Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Oceanside Bike/Run, too good to be true?? [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
How is 2:08 not considered a slow bike course? These days a "standard" top pro bike split is like 2:04 or less. I was surprised by how slow the pro times were. I'd expect Sanders to be under 2:02-2:03 on a "fast course". Just my opinion.

See above for context of discussion, I interpreted Monty's comment as a "slow day" at Oceanside - he wrote "relatively slow bike day" not "slow course"
Last edited by: ChrisM: Apr 10, 18 11:39
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside Bike/Run, too good to be true?? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok guys, I fucked up!!! I clicked what I though was oceanside results and apparently it was Texas..I bow down to your forgiveness and hope I can continue on here as the plebe that I am....
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside Bike/Run, too good to be true?? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Ok guys, I fucked up!!! I clicked what I though was oceanside results and apparently it was Texas..I bow down to your forgiveness and hope I can continue on here as the plebe that I am....

Awww, Monty! I'll buy you a beer at Wildflower LOL
Last edited by: ChrisM: Apr 10, 18 11:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was a ton of drafting in the MOP at the end of the race, but it was so crowded it couldn't be avoided.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that I should be buying the beers, I will have my RV fridge stocked..

At the very least we got a discussion going about the race and peoples experiences at different points in it. But man, go look at the AG splits of Texas, then overlay them onto here, you can see why I was so surprised!(and wrong)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks to me like it was both. I’d expect Lionel to still be under 2:05 on a slow course.
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside Bike/Run, too good to be true?? [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's done it four times, only broke 2:05 once by 14 seconds
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside Bike/Run, too good to be true?? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Being out there in the middle/front, I did witness a fair bit of drafting, particularly in the final hour. It's actually a pretty hilly course (much hillier than I remembered!), so that tends to keep it fair until you hit the flats with a bit of headwind. There were groups of 7-20 that I watched ride by me or kept reeling me back in after I worked my butt off to get away from them for 10 minutes. It's frustrating, but unfortunately inevitable with such large fields. It would be good to concentrate the officials in the highest risk areas like those final 15 miles. The officials seemed particularly nice at this race as they seemed to be giving out warnings when they obviously should have busted some people. I didn't see anyone in a penalty tent when I passed them. One gal in particular was drafting in a ridiculous manner (like 2 feet off the wheel) for over an hour just contently holding 4th position in the pack (off of my husband and 20 other guys) and he remembered her number to see how she did in the race. She won. So much for karma!!
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside Bike/Run, too good to be true?? [Diana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw some drafting as well. I usually expect it but some of the blatancy I saw was mind blowing and looked dangerous. I would not feel safe riding 3-4 dude's wheels in front of me on a TT bike when I have no clue how they're going to handle themselves in aero.

A pack of some dudes passed me early in the bike and the first guy said "here we come". I passed them later on and said "stop f***ing drafting"

https://www.strava.com/athletes/4391866

Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside Bike/Run, too good to be true?? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
iamuwere wrote:
My two Garmins (yes I should drop the watch on the bike) both measure it as 55.98 miles. Pretty darn close.

Winds were mild but a bit of headwind back into town the last 15 miles or so.

I had an absurd amount of bike mechanicals and had to get off 5 times to fix it so hard to say the speed. I went just over 2:30 and usually would go 2:20 or so on a course like this.

I did see a long set of about 6-8 riders riding in a nice peloton in the second half of the ride. These would have been all in the <30 minute swim group. All very near the front of the back. There were less than 40 or 50 bikes in T2 when I got there. I kept working at it, but could never catch that peloton. I did not see a single USAT/Ironman referee the entire bike.

Would you normally have the fastest AG bike split in a race that competitive?
--Maybe not first, but near the first. I have been first AG on a Ironman branded race and several top 5.

Because it was 2:19 that day. How far behind the "peleton" were you? It's extremely hard (actually impossible) to judge if someone is riding legally when they are a hundred yards in front of you.
---I was about 100y back, but with the winding roads, it was pretty easy to see the group on profile for about a half hour or so.

In the second half of the bike, how can you possibly tell if someone who is maybe in the top 40-50 athletes on the course swam sub 30?
--I was only passed by two riders during the bike until I had a major derailleur malfunction near the end of the ride that wrecked my race overall. So it was pretty easy to keep track of how many people there were knowing where I entered the water, left the water and who passed me.

A lot of those guys will be the 34 minute swimmers who pounded the bike. A lot of the sub-30 swimmers will have fallen way back on the bike.
-----Maybe a few who passed me, but not many. I passed many <30 swimmers, but there could have only been a couple 34 minute swimmers who came by me and they could yes have been hammering quite hard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The weather was perfect in my opinion. My Garmin was 55.96.
I was far from the leaders, but did see some groups that seemed to be riding together. Not blatant drafting, but certainly could have gotten drafting calls. So a couple bike lengths and when the back guy recovered, he would move past everyone. OK, maybe blatant, but they would argue.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside Bike/Run, too good to be true?? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Time to set up some random hidden cameras with hidden chip trackers out in the middle of the bike course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I think that I should be buying the beers, I will have my RV fridge stocked..

At the very least we got a discussion going about the race and peoples experiences at different points in it. But man, go look at the AG splits of Texas, then overlay them onto here, you can see why I was so surprised!(and wrong)

I've read your edit :)

Just wanted to add the main 70.3 in my area with around 2000 competitors, about 50% of the top 20 bikers would be AGers, the rest pros. There are a few ex pro cyclists in their 30s, 40s and 50s that are knocking off 2.05, 2.06 times, beating a whole bunch of pros. And I would have thought guys at that level wouldn't have anyone to draft off? i.e the pros are long gone before they hop on their bike
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside Bike/Run, too good to be true?? [TriangleIL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw that group too - they were being blatantly obvious about drafting and the marshal kept riding next to them and they didn’t bat an eye! At least 2, maybe 3 wide several deep too I saw. I even had someone drafting right off me for a few minutes which was pretty lame :-/!
Quote Reply

Prev Next