Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Just tried to pick up my new Felt IA10, unsuccessfully. Now I have questions about charging, synchro-shifting and paint chips.
Quote | Reply
So, after much gnashing of teeth and wishing that Canyon would start actually selling bikes, I decided to go with the Felt IA10. I just tried to pick it up, but the left extension shifter wasn't working, so it has to get fixed. NBD. But my inspection of the bike revealed a few things I hadn't noticed before.

1) You have to unscrew a panel on the head-tube in order to charge the bike. Is that how this is supposed to work? That seems odd. I would have thought there would be a way to access without needing an allen wrench. Am I missing something?
2) The bike was set up for synchro-shifting. That seems like it will really annoy me. I may not necessarily want to cross chain all the time, but I'd like to be able to get to the 36x12 or 13 if I want to without having to shift a few times. Those of you who have known both worlds, would you recommend a manual setup?

Separate from that, there was a nick on the right side of the front fork. It's small, but I worry that over time the paint will chip. How much would you worry about something like that?
Quote Reply
Re: Just tried to pick up my new Felt IA10, unsuccessfully. Now I have questions about charging, synchro-shifting and paint chips. [island rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The good news is: having to remove the cover to charge the battery is not a big deal, once fully charged you won't have to worry about it for several months.
The bad news is: you will have to remove that same cover any time you want to change shift modes.

Shift mode IMHO is about personal taste, I played with all three modes, and after a while the synchro mode grew on me. Assuming you have the two button shifters you can always change the front gear without going through the all the gears in the back in synchro mode. Try all three modes and see which one you like, or works best for you.

If you are feeling adventurous you can always swap the internal a junction for an EW-RS910 in one of the extensions.
Last edited by: Art M.: Apr 10, 18 18:58
Quote Reply
Re: Just tried to pick up my new Felt IA10, unsuccessfully. Now I have questions about charging, synchro-shifting and paint chips. [island rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whether you use Syncro shift depends on the shifters you have. I went with the single buttons that go on the end of the extensions and the one button brake shifter, so syncro shift was mandatory. If you have two buttons on very shifter you can choose. I have found syncro shifting to be pretty painless for TT use, but prefer to set it so that when you go from big to small ring and vice versa, it only shifts one cog in the back. This is with a 52/36 crankset. I like the only one cog shift for semi-syncro as well. The shift in the rear is immediate and barely noticeable and seems to happen at the same the chain shifts in the front. A two cog shift in the back is slow and can be disruptive. I definitely would not want a two cog shift with a 53/39. So with the 1 cog syncro shift or semi-syncro, you get a very fast shift in the rear (you almost always wants to shift at least one cog in the rear when shifting the front) and then you can manually add a second or third shift depending on terrain, etc.

As far as having to remove a cover to charge the battery, I would not worry too much. A Di2 battery lasts a long time. Charging is probably a monthly occurrence for most. Once race season starts, I just charge mine before races. You are definitely not charging it every time you ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could install one of the bar-end Junction A modules in an extension. That’s what I did with my IA16.

Synchro shift is awesome on a TT bike. I was worried about when I picked my Di2 components, but I would never go back. It is highly configurable, so you can pick your shift points. If you have a Garmin and Connect it to the Di2, it will beep to let you know that the next shift will trigger a FD shift. Did I mention that it is awesome?
Quote Reply
Re: Just tried to pick up my new Felt IA10, unsuccessfully. Now I have questions about charging, synchro-shifting and paint chips. [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s what I like to see...bikes and repair stands in kitchens. You’re doing it right.
Quote Reply