Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Similar bike to Felt AR5 ?
Quote | Reply
Hi there

I'm looking into buying a new bike for both triathlon and road events. The reason I'm looking for one bike for both is that I don't do a tons of races per year so I don't want to invest in a specific tri bike yet. Instead, I prefer a good road bike on which I can use clip-on areobars. It's a kind of compromise.

That being said, I came accross the Felt AR5 which seems to match my needs since the reversible seatpost is perfect for both road and triathlon and the frameset has great value too. The thing is I don't want to buy a new one to cut the price down to something around 1500$. And I'm having a hard time finding an old one in my area (year 2015/2016).

So, my question is : what are the other alternatives for my needs ? I really want a bike made for this dual use. Also I read about reversible seatpost by redshift but would it be as much effective as on the Felt AR ? What if I consider buying a Specialized Tarmac or Venge for instance ? (2 models I love).

thanks for your input!
Last edited by: StarySky: Apr 10, 18 5:40
Quote Reply
Re: Similar bike to Felt AR5 ? [StarySky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was seeing new leftover 105-equipped ones go for under $2000 on ebay last year. I think there were even some Euro-market ones around $1500 that were Tiagra equipped.

If you're handy, I've seen NOS 2013 Cervelo S2 framesets in the $5-600 range.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Apr 9, 18 15:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The argon nitrogen can also flip seatpost though I think the felt can get to 78°, the argon just 76°.

Great bike, still love mine! I've seen 2015s locally for less than $1500 cdn (used) so there are deals for sure. Unfortunately it's a fairly rare brand here too, so I don't see them often.

Pink bike? Slowtwitch classifieds? What about local Facebook buy/sell bike groups?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get the AR. Great bike.!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Similar bike to Felt AR5 ? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
May Bike shop. Com has a AR 4 in a 56 1599.
Quote Reply
Re: Similar bike to Felt AR5 ? [tickyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tickyboy wrote:
The argon nitrogen can also flip seatpost though I think the felt can get to 78°, the argon just 76°.

Great bike, still love mine! I've seen 2015s locally for less than $1500 cdn (used) so there are deals for sure. Unfortunately it's a fairly rare brand here too, so I don't see them often.

Pink bike? Slowtwitch classifieds? What about local Facebook buy/sell bike groups?

Yeah Argon would be a great choice too for sure. But they are rare as well.
I tried some other buy/sells groups but I think when you aim at a specific model (and size!), patience is the key.
Last edited by: StarySky: Apr 10, 18 5:40
Quote Reply
Re: Similar bike to Felt AR5 ? [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also looked at some framesets as there are opportunities to find great deals on them (pre-owned or not).
I'm not handy yet to build a full custom bike but why not, I'm still considering this option.
It would be nice if I could have a list a framesets that are "compatible" with a reversible seatpost.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Ceepo Mamba is another one with the reversible seatpost
Quote Reply
Re: Similar bike to Felt AR5 ? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the link, I didn't know this site.
My size is 54 unfortunately :(
Quote Reply
Re: Similar bike to Felt AR5 ? [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like Ceepo framesets but are they not only for triathlon ? which means with a specific triathlon handlebar ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Ceepo Mamba is basically an aero road bike that can be "adapted" to triathlons, flipping the seatpost and adding the clip ons
http://www.ceepo.com/portfolio/2018-mamba/

another option is also the Kestrel Talon, that is also quite good value

http://www.kestrelbicycles.com/road/talon-x-shimano-105
Quote Reply
Re: Similar bike to Felt AR5 ? [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jollyroger88 wrote:
The Ceepo Mamba is basically an aero road bike that can be "adapted" to triathlons, flipping the seatpost and adding the clip ons
http://www.ceepo.com/portfolio/2018-mamba/

another option is also the Kestrel Talon, that is also quite good value

http://www.kestrelbicycles.com/road/talon-x-shimano-105
Nice I didn't know the Kestrel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the Kestrel provides good value, and particularly if you do some basic or larger swaps (e.g. upgrade to aero road bar, seat, wheelset to, say, HED plus, etc.).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think one obvious choice is the Cervelo S series. Find one in your budget, get a 2nd seat post and race.

I've seen some nice S2's for good prices in the last few months. I'm very happy using my S1 in the same exact way.
Quote Reply
Re: Similar bike to Felt AR5 ? [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bought my 2015 Felt AR 5 on ebay for 1510 shipped. Brand new.

Still seem them pop up for similar from time to time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bonus on the redshift seatpost is that no tools are required to change the position of it, and you can technically change it on the fly if you want. Also their aero bars install/de-install pretty easy (according to an article I read). Never tried the seat post buy I would have before I got a tri-bike, if I could have installed it on my road bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Similar bike to Felt AR5 ? [tyme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tyme wrote:
The bonus on the redshift seatpost is that no tools are required to change the position of it, and you can technically change it on the fly if you want. Also their aero bars install/de-install pretty easy (according to an article I read). Never tried the seat post buy I would have before I got a tri-bike, if I could have installed it on my road bike.
Ok but I assume they are not compatible with all bikes, right ? I mean, does a redshift seatpost exist for every (or at least mostly) road bike ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My LBS just dumped an older 2016? TMR02 with 105 for $1,500. I should have bought it...

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply