Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Why is everyone so "stoked"?
Quote | Reply
Pros and AGers alike seem to have really adopted surfer/beach bum lingo of late in posts, updates, interviews, etc.. I am not sure I could look myself in the mirror if I used "stoked" in regular conversation. Excited, eager, even pumped, will suffice.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is everyone so "stoked"? [milkman1982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ll be stoked once the damn kids get off my lawn!

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Why is everyone so "stoked"? [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brah, chill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because they sent it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Technically I grew up on an island of an island. A sand dune if you will.

The way people talk there is fascinating haha the way they look is even more so. Still today - no matter where I go - in a full $1000 suit - I still get "you surf don't you"

so mad polies brah brah - dont matta who ya are (groms or old guys) if your pumped/stoked/geekalareeked on the elephants marching on the horizon - you know it is going to be buttery and its how we talk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does it have anything to do with the fact that lots of these same people also wear trucker hats and big aviator-style sunglasses?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yo, dog...word
Quote Reply
Re: Why is everyone so "stoked"? [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
Does it have anything to do with the fact that lots of these same people also wear trucker hats and big aviator-style sunglasses?

just came here to say the exact same thing.

carry on.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm more concerned about the pervasive existence of "Hella" from NorCal. Being stoked is just normal lingo if you're from SoCal.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you offended by crackpipes too?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milkman1982 wrote:
Pros and AGers alike seem to have really adopted surfer/beach bum lingo of late in posts, updates, interviews, etc.. I am not sure I could look myself in the mirror if I used "stoked" in regular conversation. Excited, eager, even pumped, will suffice.

Dude, I have been using the words dude and stoked since the mid-1970s.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: Why is everyone so "stoked"? [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bruh, I dunno but this isn't a 'dude' or 'stoked' sport. Like, I can't tell someone that I got 450th in my AG because I'm just out here to find my soul or expand my mind. This isn't a hobby were we go on about not caring about things like marketing, what some number on a computer says, or having a coach tell me what to do. Its actually quite the opposite.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Residual effect from the recent Winter Olympics; call it the "Sean White Effect." All the Snowboarders and Slopestyle Skiers are perpetually "Stoked." We hear it so much for those couple weeks, it seeps into our brains and becomes part of our lexicon.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oceanside osmosis.

Now go home, kooks.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is everyone so "stoked"? [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm stoked on crack pipes....
Quote Reply
Re: Why is everyone so "stoked"? [furiousferret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
furiousferret wrote:
Bruh, I dunno but this isn't a 'dude' or 'stoked' sport. Like, I can't tell someone that I got 450th in my AG because I'm just out here to find my soul or expand my mind. This isn't a hobby were we go on about not caring about things like marketing, what some number on a computer says, or having a coach tell me what to do. Its actually quite the opposite.

Which is actually kind of a bummer man, b/c originally finding out how far you could go was the whole point of the sport. From what i've read of the history of the sport, the original iron men were racing back in 1978-79-80 but it was more just to see if they could endure. Now so many seem to worry if they have the fastest latex tubes, most aero brakes, etc, etc, ad nauseum.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Why is everyone so "stoked"? [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:
milkman1982 wrote:

Dude, I have been using the words dude and stoked since the mid-1970s.

Contrary-wise, I've been a skateboarder & surfer for about that long, as well, and I rarely say "stoked"

Maybe I'm too Jersey for that shit?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Why is everyone so "stoked"? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually - so I came from the town Kelly Slater is from. The Hobgoods were not to far south. etc. The old guard guys.

"Stoked" has kind of gone out of lingo. Pumped is used way more. Amped I hear occasionally. "Just gonna send it" is pretty big because of the Larry the Enticer video.

It may seem odd - but when someone who doesn't surf says "stoked" it sounds kind of goofy. But when someone you never met who you clearly can tell surfs - it sounds normal. Hard to explain.

Other words still in use with definitions -

Shreddable - waves look really really fun or waves look decent enough to surf pretty well
Send it - going to go big
Nug - when waves get a nice little peak to them, probably no shoulder, just a hollow drop. A nug
Barrelfest - aka lots of barrels
narly - still a classic word - intense
grom - little surfer kid
ya ya no ya - means yes
no no ya no - means no
no ya ya no - means no
ya ya no - means no
brah - friend or buddy
narbrah - its intense and said to a friend
charge it - to go full in
finish line - as in "that girl is a right finish line" - shes been run through.
wank - someone we got the british slang thrown in there haha
hella - "hella intense", "hella fun", "hella awesome" - almost could be used interchangeably with "super"

feel free to add - this is mostly east coast florida.
Quote Reply