Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to make memorial slideshow
Quote | Reply
Anyone done this? What program did you use? How did you get music etc? How many different photos?

I would love any tips.
Quote Reply
Re: How to make memorial slideshow [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Powerpoint might be your easiest bet. It is relatively straightforward. Most computers have it and you don't need an internet connection for it.

You can embed music, set a timer to change pictures/slides, and have it to keep looping. They have good transition slides as well.
Quote Reply
Re: How to make memorial slideshow [noodle_soup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just did something similar. Used PowerPoint to start with as the previous poster suggested. I have music, transitions, photos, captions/comments, etc. included. Then, if you have PowerPoint 2010 or later, you can save the slideshow as a .mp4 or .wmv video file that will allow people to view the slideshow on a device that doesn't have PowerPoint installed. Worked well except for a few hiccups in the music on the video files.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would use iMovie if you use a Mac. Fairly simple - can use Ken Burns effect, and easy to overlay music. Can even do some voiceovers if appropriate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
Anyone done this? What program did you use? How did you get music etc? How many different photos?

I would love any tips.

Ask the Funeral Home if they offer the service.
We did this for MIL funeral last year.
We gave them a flash drive with about 100 pics and they had the program which did the fades, music, and it turned out so nice. All family members got a flash drive souvenir.

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used FotoMagico on a Mac to create the slideshow, but I'm sure there are many other options just as good. Because my slideshow was only going to be played at the visitation, where lots of people would be standing around talking to one another, I didn't add any music since it wasn't really necessary and would only add to the noise level in the room. Another thing is that, if the slideshow only runs a short time before repeating, you'll be listening to the same song over and over and over again. (If you're only going to play the slideshow once, such as when everyone is seated, yes, you'll want some music.)

I used 153 photos, and set each photo to display for 2.8 seconds, with a 0.5 second dissolve transition between photos. The total run time was about 7 minutes. If you go too much longer, I think people will grow weary of watching it. (If you're only going to show it once, though, a longer run time would be fine, in my opinion.)

In addition, I made four collages of photos on poster boards that the funeral home displayed on easels. Those went over beautifully, and I received many compliments for them. Each of the boards had a theme--my mom's childhood/teenage photos on one board, her middle years (showing her wedding and kids' photos) on another, photos of her with her family and friends on a third, and then her final years. To make the boards, I scanned selected photographs, used Adobe Illustrator to lay them out on poster-sized pages (20"x30"), annotated many of the photos (to identify those pictured), exported the pages to large .jpeg files, put the .jpegs on a thumb drive and took it to the local Walgreen's to print them for about $17 each, and then mounted them to poster board using spray mount adhesive. It was a lot of work over about four days, but the photo posters gave everyone who attended the visitation a more "complete" picture of my mom and her life--from beginning to end--even if they only knew her a few of those years. My nephew kept the posters, but I still have the .jpegs for future generations to view.
Quote Reply