Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Senators Beclown Themselves During Facebook Hearing [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
I think the point was you don't actively need to out any of it on if you use apps that are linked to it

For example?

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Senators Beclown Themselves During Facebook Hearing [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
H- wrote:
If you are not a bot and have personal knowledge of all you wrote, you need some professional help. Paying that much attention to a congressional hearing, especially one about facebook, is bad for you.

Hahahahahaha! No, I'm not a 'bot. Though I hear sexbots are coming, so we always have that going for us, which is nice. ;-)

Technology has not yet reached the point to create a bot that could mimic a poster as long winded, meaningless, and meandering as BK.
Quote Reply
Re: Senators Beclown Themselves During Facebook Hearing [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:
Andrewmc wrote:
I think it's becoming clear that what people may have volunteered for was not clear at all

Exactly what does that have to do with Zuck being asked to disclose where he stayed and who he messaged?

Coincidentally, a couple of friends stayed at the same hotel as Zuckerberg the night before and saw him leave for the hearing with his wife and about 6 bodyguards (it was the Sofitel).
Quote Reply
Re: Senators Beclown Themselves During Facebook Hearing [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any app you use a Facebook login with

https://www.cnbc.com/...ss-to-your-data.html

Facebook partners and shares aggregated data with companies like Equifax. So targeted marketing; male, married, 40-45, >300k yr, home owner, kids / no kids

The list is literally endless.

When you use a Facebook login to access a third party app and don't read terms and conditions you have just handed info to facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Quote:
Do you seriously trust a traded company to be more ethical with your data than the government?

I have an account but only log onto FB a few times per year.

What kind of data are people putting on facebook? Tax info, bank accounts, credit cards, social security numbers, property inventories?

What you post or how often you post isn't really the data Facebook mines. It does do some work to figure out your demographic, but the big mining comes from your activity online everywhere. As soon as you login into Facebook, even once, they track nearly all your movement around the web. Ever wonder why you start seeing tons of Garmin ads right after you start looking at a new Garmin? That's because Facebook (and Google to a different extent) know what you're looking at and are targeting their marketing to you through countless other websites.

They make that information available to third parties so people can target their widget to "women, married, 32-34 years old, subscribes to Shape magazine, earns $50k, has shown interest in running, lives in Arizona, and has purchased cat-themed clothing in the last 6 months."
Quote Reply
Re: Senators Beclown Themselves During Facebook Hearing [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I painfully watched some of the hearings, and immediately my mind drifted to that great old movie, "2001 A Space Oddesy", the part at the beginning where they apes are prodding and inspecting the monolith. You can figure out who were the apes and who was the monolith...(-;
Quote Reply
Re: Senators Beclown Themselves During Facebook Hearing [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
Do you seriously trust a traded company to be more ethical with your data than the government?

I view both as completely undesirable but for profit companies I suspect edge it in terms of my concern about privacy. He has demonstrated they have no boundaries, their due diligence obviously is lacking or if it isn't their behaviour is problematic about who they are willing to work with and on what terms

I don't trust either entity, but I really don't want the government getting even more involved in either the internet or the social media sites that troll internet waters. I also concede I can't suss out a happy medium in all this. What a mess.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Senators Beclown Themselves During Facebook Hearing [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
H- wrote:
If you are not a bot and have personal knowledge of all you wrote, you need some professional help. Paying that much attention to a congressional hearing, especially one about facebook, is bad for you.

Hahahahahaha! No, I'm not a 'bot. Though I hear sexbots are coming, so we always have that going for us, which is nice. ;-)

Technology has not yet reached the point to create a bot that could mimic a poster as long winded, meaningless, and meandering as BK.

Thanks for the compliment! ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you and thanks swimswithstones for that info.

I often see the "log in with facebook" on various websites and services. I've never done it -- just didn't trust the idea.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is a NYT article entitled "I downloaded the information that Facebook as on me. Yikes."

My reaction is, "I read the NYT article. Meh." Except for the very end.

Facebook basically remembers every click a person makes while on Facebook. Duh. Brian X Chen, lead consumer technology reporter, here is something folks have been saying forever: Once it is on the internet, it never disappears.

Facebook also had all his contacts. Note to lead consumer technology reporter: Facebook asked to to access your contacts and you said yes. Duh. Facebook asked me, but I said no.

Maybe it is a generational thing, but I really don't understand the writer's perspective. Everything Facebook has, Brian Chen gave to them. I'm not at all shocked to think that Facebook remembers every click I've made there.

The most interesting thing about the article was the ending: Google has 10x more info on Mr. Chen than Facebook.

Now perhaps Mr. Chen, a self-described light user of Facebook was not a good choice for this article. Maybe he should wrote about someone who uses Facebook apps or logs in with Facebook to other websites.

But crap, I'm just not so concerned with what Facebook knows about people. The problem with Facebook is that there are just too many people talking too much about themselves and their latest trip to Starbucks.

________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Should we be taking comfort that the senators likely don't spend much time on Facebook?

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Senators Beclown Themselves During Facebook Hearing [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
Should we be taking comfort that the senators likely don't spend much time on Facebook?

Oh sure. :-) But there's this to consider as well:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chuckles

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
800+ views, 37 replies, and still nobody has mentioned guns in this thread yet. [Ducks. Runs.]

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Re: Senators Beclown Themselves During Facebook Hearing [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why do you hate freedom, bruv? ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Senators Beclown Themselves During Facebook Hearing [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahh yes. Because a simple tool like a gun is so much harder to understand then the inner workings of Facebook. What an idiot.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Senators Beclown Themselves During Facebook Hearing [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHHAHAHA

________
Quote Reply
Re: Senators Beclown Themselves During Facebook Hearing [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Quote:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHHAHAHA

Yeah, he got me good. My mouth was open, too. :-)

By the way, I own the copyright to that "BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!" thing, and even I can only use it with the kindly permission of Mr. Mopdahl, per terms of our 2012 agreement. Just a heads up.

(Disclaimer: My use of my copyrighted laugh track was for demonstration purposes only and does not constitute an actual use or employment of said laugh track. ;-)

Quote Reply

Prev Next