Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Enve Wheel failure
Quote | Reply
Was out for a ride today. Crested the top of a climb and just started the descent. All of the sudden my rear wheel just locked up and the bike started sliding sideways. Somehow I managed to get stopped and unclipped without crashing.

I got off the bike and noticed I couldn’t turn the pedals at all. I then looked at the rear wheel and realised 3 spokes were broken and the tire was flat. The wheel was obviously out of alignment and wedged against the frame. The spokes were not right next to each other but each broke about the same place, about half way across.

Anyone have any idea what could have happened? As far as I know I didn’t run over anything but it happened really fast with no warning. Also, is my Enve trash or can the spokes be replaced?
Quote Reply
Re: Enve Wheel failure [Patrick E] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sounds like a spoke failure and not an ENVE issue.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe check with Enve? Was your quick release fully closed? Any chance it shifted out on a bump, or when you shifted for the downhill?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Patrick E wrote:
Anyone have any idea what could have happened? As far as I know I didn’t run over anything but it happened really fast with no warning. Also, is my Enve trash or can the spokes be replaced?

One spoke snapped and the added stress on the rest of the wheel caused the two others to snap. That's my theory. Spokes fail. Usually without warning. And they can be replaced. Take the wheel to a reputable bike shop. It's not an expensive repair. They will replace the spokes and true the wheel. In my area, that's probably a $20 or $30 repair.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Post some pics if you can. Sounds like a simple spoke failure. Good thing it happened before you'd gotten up too much speed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the rest, but just to explain further: a spoke failed and the end of the spoke popped outward and punctured the tire. The spoke failing also caused a couple others to fail, either right away or after the sideways stress on the wheel. (The other possibility is your derailleur hit the spokes and caused three to fail at once, but pretty sure you would have mentioned that.)
Quote Reply
Re: Enve Wheel failure [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Assuming you registered the wheels and have proof of purchase, ENVE will take care of it. Literally had a set up 3.4’s and 6.7’s (got the 7.8’s) warranty replaced last week. ENVE’s customer service is second to none.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Given that the spokes broke in the middle, vs. at the nipple or hub end, my guess would be that something damaged them, which then led to their catastrophic failure. It could be something you hit just before they broke, or it could have been, e.g., when they were wedged into the trunk of a car along with a bunch of other stuff. You should carefully check the intervening spokes for nicks or scratches.

Either way, as others said the wheel can easily be repaired.
Quote Reply
Re: Enve Wheel failure [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lanierb wrote:
(The other possibility is your derailleur hit the spokes and caused three to fail at once, but pretty sure you would have mentioned that.)

My first thought with that failure point, too
Quote Reply