Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How the Pros T2 (video) [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plus it is smarter to put them on in T2 because:
  1. Not wearing socks on the bike allows your feet to get dry from the swim and remain dry for longer.
  2. It is much faster to get through T1 without wearing your bike shoes. Therefore if one puts on socks for the bike then they would be wearing their socks through T1. This would cause at least 2 problems as I see it.

a. The socks would pick up debris that would likely be on them for the rest of the race.
b. It would likely be more difficult to slip your bike shoes on while on the go on your bike.
Quote Reply
Re: How the Pros T2 (video) [Skyline Chili] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh look...the Pros think the sockless AGers are insane.

*Guy who wears socks on the bike and run.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: How the Pros T2 (video) [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
Only $20 at your local Walmart. $99 with the IM logo though.

When every second counts...

But wait...there's more. Buy now and we'll double your order (just pay a separate fee)...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: How the Pros T2 (video) [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
But wait...there's more. Buy now and we'll double your order (just pay a separate fee)...

I would guess most of us have spent more than that to gain less time.
Quote Reply
Re: How the Pros T2 (video) [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What’s up with the dude on his cell phone in T2?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skyline Chili wrote:
Just don’t understand the socks. No need to screw with them. Plenty of comfortable-blister free-sockless shoe options available today.

Yeah seems odd. I've run sockless for 2 years in sprint up to 70.3 with Asics hyper speeds, no issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skyline Chili wrote:
HandHeartCrown wrote:
Skyline Chili wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
5 seconds of insurance.

Most decline that insurance on the bike and it’s not drastically different for the run.

Can you explain the lack of difference? On the bike, you're feet are relatively stable. On the run, every steps causes an impact with the ground and potential friction between the shoe and the foot.

There’s still friction on the bike pedal downstroke similar to friction caused by your feet impacting the ground while running. To a lesser extent sure, but it’s friction nonetheless.

The amount of friction caused by running is orders of magnitude greater than that caused by the bike pedal...the latter is insignificant that my feet don't notice at all. I'll go sockless for sprints and olympics but have to draw the line for a half or full - apparently most pros do as well.

Another poster asked then why not put them on at T1. Because - at least for me - they will be soaked by the time I come off the bike in a hot weather race and I want to start the run in a fresh, dry pair of socks,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skyline Chili wrote:
Just don’t understand the socks. No need to screw with them. Plenty of comfortable-blister free-sockless shoe options available today.
Of the 3 male pros shown, Reed was the only one who went sockless and was still 20+ seconds slower than Jan and Lionel. Seems like he must have lost time somewhere the video didn't show.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skyline Chili wrote:

Well, the first two put on socks and were faster than the 3rd, who didn't.
Quote Reply
Re: How the Pros T2 (video) [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I go sockless up to Olympic distance, but for anything longer I definitely wear socks. Pre rolling the socks and having them ready in your shoes may cost 10-15 seconds, but totally worth it in my mind.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: How the Pros T2 (video) [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
Skyline Chili wrote:

Well, the first two put on socks and were faster than the 3rd, who didn't.

Speed aside, that wasn’t my point. Going sockless is one less item to worry about in T2. Especially since things on the ground get easily misplaced.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If we're putting speed aside, then it boils down to comfort. I go sockless up to Olympic distance. I've tried sockless for longer races-in various shoes, but always blistered, even in Zoots that I never thought I'd have troubles in. I ran fast in a few and not so fast in a few, but it just hurt like hell the last three miles and days after. I'm doing AlaskaMan this summer and am carrying and extra pair of socks in my pack for the 2X up and down Alyeska because there will be friction on the two downs and I want things to be as dry as possible.
Quote Reply
Re: How the Pros T2 (video) [hugoagogo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hugoagogo wrote:
But if it is worth the 5 seconds of insurance, why not spend it in T1 instead of T2? Is there an aero penalty?

I can't speak for them but for me it's about dry feet. My socks have to be wrestled on with wet feet in T1. T2 they're sweaty but go right on no issues.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply

Prev Next