Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

California Love - IM Oceanside 70.3 - Can I go again?
Quote | Reply
This won't be a race report - frankly, I am not sure anyone cares about how I did at Oceanside 70.3 other than me. Rather, I just wanted to comment on a few of the many things that made this easily one of the best race experiences - certainly the very best 70.3 I've done. In no particular order:

...actually, in one particular order:

1A. The Slowtwitch Community - as someone who checked into roll call expressing concerns about the swim (before it was changed), rather than getting slagged, I found myself invited to an open water swim clinic, a great coached practice swim in surf (never did it before being landlocked and away from big waves in DC). I won't embarrass my new bestie by naming her here - but you know who you are - and I will be forever grateful for your hospitality and kindness in taking care of me. With my race buddy having to drop out at the last minute for personal reasons, I literally arrived knowing not a soul. I left Oceanside richer in friends and richer for an amazing racing experience.

OK the rest...

1. Amazing course - I know some folks wanted the beach/surf start for the swim....glad I didn't have to learn surf management on the fly...those hills on Pendleton...brutality, but seriously amazing scenery (note to self: get a compact cassette and more hill practice in the winter)...and that run is just incredible...hard to not be inspired with the view, the crowds, the awesome volunteers. Didn't hurt that the weather was about as perfect as it could get! I'm sure Oceanside gets dreary...it certainly wasn't on the 7th.

2. Getting the chance to compete in the same arena as the best pros and elite amateurs in the world. How often do you get to fist bump Lionel Sanders in transition race morning and have him wish you a good race?

3. Racing in Oceanside - a seriously cool little town with laid back and friendly residents.

4. An expo worth attending..some cool drool worthy bikes, gear, recovery products, wetsuits, etc..and a lot of triathlon starpower...there's Heather Jackson! There's Jesse Thomas! There's Paula Newby-Fraser! There's Mike Reilly! and on and on...

5. Seriously, best post race food ever! Long line, but well worth it. Those burritos kicked the piss out of the cold pizza at most races or the poutine (sorry Canadians, but it's just not my idea of post race food) at Tremblant.

....and then I got off the plane Sunday evening to 38 degrees in DC....racing season is still a long way away here....I may not be able to wait till next April...Santa Rosa anyone?
Quote Reply
Re: California Love - IM Oceanside 70.3 - Can I go again? [globetrotterjon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm somewhat local in LA, and love this race for many of the same reasons you outlined above. There's this great energy/vibe there that I have never experienced at another 70.3 there.

Personally thought those burritos were kinda shit, they had amazing tacos a few years back, wish they did that again.

Will likely be back in O'side next year for the 5th straight year. Glad to hear you enjoyed the race

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Re: California Love - IM Oceanside 70.3 - Can I go again? [TriSpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriSpencer wrote:
I'm somewhat local in LA, and love this race for many of the same reasons you outlined above. There's this great energy/vibe there that I have never experienced at another 70.3 there.

Personally thought those burritos were kinda shit, they had amazing tacos a few years back, wish they did that again.

Will likely be back in O'side next year for the 5th straight year. Glad to hear you enjoyed the race

Dude.. that is the entirely most accurate race report I have heard the entire Oceanside field of threads. WTF happened there? The race went down in an area that is so heavily populated with people that know how to make a burrito right that it's almost impossible to make a bad one, yet somehow they managed.. it's like they were actively trying.

That said, everything else about the race was pretty superb, aside from the the change from a beach start to a harbor start because a bunch of bitchy delicate snowflakes who can't handle literally calf high waves complained
Quote Reply