Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is there a way to polish the sides of my Zipp 808 to upgrade its decals?
Quote | Reply
It's kinda hard to explain, so a picture worth a thousand words.

I want to upgrade my decals to match my 2016 black 404, but after removing the original black/white-outline decals you the naked parts had this gray tint to it. Anybody can think of an idea/way/product to restore the sides?

Quote Reply
Re: Is there a way to polish the sides of my Zipp 808 to upgrade its decals? [teixido] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Put the new labels over it

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a way to polish the sides of my Zipp 808 to upgrade its decals? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, but the new labels are smaller than the previous ones. Already did a test run and they look like crap. I'm considering either going naked or ordering back the original ones.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a way to polish the sides of my Zipp 808 to upgrade its decals? [teixido] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teixido wrote:
yeah, but the new labels are smaller than the previous ones. Already did a test run and they look like crap. I'm considering either going naked or ordering back the original ones.

So it's like the carbon has faded?

I used cutting polish and a buffer for my road bike to get a few surface scratches out of the paintwork and brighten it up. Might work for your wheels. Have you try rubbing the area with acetone/goof off?
Last edited by: zedzded: Apr 8, 18 18:12
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a way to polish the sides of my Zipp 808 to upgrade its decals? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi zed. Thanks for chiming in.

I actually used goof off to remove the residue from the original decals. Can you explain what cutting polish is? I could try that for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teixido wrote:
Hi zed. Thanks for chiming in.

I actually used goof off to remove the residue from the original decals. Can you explain what cutting polish is? I could try that for sure.

I can't see the picture BTW?

It's used for cars for removing very small scratches and shining up dull patches.

I had mismatched stickers on my disc and 808 and it looked crappy, so I removed them both and got black ones. Looks heaps better and a piece of cake to install. Maybe just get the original white ones for the 808 and white ones for the 404. Black would look better, but at least they'll match.
Last edited by: zedzded: Apr 8, 18 19:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ride reaalll fast and no one will see.

Kent
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a way to polish the sides of my Zipp 808 to upgrade its decals? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
I used cutting polish and a buffer for my road bike to get a few surface scratches out of the paintwork and brighten it up. Might work for your wheels. Have you try rubbing the area with acetone/goof off?

I would be very, very careful with acetone near structural carbon.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep in mind that after a few rides the newly exposed carbon will fade to match the rest. Honestly probably more hassle than its worth, and as others said, no one can even tell when you're moving or not looking for the mismatch specifically.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a way to polish the sides of my Zipp 808 to upgrade its decals? [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tessar wrote:
zedzded wrote:

I would be very, very careful with acetone near structural carbon.

Whereby Zipp itself recommends acetone to remove residual adhesive.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a way to polish the sides of my Zipp 808 to upgrade its decals? [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use acetone on my frames and wheels almost every day.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a way to polish the sides of my Zipp 808 to upgrade its decals? [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If that's what they recommend, then great. Reading the manufacturer's advice is a great example of being careful...

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry guys, here's the pic. I have no idea what's going on with the previous link.
Last edited by: teixido: Apr 9, 18 14:41
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a way to polish the sides of my Zipp 808 to upgrade its decals? [Kent_NewZealand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hahahaha, nice one. Probably the best idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why would you defile your beautiful carbon rims with stickers?

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a way to polish the sides of my Zipp 808 to upgrade its decals? [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1

And decals add weight ....

And ..... and ..... decals spoil the aero dimples .....

And ..... it looks cool to have a nicely used patina on your bike ..... it says you have been somewhere and done something.

And by doing nothing you will save time for more training, resting, and eating.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teixido wrote:
Sorry guys, here's the pic. I have no idea what's going on with the previous link.

WTF happened to your wheels?? Were they left out in the sun?
Quote Reply