Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: USAT Age Group National Championships - Olympic Distance [Kentucky Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...or you can run the Sprint on the following day and leave your bike in the transition area. (At least you could last year.)
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group National Championships - Olympic Distance [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
I'm potentially going back this year, but in 2016 I found it kind of underwhelming. Collegiate nationals was much more competitive and well run. Not that it's a bad race, but i think you're overstating it a bit.

I'm curious, what AG Olympic Distance race do you think has a deeper field. (Collegiate Nats isn't what I would consider and AG race)

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group National Championships - Olympic Distance [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know. There are a lot of age group races i haven't done. Based off of results, i suspect the European age group races are more competitive. However, in my original post, all i compared it to was collegiate nationals, which i thought was a better overall race.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group National Championships - Olympic Distance [rustyb04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did it when it was in Vermont and thought it was one of the best races I've ever done. Really cool to be in a championship race with so many fast people. Cleveland is also a cool place to race. I've done the Cleveland Tri a number of times and always enjoyed it. Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is great and good way to spend before or after race. I qualified a couple of weeks ago and am anxiously waiting my invite so I can register. Then, if I have the race of my life there, I can maybe get in the top 80% of my age group ha ha ha - like I said there are lots of really fast people at that race - for some of us, just getting to that race is pretty cool and a big deal. It sounds like you are in the same boat - you should absolutely do the race - don't miss chance to do a championship race that you qualified for.
Last edited by: Jon: Apr 11, 18 8:12
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group National Championships - Olympic Distance [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
I don't know. There are a lot of age group races i haven't done. Based off of results, i suspect the European age group races are more competitive. However, in my original post, all i compared it to was collegiate nationals, which i thought was a better overall race.

I'm doing collegiate nationals this year. I'm blown away at how fast these races are. I don't consider myself a slouch at all (but also never a college swimmer/runner), but my 2:05 oly would be good enough to snag 50th in mens... That's insane.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group National Championships - Olympic Distance [rustyb04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My take, as I suspect we are somewhat similar. I made my way to a few smaller race clydesdale podiums, but once I went AG I wasn't all that competitive. Close sometimes, coming in 5th or 6th AG, but never going to make the podium at a decent sized race as I don't have the run. Smaller races are worse odds as you have to place higher. If my wave has 30 guys, I need to be podium. Nope. Goes without saying I'll never KQ or 70.3 worlds qualify

USAT qualifying isn't as hard as Kona or 70.3, and some folks easily do it every year (see thread above) Me, not so much. That said, I did make the "bubble" at a little local sprint in 2014 (not even that, a mini sprint, 1/2 mile swim, 6 mile bike, 2 mile run, it hurts bad if you go "fast"). I think the rules are if there are 30 guys you have to be 1-3, but if there's 34 or whatever, you get in on the fraction if you're 4th. That's what happened to me. Wasn't going to go, but then decided YOLO and who knows if or when I'd qualify again.

So I spent the grand, went out from Los Angeles to Milwaukee and had a blast. Great race, well organized, fast times. Coming from a "questionable" qualification (in my head at least) I didn't want to embarrass myself. Ended up in the top 50% so I was pleased. It was a really great experience and very glad I decided to do it. Still my Oly PR and 10K PR standalone or otherwise

And, due to timing and injuries etc., have not requalified since.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group National Championships - Olympic Distance [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did it for the first time last year, it was an awesome race. Great venue too, if you can handle the heat and humidity. That's right around where i finished last year, hoping to be on the pointy end of things this year but we'll see. Overall that was by far the best race I've ever done.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group National Championships - Olympic Distance [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stringcheese wrote:
It is the most competitive Olympic Distance race in the world.
It consistently draws the fastest AG's in the US.

second most competitive, the ITU Worlds AG is most competitive..

had hoped to go to Omaha, qualified, but health stopped play.. Cleveland is too far to drive for me, otherwise might have taken another shot at it..
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group National Championships - Olympic Distance [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote]Qualifying for nationals isn’t that big of a deal compared to qualifying for.....70.3 is because it isn’t[/quote]

Well considering the roll downs for Chattanooga went 35-45 deep in several age groups at multiple 70.3's last year and most AG's at Oceanside rolled well out of the top 10, qualifying for USAT Nationals may actually be more demanding on a racer

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group National Championships - Olympic Distance [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
It is only 3.5 hours from Lansing, so I’m biased, but at this point I plan on going the next 3 years. Easy call.

See you in Cleveland! Did I miss the announcement regarding the location of the 2020 nationals?

I've done tris the past half dozen years in mid August where we swam in Lake Erie between Cleveland and Toledo and the water certainly wasn't always too warm to legally wear wetsuits.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group National Championships - Olympic Distance [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pffff...nowhere near me. I would happily have taken one of those, but Muncie wasn’t even close. I figured it was late in the season, fast guys had their qualification already, maybe it would roll...nah. I think it went to 9th or 10th in M35-39?

I’ve done both the sprint and Olympic ay Nationals. Both had super fast dudes. Pretty cool to be on a course with so much speed around you.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group National Championships - Olympic Distance [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
[quote]Qualifying for nationals isn’t that big of a deal compared to qualifying for.....70.3 is because it isn’t[/quote]

Well considering the roll downs for Chattanooga went 35-45 deep in several age groups at multiple 70.3's last year and most AG's at Oceanside rolled well out of the top 10, qualifying for USAT Nationals may actually be more demanding on a racer

Interesting, I didn’t realize rolldowns were going that far now for 70.3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a dumb question, but is the Olympic distance draft legal?
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group National Championships - Olympic Distance [hammonjj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rustyb04 wrote:
Has anyone raced the USAT Age Group National Championships? Specifically the Olympic distance?

I qualified for it and am thinking about registering and racing this year. I know it is not nearly as big a deal as Kona or even the 70.3 World Championship. But, it was a big accomplishment for me in the sport. I am curious about the experiences of anyone else that has raced this event in the past. Is it worthwhile? Fun event?

It is mid-August in Cleveland this year. I have never been to Ohio so I guess that this would be a good reason to go.

Thanks for any input.

The whole idea that 140.6 or 70.3 are the only real race distances is pathetic. As has been said over and over, AG nats is the real deal. Getting there is excellent. Do well there, and you can rest assured you've "made it" in triathlon. The events are (usually) run in top notch fashion, way beyond what most local races can do. Great atmosphere. Crazy fast racers.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Late to the party, but the short answer is definitely go!
Here's a much longer answer: I've been to Omaha AG Nationals 2017 Olympic and Sprint, Tuscaloosa Collegiate/High School Nationals 2017, Youth and Junior Nationals 2014-2017 in Ohio and all were first class experiences. I need to add that I was only a spectator/cheerleader for a much younger and faster racer. In 2017 the top 6 men were under 2:00:00 at AG and the top 19 men were under 2:00:00 at Collegiate Club Nats. Penalties are enforced at both evident by the multiple +2s on the results. I live in southern Ohio and have visited Cleveland many times. I will be surprised if Lake Erie is above 78 degrees, even in August.
Quote Reply

Prev Next