, 4) noise - there are some really noisy disc brakes out there and to eliminate the noise takes some experimentation with rotors and pads, 5) and much less of an issue is you can’t do radial front wheel lacing,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nibali tested dropper posts on road bikes a few years ago. Pretty sure he can handle himself going downhill. On rim brakes.

Quote Reply
Re: Traditional brakes verses disc brakes [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you can use fork mounted car racks, although you might have to buy an adapter. I also call BS on anyone's ability to distinguish the weight difference. It's just not that much, especially when compared to the weight of you combined with the bike. First consideration is valid IMO though.
Quote Reply
Re: Traditional brakes verses disc brakes [fb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh god, your epenis must have grown so much after posting that. I'm not even getting into a discussion like this.

fb wrote:
That's just a super classy answer sweetheart. I bet you have never actually ridden down hills in the rain.

Number one, you seem to have no grasp of how a rolling vehicle actually stops, if you think the wheels are supposed to stop before the center of mass does.

Number two, don't try to change the discussion to be about carbon rims all of a sudden. You were claiming a certain kind of brake was superior and then used faulty arguments as to why. Try to find some better arguments instead.

Number three, what you are claiming to feel isn't even the effect of the brake or the "rotor", it's the effect of the hydraulics.

Fusion wrote:
fb wrote:
Fusion wrote:
stopping on a rainy decent will be much more safe than on rimbrakes.

when riding in the wet, because your wheel will stop, but that does not mean you won't start sliding when your wheel locks up and your tire loses grip.

You are contradicting yourself.

No.
Braking on carbon rims (or even some alloy rime sfor that matter) in the rain at high speed wont stop your wheel turning in time to come to a standstill.
Braking using discbrakes will. However, the way you brake determines the way you stop. So it is up to the rider to use all that braking power with some common sense, which in turn will increase the safety of it.

Don't be an idiot. You know what I meant from the first time you read that post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing I never thought of was my wind trainer.My new Giant has a through axle with disk brakes. Does anyone know if I can get an adapter to use it on a wind trainer?
Quote Reply
Re: Traditional brakes verses disc brakes [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironnerd wrote:
One thing I never thought of was my wind trainer.My new Giant has a through axle with disk brakes. Does anyone know if I can get an adapter to use it on a wind trainer?

CycleOps has one.
Quote Reply
Re: Traditional brakes verses disc brakes [Fusion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to disappoint you, but no growth. And you are right to stay out of a discussion you obviously know nothing about.

BTW It was you who dragged the "discussion" down by suggesting I was an idiot for pointing out your contradiction.

Fusion wrote:
Oh god, your epenis must have grown so much after posting that. I'm not even getting into a discussion like this.

fb wrote:
That's just a super classy answer sweetheart. I bet you have never actually ridden down hills in the rain.

Number one, you seem to have no grasp of how a rolling vehicle actually stops, if you think the wheels are supposed to stop before the center of mass does.

Number two, don't try to change the discussion to be about carbon rims all of a sudden. You were claiming a certain kind of brake was superior and then used faulty arguments as to why. Try to find some better arguments instead.

Number three, what you are claiming to feel isn't even the effect of the brake or the "rotor", it's the effect of the hydraulics.

Fusion wrote:
fb wrote:
Fusion wrote:
stopping on a rainy decent will be much more safe than on rimbrakes.

when riding in the wet, because your wheel will stop, but that does not mean you won't start sliding when your wheel locks up and your tire loses grip.

You are contradicting yourself.

No.
Braking on carbon rims (or even some alloy rime sfor that matter) in the rain at high speed wont stop your wheel turning in time to come to a standstill.
Braking using discbrakes will. However, the way you brake determines the way you stop. So it is up to the rider to use all that braking power with some common sense, which in turn will increase the safety of it.

Don't be an idiot. You know what I meant from the first time you read that post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride both disc and rim brakes on and off road in varying conditions and I am hard pressed to find a difference. But I am light enough to not weigh down the tires very much and have hands that can press hard on the levers, so the limiting factor for me on paved and gravel is tire grip.

If you are a heavier rider who reaches high speeds on long road descents disc brakes are a great option.

If you travel a lot with your bike in the trunk of your car or in a bike bag, rim brakes is, in my opinion a better alternative, since disc brakes seem to go out of adjustment by this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having gone from Aluminium rims brakes, to cable discs to hydraulic discs on the MTB, there is no way in the world I'll be hanging around on rim brakes on the road bike, especially with carbon rims. In my opinion they are just that much better for braking power and reliability and in the wet there is absolutely no comparison.
Quote Reply
Re: Traditional brakes verses disc brakes [Slunnie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slunnie wrote:
Having gone from Aluminium rims brakes, to cable discs to hydraulic discs on the MTB, there is no way in the world I'll be hanging around on rim brakes on the road bike, especially with carbon rims. In my opinion they are just that much better for braking power and reliability and in the wet there is absolutely no comparison.

I'm not a fan of carbon rim braking either, but my girlfriend (who as a former rock climber is light and has extremely strong hands) does all kinds of wet and/or loose surface road descents with carbon rim brakes without issues.

But I don't understand why people keep comparing carbon rims on road bikes to discs on mtb:s. It is not the same scenario.

On mtb:s you have much grippier tires, which makes the brakes the limiter (instead of the tires on road bikes) and you also use skidding as a technique to make turns, which most people don't do on the road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fb wrote:
Slunnie wrote:

I'm not a fan of carbon rim braking either, but my girlfriend (who as a former rock climber is light and has extremely strong hands) does all kinds of wet and/or loose surface road descents with carbon rim brakes without issues.

But I don't understand why people keep comparing carbon rims on road bikes to discs on mtb:s. It is not the same scenario.

On mtb:s you have much grippier tires, which makes the brakes the limiter (instead of the tires on road bikes) and you also use skidding as a technique to make turns, which most people don't do on the road.
It's not about comparing MTB to Road bike riding but a lot of people have gone through the same issues when MTBs made the transition, it is however about comparing brake systems and a lot of people through MTB or now Road bikes have made that transition.As has already been said, its about braking power, reliability, modulation and wet weather performance. Even if you are talking about outright power, my experiences are that neither Shimano or Magura at least are not over endowed with braking power and I think the limiter should be tyre traction, not the (lack of) ability of the brakes to do their job and when the brakes are powerful enough, thats where the modulation becomes important.
Quote Reply
Re: Traditional brakes verses disc brakes [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ktm520 wrote:
For a Specialized Roubiax the flat mount disc brakes are very good and I would elect for them over rim for this bike and yes I have one. I have owned >5 Roubaix's over the years (all rim) and built another 15 more or so, IMO the latest edition (future shock, frame changes..) actually performs appreciably better than the older versions within the context of the expectation of this bike category.

You put a set of Conti 25's or even 28's and a Cobb saddle and you will not find much more comfort, yet still hang with your local group rides. The bike on long routes of chip seal is noticeably better on hands/neck...

I will also differ from the other poster regarding Cervelo C3-5 compared to Roubaix. Endurance road the Roubiax wins hands down. They really are not the same category as the C3/5 is really a tweener.

I picked up a new to me, hardly used, 2016 Specialized Roubaix pro yesterday! Disc brakes and Di2. Excited to ride it this year! Not the new shock int he steertube as they did that in 2017, but I can live without that for now.
Quote Reply

Prev Next