Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

P2M NG power spikes after firmware update
Quote | Reply
I own a first batch P2M Rotor NG. With the exception of an occasional drop out (never happens with my Type S) I've been quite happy with it so far. A few days ago I installed the P2M app and conducted a firmware update. Since then I'm not happy anymore:

* I get several huge power spikes per ride
* on cobbles the NG dies for a second. This comes at the same time as a power spike

Yes, I will have to contact P2M on this. I just wanted to ask if anyone has has similar issues. As a customer it's always better to have a second viewpoint, especially with bike electronics.
Quote Reply
Re: P2M NG power spikes after firmware update [sryke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same problem here... first batch Rotor 3D24 NG. What head unit are you using? P2M blamed it on my Garmin Edge 510 when I had these problems with my original P2M.
Quote Reply
Re: P2M NG power spikes after firmware update [marcofoils] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is exactly the sort of bs response that I fear. I use a 820 as head unit.

What has been your solution so far? Just live with it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With the original P2M it was not so bad, the spikes occurred only on some long bumpy descents. So maybe one or two spikes every few weeks. The unit then ended up on a B bike, since no solution was in sight I just lived with it and edited the spikes out manually in wko.

I took the TT bike out for the first ride after the update last Friday and had 5 spikes in 90k. Before the update I had problems with connectivity, in big 70.3 races everything worked but for sprints I had dropouts. Sometimes the first 10min or so, on other races random 5-10min chunks. I suspect the longer transition run helped the NG wake up and connect properly. Regarding that issue P2M could not provide any help (except the standard connectivity problem deactivate all unnecessary sensors re-pair etc).

I have contacted P2M regarding the spikes of the NG this weekend. Will let you know what response I get.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I contacted P2max about the same issue (P2max NG + Garmin computer) they told me to disable "torque data" in the Android app and that was torque data that created the spikes with Garmin computers. Haven't had a chance to ride outside since (and on the rollers it nevers happened even before I removed "torque data") so I can't tell you if it solved the issue. You can also try... and I think I'll ride my TT bike outside this week so I will also let you know. Hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got the same reply from P2M: deactivate torque data.
Quote Reply
Re: P2M NG power spikes after firmware update [pyf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got the the same response from P2M this morning. I sent them an email yesterday. Haven't tested it yet either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes! Same for me. The power spikes usually occur when I'm hitting a hard bump. That didn't happen until maybe 2 months ago. Now I get them all the time, multiple times every ride.

Edit: I remember I deselected torque data some time ago, but then I did a factory reset of the powermeter so it might be back on, and that might be when the spiked started occurring. I'll turn torque data off and see if that improves things.
Last edited by: nchristi: Apr 9, 18 4:02
Quote Reply
Re: P2M NG power spikes after firmware update [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mmmmm ... switched off torque, first ride today.

This was Sunday WITH torque on. A road race, very rough roads, quite a few cobble sections:

and this is tody. Endurance ride, smooth roads. All looked good until 4.5h. Not sure what caused this spike, goes along with a zero cadence. Could have been a bump in the road

Last edited by: sryke: Apr 10, 18 8:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder if there aren't two different causes, e.g. today and the post-firmware update issue may be different.

I just did a quick search over my Golden Cheetah actvities. Occassionally, there are single peaks. Always in this lower range 700-900 W. And always just one peak per ride (with zero cadence). Definitiely looks different to this spikey pattern with torque turned on.
Quote Reply
Re: P2M NG power spikes after firmware update [nchristi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't had issues since I've turned torque data off. Well just one power spike in a few weeks, compared to multiple power spikes per ride when torque was on.
Quote Reply