Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: "Fastest Car" on Netflix [A-A-Ron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope, not there yet. I just finished episode 3 I think.

Regarding your comments about lack of race coverage/analysis/: spot on. Not even a replay.

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Re: "Fastest Car" on Netflix [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for adding to my list of car shows that waste my time in the evening over dinner. I am a sucker for Street Outlaws and Fast and Loud, as they help me unwind after evening workouts and work.

My one question is, the sleeper cars? Some of them have to be worth almost as much as the supercars. Yes the shells may be $1000 junkers (The Dadillac by the way Ryan Hall has been on some of the races on Street Outlaws No Prep), but the motors and Suspensions and time makes them Not Cheap. Only watched 1 and 3 so far. But than MiniVan has to be worth north of $100k in parts and Motor. Same for the Rat Rod.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Binge watched the rest of the shows, I wonder how many Lambo's will be bought because of this show.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A-A-Ron wrote:
I take it you haven't made it to the Aventador episode yet. What a fucking clown that guy is. Funny to see that his house is worth less than his chrome car and his "concubine's" tits.

Hah! Every segment with that guy was hard to watch - you think it was real?

A-A-Ron wrote:
As the owner and former drag racer of a 1987 Chrysler Conquest TSi, I really wanted to see the '83 Supra go, too bad the damn thing wouldn't run.

They were calling it a Supra, but the graphics on the door said 'Celica'. What gives? I'm not a Toyota guy.

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Re: "Fastest Car" on Netflix [ttocsmi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ttocsmi wrote:
A-A-Ron wrote:
I take it you haven't made it to the Aventador episode yet. What a fucking clown that guy is. Funny to see that his house is worth less than his chrome car and his "concubine's" tits.

A-A-Ron wrote:
As the owner and former drag racer of a 1987 Chrysler Conquest TSi, I really wanted to see the '83 Supra go, too bad the damn thing wouldn't run.

They were calling it a Supra, but the graphics on the door said 'Celica'. What gives? I'm not a Toyota guy.

There was a Celica supra model before Supra had it's own model. Maybe 2 or 3 years.
Quote Reply
Re: "Fastest Car" on Netflix [ttocsmi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ttocsmi wrote:
A-A-Ron wrote:

A-A-Ron wrote:

There was a "Toyota Celica" and the the hopped up model which was the "Toyota Celica Supra". As the other poster stated they eventually split the Supra off in the 90's and that is the car most people are familiar with. My 1987 Chrysler Conquest TSi was made by Mitsubishi and imported by Chrysler to compete directly with the Celica Supra of the time.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A-A-Ron wrote:

Also shame on OP for saying this show is worth watching, it sucks! Nothing but 40 minutes of sob stories and then they do an absolute shit job of actually covering the race. You get 30 seconds of race footage and no commentary from the drivers as to what happened afterward. The chick in the S10 almost got sideways in the first 200 feet and not a single comment about it. The show is about 10 years too late. Supercars used to suck in the 1/4 mile compared to real drag cars. But with most of them having AWD and launch control now, the supercars are still awesome on the track and serious drag contenders as well.

Well, as I implied in my OP, it's a show that's not reallyyyy about the cars. You clearly didn't do your due diligence.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It might not have been a car show, but they could have at least tried to show the drag racing It (the coverage of the drag racing) was really lame.

I loved that Aventador owner, with that car, oh you bet he is real.

Including the Huracan not only really wasn't fair, the guy didn't even own the car, which makes you wonder how did they get these people, since obviously they didn't go to owners. Kind of interesting to see some of these people who own these supercars, they can't even figure out launch control, clearly lots are sold for status and not the actual performance. I am sure far more are sold for the performance.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wasn't there a Shelby version of that peddled by Dodge?
Quote Reply
Re: "Fastest Car" on Netflix [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:
Wasn't there a Shelby version of that peddled by Dodge?

I don't believe so. There was a Dodge Daytona at the same time, and there was a Dodge Shelby Charger in the same era. They look slightly similar but I am pretty certain there was no Dodge version of my car. There was the Mitsubishi version which was called the Starion. Different steering wheel but otherwise exactly the same car with different badges.

It is a neat car to drive. It has the same 2.6 4 cylinder engine that came in the Dodge Mighty Max pickup, so it has quite a bit of torque. They just added a turbo to get some top end power. Mine will run a 15.5 1/4 so not real fast, but fast for it's time. It can be made into a 10 second car pretty easily with a tune and so bolt on go fast goodies. I want to do that to it someday but I have a hard time changing much on it. I got it 16 years ago with 28k on the clock, it has 55k now and is all original in mint condition. There aren't too many like that around anymore so I am hesitant to mess with it.
Quote Reply
Re: "Fastest Car" on Netflix [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:
Wasn't there a Shelby version of that peddled by Dodge?[/quote

You're probably thinking of the Dodge Shelby Charger and the Dodge Shelby GLH (Goes Like Hell) Omni version. Super cool cars especially the GLHS (Goes Like Hell Somemore) limited edition versions. They were genuine sleepers, especially the 4 door Omni GLHS which was originally just a cheapo econobox. I had one of the turbo Dodge Shelby Chargers and miss that car. I'm into old cars, especially British, but somewhere out there is a GLHS with my name on it. I do want one.
Quote Reply
Re: "Fastest Car" on Netflix [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I loved that Aventador owner, with that car, oh you bet he is real.

Me too. The 4th episode is my favorite of the lot.

After watching, I put this song on the record player and offer it in honor of New Jersey racing in the street. The album came out 40 years ago and the song offers a slower and poignant look at street racing. I grew up a few towns over from Springsteen.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: "Fastest Car" on Netflix [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

SPOILER ALERT:

That idiot in the electric car smashing the shit out of that absolutely cherry, all original, Mazda RX-2 had me seeing red. I felt so bad for the owner of that car. That all original factory paint was in amazing condition and now it is entirely ruined. I would have lost my shit if I was that guy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
Anyone watch?

More interesting than I'd have expected. It's about the cars, yes, but the "human interest" stories are pretty compelling I suppose. Basically, they pit a "supercar" against "sleepers." Go through the stories of each owner and where they/their car came from. I don't consider a lot of the "sleepers" so far to be truly "sleepers," but that's semantics. I guess if you have to run a 10ish second 1/4mi you can't look too normal.

I haven't watched it eyt, I would have thought it would be a bit pointless - you've got modded cars that have had virtually every part replaced putting out ridiculous amounts of power like the 1000kw Subaru BRZ. That would shit all over most supercars?
Quote Reply
Re: "Fastest Car" on Netflix [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
jkhayc wrote:
Anyone watch?

More interesting than I'd have expected. It's about the cars, yes, but the "human interest" stories are pretty compelling I suppose. Basically, they pit a "supercar" against "sleepers." Go through the stories of each owner and where they/their car came from. I don't consider a lot of the "sleepers" so far to be truly "sleepers," but that's semantics. I guess if you have to run a 10ish second 1/4mi you can't look too normal.

I haven't watched it eyt, I would have thought it would be a bit pointless - you've got modded cars that have had virtually every part replaced putting out ridiculous amounts of power like the 1000kw Subaru BRZ. That would shit all over most supercars?

I'll try not to give too much away... But while it might have been true that supercars from 10+ years ago had little chance against purpose built drag racers, it is not necessarily so anymore. Most supercars can run in the 10 second or so 1/4 mile time, and that is typically the target area for a hobby built drag car that is still street legal.

The difference is, in the past, the supercar required a competent driver to get that 10 second 1/4 mile time out of it. The supercars these days are controlled almost entirely by computer from suspension to acceleration, shifting, etc. With the launch control and AWD that most supercars have these days, just about any idiot can get behind the wheel and put down a solid 1/4 mile time. Couple that with the fact that most hobby drag cars are rear wheel drive, and they require everything about the race to go just about perfect to attain that 10 second time. One slight screw up by the driver and their race is shot. The playing field is really pretty even between supercars and hobby built drag cars these days. And of course, when you throw in a curve or two the supercar will walk away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a dumb show. I "watched" them all now and give it a one star.

The people: after the third or fourth episode I was just sick of the drivers and their sob stories and resentments. Somehow they all ended up seeming the same and I just didn't care about them. I don't think the people are all really so unlikeable, so the must be poor production. They didn't know how to present these people so we'd care about them.

"7 days to race" prep was stupid. Generally, I think those scenes were completely staged make-work as I never got the feeling that people knew what they were doing. Yet surely they did. The straw that broke the camels back for me was the Celica Supra that wouldn't start. I could handle a car not making it to the line if something broke in testing or something. This car wouldn't start from the beginning. Please find someone with a running car for a race show. Duh.

So the last few episodes I watched in 10-15 minutes each. I'd watch the introductions to the drivers and then fast forward to the race, skipping the sobbing and wrench waving sessions.

The last race was hilarious. Eight episodes setting up the class issues, rich v. common man, buying speed v. DIY and in the end a young photographer in borrowed Lambo who learned how to use traction control on youtube, blows away Ferrari lady with race coach and all the sleepers. LOL.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
What a dumb show. I "watched" them all now and give it a one star.

The people: after the third or fourth episode I was just sick of the drivers and their sob stories and resentments. Somehow they all ended up seeming the same and I just didn't care about them. I don't think the people are all really so unlikeable, so the must be poor production. They didn't know how to present these people so we'd care about them.

"7 days to race" prep was stupid. Generally, I think those scenes were completely staged make-work as I never got the feeling that people knew what they were doing. Yet surely they did. The straw that broke the camels back for me was the Celica Supra that wouldn't start. I could handle a car not making it to the line if something broke in testing or something. This car wouldn't start from the beginning. Please find someone with a running car for a race show. Duh.

So the last few episodes I watched in 10-15 minutes each. I'd watch the introductions to the drivers and then fast forward to the race, skipping the sobbing and wrench waving sessions.

The last race was hilarious. Eight episodes setting up the class issues, rich v. common man, buying speed v. DIY and in the end a young photographer in borrowed Lambo who learned how to use traction control on youtube, blows away Ferrari lady with race coach and all the sleepers. LOL.

This pretty much sums up my feelings on the show as well. What a stupid concept from start to finish. Some of the 'sleeper' cars had a shit ton of money in their engines and setups. But, pitting them against each other on various surfaces, then finally on DIRT? Of course an all-wheel drive Lambo will will.

Anyway, yea, dumb show.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well at least you watched all of it so they can justify a season 2 that figures out a better format for competition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know how I missed this show. It is absolutely great. I am hooked.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: "Fastest Car" on Netflix [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actual drag cars are not prepped at all to usually take on that crap un-prepped airstrip situation they used.

Those cars depend on a prepped drag strip. Even street racers bring out fuel or ethanol to burn on the street to get it hot and people lay rubber down for traction.

To me, I'm amazed that any of the 700+ to 1000hp drag cars would hook at all.

Honestly, it should have been a supercar winning every damn time. The sleepers just couldn't hook.

Also, it's not true that if you took it to a road course it would be better. The sleeper to supercar thing would actually be worse off. Who is going to drive their $500k supercar to the same limit on a road course as a guy with a 500hp Miata?

I find the show entertaining but do agree the "last minute changes and issues" is played up drama BS.

Real racers have their shit together all the time.
Quote Reply
Re: "Fastest Car" on Netflix [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A majority of the supercar owners also don't understand launch control or timing of it so they lost before they even started down the track. The one supercar owner that knows his car...? Spoiler alert.
Quote Reply
Re: "Fastest Car" on Netflix [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
I don't know how I missed this show. It is absolutely great. I am hooked.

The overplay the "supercar" owners are douche nozzles thing. The second season they tried to tone it down a bit, but that one dude who was super prick to everyone made up for the moderation in the other episodes.

I'd like them to get a guy/woman with a fast "supercar" who could actually drive it.

There are some pretty quick "junkers." Not sure I understand how a $150k drag prepped car isn't a "supercar."

But, I got hooked too.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply

Prev Next