Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Masters Swimming - Tampa? details
Quote | Reply
29 year old male - never a "swimmer" but did triathlon for a good bit then took a break to focus on work (have to get that career going). I am now in a good place to devote time to workouts other than running and the gym - which are pretty abusive to do everyday.

I can swim yes - fairly well. Grew up surfing and was on a dive team so always around swimmers. Would a masters program care that I really only know freestyle? haha I am sure it is all fairly good swimmers.

It is the greater Tampa swim association masters program - not sure if the are defunct or a current club. Getting conflicting reads on it.

Any help and info?
Last edited by: LuchaLibre: Apr 9, 18 10:00
Quote Reply
Re: Masters Swimming? details [LuchaLibre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Would a masters program care that I really only know freestyle?

Most won't but you should expect some good natured ribbing. Plus, you never know you might pick up some more strokes as you go along.

Quote:
haha I am sure it is all fairly good swimmers.

You'd be surprised. I've swam in masters groups with everything from Olympic Trials qualifiers to grandma's just learning to swim. Everyone is there for the same thing - swim, have fun, and hang out with like-minded people.

As you know swimmers can be a bit odd (but no where near as odd as divers - couldn't resist) but give it time and you should fit in.

Can't help with anything Tampa related.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LuchaLibre wrote:
29 year old male - never a "swimmer" but did triathlon for a good bit then took a break to focus on work (have to get that career going). I am now in a good place to devote time to workouts other than running and the gym - which are pretty abusive to do everyday.
I can swim yes - fairly well. Grew up surfing and was on a dive team so always around swimmers. Would a masters program care that I really only know freestyle? haha I am sure it is all fairly good swimmers.
It is the greater Tampa swim association masters program - not sure if the are defunct or a current club. Getting conflicting reads on it.
Any help and info?

Go to http://www.usms.org, dig down to the Tampa program, and you should find some contact info. Also, you could PM "redcorvette", "HuffnPuff", and/or "GreenPlease", all three swim Masters in that area.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can check on usms.org (US Masters) to see what clubs are in your area.

Masters swimming can be pretty fun. They do adult meets too which are a nice change up I’ve found!
Quote Reply
Re: Masters Swimming? details [daswafford] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haha yea divers are a weird breed. Dove in high school and college and everyone was a weird clown haha

That makes me feel better then. Running everyday on top of gym is just beating me silly and I am not good at rest days so swimming - although certainly not rest - it is just a change from impact to none (ish)

plus - would be nice to meet people my age in Tampa who do not like to just go out and get sloppy drunk all the time - or at least do that but also work out haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I was in Tampa two years ago for an internship. I don't know where you're going to be, but I used to run/cycle around Davis Island daily. I'd be out just after 5:00 AM to avoid as much traffic as I could. So if you're looking to get riding in around downtown, Davis Island seemed like the only option. I was staying in Ybor, so some of my later commutes back to the house were scary during 7AM traffic.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Masters Swimming? details [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I mostly swim an "Early Bird" program in Tampa with no instruction whatsoever...just a lifeguard that opens it from 5-7am. As much as I would enjoy having a competent coach on deck it's not worth the drive when I have 2 pools within 5 mins of my house. Once a year, I'll go over to Clermont and pay for some time for stroke correction with either Sara McClarty (former ITU pro) or Misty Becarra of SLAP (Swim Like a Pro).

Probably the best program around for Masters is at the Long Center. Check Kennedy Law Racing coached by Park Alsop. They have an arrangement for Masters at the Long Center plus at another pool near Bellair.

Other resources include "OWS Leo Brecino" who coaches through Outspokin/GOAT Fitness. Leo puts on Tuesday evening swims at Clearwater Beach, a monthly trip to Rainbow River starting in May (an absolute must!), and coaches at St Pete Acquatics and/or Bobby Hicks.

"TriFloyd" puts on Wed PM OWS along the Courtney Campbell Causeway.
Quote Reply
Re: Masters Swimming? details [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the info from the above posters.

I am in south Tampa but work in Brandon so anything in clear water is difficult due to work (finance is a bit of a long hour gig) hence why the morning practice at U of T pool could be doable.
I did a corporate 5k last week and saw the Kennedy team there - looked pretty interesting. They all seemed to be having a good bit of fun! I will have to look into that.

Got an email from the masters coach and he said they had a good group of pretty much everyone. I think Ill give that a whirl - haven't had an actual 5am practice since college so this will take some getting used to haha
Quote Reply