Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Possible Florida move [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Unless you are rich, you aren't going to live in South Tampa, so who cares about the riding down there. Most FAMILIES are going to be in North Tampa (or further) and thus close to all the hills and great riding around Brooksville, San Antonio and Dade City. Virtually every roadie group is out there every weekend (check out Aeropro rides). This is also location for the Florida Gran Fondo every year; and the Hilly Hundred (Dec, free) is held out of Brooksville on many of the same roads. Of course, you can go to Clermont for the annual Horrible Hundred (Nov) or the Tour Latino (Feb). A short ways up from Clermont is the Mt Dora Cycling Festival (Oct). And if you are afraid of the roads and don't like the Suncoast Trail, check out the Withlacoochee or Van Fleet trails within a short drive. And every April there is the 170 mile Cross Florida ride.

A lot of folks choosing to live in NE Tampa might consider the new subdivision going in at Wesley Chapel. Show me the city up north that has a 7.5 ACRE POOL in their subdivision. Shit, you can practice your 2.4 mile OWS with only a few turns in that sucker. I'm just waiting for an RD to host a triathlon there now that it is open! And we have OWS race opportunities all the time such as Hurricane Man 2.4 OWS, Sand Key OWS Series (1.2/2.4 mi), as well as long options 6.2 miles, 8 miles, and 24 miles for the nuts. And I feel sorry for anyone who hasn't had an opportunity to swim the Rainbow River in Dunellon (3.6 miles in crystal clear 72 degree water (year round) with an effective distance of about 2.5 due to the current). Myself - I live in the NW side of Tampa. My subdivision (Westchase) has 2 pools regulated to 82 degrees year round. Admin time from my house is less than 5 minutes to either one (opposite directions). Top that.

https://www.abcactionnews.com/...ow-filled-with-water

I would argue that the biking and the swimming are fantastic. Running is great, but only in running season which is about Nov to Mar. After that, yeah, it sucks to run in the summer, but that's what sprint triathlons are for, and there are a shit ton in this area.

Holy sin. I just looked up that pool. I want to go swim in that thing bad haha like really bad
Quote Reply
Re: Possible Florida move [LuchaLibre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, the only one in the U.S. right now. When it comes to pools, OWS, and just the plain ability to swim year round, Tampa Bay area is kicking the snot out of the rest of the country.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I moved to South Tampa a year and a half ago and since then have mostly been running. Recently, I am getting back into triathlon. For me South Tampa is pretty close to paradise! For swimming there is a YMCA with a heated outdoor pool just down the street (although we just finished our 50 feet pool and I am hoping to do most of my non-ocean swimming in my back yard). I do most of my running on Bayshore Boulevard which has not gotten old yet (I doubt it will ever). Every couple of weeks I drive to Clearwater and do a long out and back run up the (mostly deserted) beach to Caladesi Island (at some point declared the best beach in America), breathtaking every time! In regards to riding I have disagree with one of the previous posters - the Gandy bridge is imho pretty safe to cross into St.Pete (9 ish feet shoulder) which opens a significant number of options, including a loop through downtown towards Ft.DeSoto beach (also one of the top US beaches) and if you want to go crazy all the way up to Clearwater and back over the Causeway. One of my favorite little gems here (well, 40 minute away) is Alafia River State Park which offers - wait for it - some world class mountain biking! If you don't believe me, go to youtube and check it out.

Public schools are great in South Tampa (rest of Tampa not so much I admit). One particular thing I like about this area is the general athletic/healthy lifestyle and vibe. You see very few overweight people here and there are lots of health food options. South Tampa (like St.Pete and Clearwater) also has a much more tropical feel to it than pretty much any area north of here. The divide between plant hardiness zones 9 and 10 is Kennedy Blvd which is the Northern border of South Tampa, and it shows.
Quote Reply
Re: Possible Florida move [teebles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I enjoy Ocala. It's growing, centrally located, we have Tri club, Lake Wier to do group workouts, 4 Mile long beautiful river, spring fed, to swim down... Or up. Paved trails for bikes (will connect across state soon) or quiet roads through horse farms without much traffic. We are also only 1 hour from Waterfront park in Clermont where our club does group swim/bike/runs.

We also have 3 kids were are raising here.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Last edited by: timr: Apr 11, 18 18:00
Quote Reply
Re: Possible Florida move [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And while we are on the subject of Clermont, I just got this announcement in my e-mail tonight:

FONDO CYCLING CIRCUIT USA launches six events in 2018

Tampa, Fla. (April 10, 2018) – ASD announced today the creation of FONDO CYCLING CIRCUIT USA, a collection of six Gran Fondo-style cycling events offering 30, 50 and 75 mile ride options. While more recreational in nature, several timed sections along each route offer a competitive element for cyclists looking for a challenge. Each FCCUSA event culminates with live music and a food truck and craft beer festival.

In 2018 the FONDO CYCLING CIRCUIT USA will visit the following cities:

• Aug. 5 – Davidson NC • Oct. 14 – Akron OH
• Aug. 26 – Harrisburg PA • Oct. 21 – Fredericksburg VA
Sept. 30 – Clermont FL • Oct. 28 – Ridgeland MS

Our host cities are all highly regarded cycling destinations within their respective geographical regions,” said Steve Meckfessel, National Series Director for FCCUSA. “Each location is also a draw for entertainment, historical, cultural and recreational reasons and within a 2-3 hour drive of major metropolitan areas. We’re excited to partner with each of these communities!”

Online registration is now open at FondoCyclingCircuitUSA.com. The first 100 cyclists to register for any of the FCCUSA events (50 and 75-mile routes only) receives a free Pearl Izumi SELECT Escape LTD cycling jersey. Each registered cyclist receives a t-shirt, sling bag, finisher medal, water bottle, tickets to the food trucks and craft beer, plus other amenities.

ASD is a subsidiary of Asdeporte, producers of L’Etape by Tour de France, IRONMAN, Spartan Race and Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series events in Mexico. Meckfessel, a former event director and senior executive for IRONMAN, manages ASD’s Tampa office and will oversee FCCUSA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I moved to St. Petersburg approximately 13 years ago from Massachusetts (Greater Boston area), and find it to be pretty close to perfection. I live near downtown, so within close proximity of the North Shore Pool, numerous scenic running routes, roads with clear/clean bike lanes, etc. There are so many various SBR groups that meet up on various dates/times that you would always find training partners to fit your schedule. That, and you have numerous opportunities to race almost year-round, or jump into free mock-tris or OWS. The vibe here is also super fun, positive, healthy, and happy. There's always something going on that can meet the needs of anyone in the family. It's the amazing triathlon community here that got me into triathlon almost 10 years ago in the first place, and I'm super grateful for how warm/welcoming/supportive/passionate people are. I suck at triathlon (I'm better on skates), but I still have a blast living, training, and racing here and wouldn't trade it for anything.

That being said, I also work in real estate development, and there's a pretty amazing community under construction in Pasco County (specifically Land O'Lakes), called Bexley (by Newland Communities)- that is a true triathlete's dream. I'd highly recommend checking it out: https://www.bexleyflorida.com. In addition to the trails, outdoor lap pool, gym, fit station parks, etc.- there is even a cycling-themed "Twisted Sprocket" café and a planned bike shop. It's pretty epic, and if I didn't live in St. Pete I'd probably build a home there myself.

I've also lived and/or worked in Clearwater, Tampa, Parkland, West Palm Beach, and Coral Springs- and have done races in Clermont and North Florida. I personally wasn't a fan of South Florida (hated the traffic, general vibe of the people, congestion, etc.). Again, if you've never been to St. Pete- definitely put it on your radar for even a vacay or put St. Anthony's Triathlon on your race calendar :)
Quote Reply
Re: Possible Florida move [SwimBikeHockey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you everyone for the info. I'm trying to decide between the Ironman sized swim pool or the the triathlete's paradise ;). I think as of now we are leaning towards Clermont area or North or South Tampa but the research will go on (endlessly). As I type this Its cold and rainy with a bit of snow mixed in. I want to move today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teebles wrote:
Thank you everyone for the info. I'm trying to decide between the Ironman sized swim pool or the the triathlete's paradise ;). I think as of now we are leaning towards Clermont area or North or South Tampa but the research will go on (endlessly). As I type this Its cold and rainy with a bit of snow mixed in. I want to move today.

Im at work but looking out the floor to ceiling windows and see its sunny, slight breeze, and about 78 degrees. So basically another day haha
Quote Reply
Re: Possible Florida move [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
DON’T DO IT!!!

This.

Worst place (Orlando area) I’ve trained or raced in. Hot, muggy, unsafe streets, you name it. ‘Trails’ are lame. No uninterrupted training anywhere. Maybe swimming might be okay in the winter, in a pool. Seriously.

We are moving to the PNW and I’m counting down the minutes.
Last edited by: andrejs: Apr 13, 18 16:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are moving from the #1 rated K-12 educational system to the #40 ranked. Be sure you dealing with snow is worth your kids education.

https://www.usnews.com/...s/rankings/education
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Miami, West Palm, Orlando (Winter Park/Maitland Fl areas of orlando), Sarasota, St. Pete, Ponte Vedra, Delray Beach.

So, there are no real good places to ride in Florida. Middle of the state has a few, but do not move to Florida and live in the middle of the State. The Winter Park area (my wife's parents live there is nice and is not on the coast). Otherwise, live by the water. I have lived in California, NYC & Florida (lived in various areas for work). My dad was a builder in Miami and the bahamas when i was growing up, so my perception might be warped by growing up in the sub tropics. November through May in Florida on the coast is amazing. Running & swimming are great (from a tri perspective). Biking just sucks in this state. Always has and always will. Living on the coast in a major hub or nice small town is not cheap, so do not be fooled. The real estate in my area is ridiculously expensive and we are slowly sinking (different conversation). However, I spend weekends when I am home cruising with wife and kids on our boat, love spending time on the water (whether swimming, sunset wine cruise, surfing w my 2 sons (when the waves are actually decent..not often). Lots of cultural things to do where I reside (great private schools (though, very expensive). I do love the Mtns and like to go to Colorado or Montana for a week w family or a guys trip, but I can't do snow year round. If you can handle cold all winter, you will likely hate Florida. If you like wearing short sleeve shirts and staring at girls in bikinis on the beach in February from your office window, then there are much worse places to reside. Like every place in the this country, there are positives and negatives. There are lots of batshit crazy people in this state. Then again, where are there not lots of batshit crazy people.
Quote Reply
Re: Possible Florida move [Nerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree. If you can take 6 to 7 months a year of unrelenting oppressive humidity in exchange for no snow then Florida might be the place for you. And when i say unrelenting what i mean is from basically May thru November it never really cools down. Unlike even Arizona where it can cool off at night. And yes i would say the state has more than their fair share of crazy people. The heat escalates the road rage also. Insane rude drivers. Makes Bostonians look like delicate flowers.
Quote Reply
Re: Possible Florida move [Ralph20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ralph20 wrote:
You are moving from the #1 rated K-12 educational system to the #40 ranked. Be sure you dealing with snow is worth your kids education.

https://www.usnews.com/...s/rankings/education
I hope you take those rankings with a huge grain of salt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Not sure what you are saying with that comment. Many of the school rankings I have seen generally resemble the ranking from the linked website. Coming from Maryland about a year ago I can tell you that the schools in Florida are pretty terrible. You will find a school here and there with ratings similar to schools from the northeast, but it's the rare exception.
Quote Reply
Re: Possible Florida move [Ralph20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ive lived all over the US and just dont buy that. I will spot you your top Maryland school for a shitty Fl school, then swap student bodies to find out whether the driver is the teachers or the students. Same thing locally. The vaunted Plant High School in Tampa is simply a reflection of the socioeconomic makeup of the students and high property values zoned to that location.
Quote Reply
Re: Possible Florida move [Pat0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol. People driving lose their mind over anything. Four way stops in south Florida neighborhoods bring out the crazy in people. It is amazing how retarded people act over what they perceive are terrible slights.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should put Nocatee on the list of places you are looking in to. It's pretty much exactly what you described wanting in the original post.

It's a great place for kids. The schools are excellent, and the community is very safe/family centric. There's a ton of stuff for the kids to do, including an awesome water park that is included in your CDD/HOA.

Others have already mentioned that the biking is really good. People come from all over the area every weekend to ride. The streets all have bike lanes and there isn't very much traffic. There are a lot of great places to run and it has the outdoor pool you are looking for. It's heated to swim in year round and swimming outdoors when the trees in the parking lot have Christmas lights on them never gets old. It's open from 5a-10p 6 days a week and you can always get a lane to yourself.

You said you like the heat so I would't worry about the summers. Some people think that life shuts down in FL in the summers but it doesn't. You can still bike, run, golf, etc. It's hot every single day for 5 months so you get used to it quickly.
Quote Reply
Re: Possible Florida move [sjctri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you explain the Cdd fees briefly. where do u find how much they are and how long to pay in addition to any hoa?

Disappointed that Bfas no longer at mickler landing with ride to nocatee.
Quote Reply

Prev Next