Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 5800 shifter chewed the cable, 1yr in, and a race Weds [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's definitely stainless this time. I made sure to spring for it when asked.

Baby is back together and tonight is the hurt session in the time trial. All I really need for that anyway is one gear since it's pan flat and not windy today. But, now I have them all again!
Quote Reply
Re: 5800 shifter chewed the cable, 1yr in, and a race Weds [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beston wrote:
jaretj wrote:
If you aren't checking over your cables once a month you are neglecting maintenance.

Am I color blind and missing the pink-font? I hope so.

...If not: Good lord! What are you doing to your cables that necessitates such frequent inspection!!!??? Shifting all 11 cogs without pedalling? Leaving your bike at the beach by the ocean (...if so, I'm actually jealous)? Sweating acid?

I think you're forgetting what forum you're in. filled with many people who worry about an extra 1g of weight. I do basic bike maintenance and a basic inspection but not at this level. I would expect the bike shop to do this if it's a common issue with shimano shifters.
Quote Reply
Re: 5800 shifter chewed the cable, 1yr in, and a race Weds [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
beston wrote:
jaretj wrote:
If you aren't checking over your cables once a month you are neglecting maintenance.

...If not: Good lord! What are you doing to your cables that necessitates such frequent inspection!!!??? Shifting all 11 cogs without pedalling? Leaving your bike at the beach by the ocean (...if so, I'm actually jealous)? Sweating acid?

I think you're forgetting what forum you're in. filled with many people who worry about an extra 1g of weight. I do basic bike maintenance and a basic inspection but not at this level. I would expect the bike shop to do this if it's a common issue with shimano shifters.

In Post 21 I said:

"I don't replace cables every month, I look at them and see if there are any problems. It basically take two minutes. "

Somebody then disagreed that it's a two minute job but I really think that's a matter of opinion. I don't go into that much depth, just shift the bike through all of the gears and look at what I can see on the cables that are exposed.
Quote Reply
Re: 5800 shifter chewed the cable, 1yr in, and a race Weds [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

In Post 21 I said:

"I don't replace cables every month, I look at them and see if there are any problems. It basically take two minutes. "

Somebody then disagreed that it's a two minute job but I really think that's a matter of opinion. I don't go into that much depth, just shift the bike through all of the gears and look at what I can see on the cables that are exposed.

That's great and will certainly solve the problems of cables fraying where they are exposed. But the only time that I had a shifter cable break on me, it was inside of my shifter mechanism. As others here have mentioned, that is a common place to experience the problem.

Getting in there is simply not a two minute job. If you think that's a matter of opinion, I suggest you try yourself
Quote Reply
Re: 5800 shifter chewed the cable, 1yr in, and a race Weds [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
jaretj wrote:

In Post 21 I said:

That's great and will certainly solve the problems of cables fraying where they are exposed. But the only time that I had a shifter cable break on me, it was inside of my shifter mechanism. As others here have mentioned, that is a common place to experience the problem.

Getting in there is simply not a two minute job. If you think that's a matter of opinion, I suggest you try yourself

I would point out that none of this ever happens with Campy, I have both systems on different bikes and the Campy wears in not out. You can use the ergo shifters on shimano cassettes now. I know that is not necessarily helpful, but the shimano cable fray problem has been around for 10 years. If you buy the Campy from euro mail order it is nearly the same price as Shimano.
Quote Reply
Re: 5800 shifter chewed the cable, 1yr in, and a race Weds [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
beston wrote:
jaretj wrote:

x2 what Jaretj said. I know what forum i'm in. I'm pretty meticulous about my bike, but to call someone out for not checking once a month is a bit much. Besides that, If he's doing it in less than 2 minutes, he couldn't possibly spot this sort of issue.
Quote Reply
Re: 5800 shifter chewed the cable, 1yr in, and a race Weds [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
mickison wrote:
beston wrote:
jaretj wrote:

In Post 21 I said:

but you pull the rubber cover back, right? I honestly think many people don't do that. I know I don't. I just do the basic check before each ride and I assume my luck would be super bad if my cables happened to be frayed under the covers and BOTH brakes failed at the same time.
Quote Reply
Re: 5800 shifter chewed the cable, 1yr in, and a race Weds [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
jaretj wrote:

In Post 21 I said:

OK
Quote Reply
Re: 5800 shifter chewed the cable, 1yr in, and a race Weds [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Yobroski wrote:
Well what the shit, make a TSB for it. I wouldn't complain even if I had to pay to replace with a newly redesigned part. I'd rather not have something fail while riding.

Yes!

This is the gist. I don't mind having to do maintenance, but if your product doesn't follow industry norms, you need to be recognizing it and saying something.

I'll gladly do it if I know. Nobody said a word when I bought the bike, nor dropped it for the routine inspections, or anything else. I'd even ask "hey, is there anything the next little bit I should look out for". "Nope, you should be good a while longer".

I'm the guy too that probably replaces chains, cassettes, and disassembles to clean/lube jockey wheels more often than necessary. Same with shoe cleats, etc...

So you are saying that if there had been a TSB you would have seen it because you regularly check these?

Did you ask the bike shop service department if they are aware of this issue with 5800 cables? To me it seems they are the ones to blame.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply

Prev Next