Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Another aero helmet question that's probably impossible to answer
Quote | Reply
I have a Giro Advantage. Was planning to upgrade to an aerohead for my first IM (IMTX). However, the crap I can (and do) buy is adding up. I can afford it, but do I really need to spend more, Haha. I never loved the fit of the Advantage, but know it "tests well" on a lot of people and it was super cheap. I hear the arrowhead also tests well, and just feels a little better using the lens instead of glasses and it not being right on my ears. I'm only going to be at like 18.5 maybe 19 mph for my IM, but will be low 20s in shorter races, so it will help there. I guess my question is, is it purely a new toy to make me excited to bike, or would there be a remote advantage to upgrading? Even if it is just comfort (I realize never wearing an aerohead other than for a minute in the store makes it an unkown for actually being more comfortable)
Quote Reply
Re: Another aero helmet question that's probably impossible to answer [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You NEED an Aerohead. Best damn helmet, period.
Quote Reply
Re: Another aero helmet question that's probably impossible to answer [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aerohead is awesome if you can see the road when it fogs up completely. And it will... especially in TX.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: Another aero helmet question that's probably impossible to answer [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
glasses fog up badly on me too. But I can always toss a relatively cheap pair of glasses in it can down to it. probably wouldn't be as easy to deal with a visor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can pop the visor off the magnets and stick it to the other set of magnets to store it flush along the top of the helmet for a couple minutes to let the fog clear, then put it back on.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KG6 wrote:
I have a Giro Advantage. Was planning to upgrade to an aerohead for my first IM (IMTX). However, the crap I can (and do) buy is adding up. I can afford it, but do I really need to spend more, Haha. I never loved the fit of the Advantage, but know it "tests well" on a lot of people and it was super cheap. I hear the arrowhead also tests well, and just feels a little better using the lens instead of glasses and it not being right on my ears. I'm only going to be at like 18.5 maybe 19 mph for my IM, but will be low 20s in shorter races, so it will help there. I guess my question is, is it purely a new toy to make me excited to bike, or would there be a remote advantage to upgrading? Even if it is just comfort (I realize never wearing an aerohead other than for a minute in the store makes it an unkown for actually being more comfortable)

I was in your shoes a couple of months ago. I have an advantage that still works but is pretty well scuffed and banged up and I just wasn't happy with wearing it anymore as the ear flaps were starting to annoy me and the one has a small crack in it. I debated do I just deal with it or upgrade and justify it because I have a couple of HIM and IM Chatt this year (first IM btw).

Yesterday I got to try out my newly purchased Aerohead. After my ride yesterday, I can't recommend the Aerohead enough. The field of vision you have is mind-blowing compared to the advantage with sunglasses. The comfort is miles better and at no point did I every think "my advantage is better at ............" By the Aerohead. Its an upgrade you won't regret. At $200 its a no brainer compared to all the other pointless things you can throw money at in this sport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on your position visually from an aerohead. If you have an aggressive position with head down an aerohead looks amazing aero wise but if you are more upright with head up I'm not sure it would test so well with any advantage. Personally haven't worn one but also the weight 500g seems excessive too. I will leave others to comment on that. If it makes you feel good then but one but I wouldn't see it as any real advantage.
Quote Reply
Re: Another aero helmet question that's probably impossible to answer [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Depends on your position visually from an aerohead. If you have an aggressive position with head down an aerohead looks amazing aero wise but if you are more upright with head up I'm not sure it would test so well with any advantage.

Would this not be the case with the Advantage as well? Without me doing the most uncomfortable turtle necking possible, I cant get the tail on my back. And that's off the bike, just hunched over trying to get a feel for the position in the mirror. Could not hold for a race. Its decent. But I dont have that beautiful flat riding position with a helmet that looks like it was built for me. ..at least none I've tried on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Broke down and got the Aerohead. But still have all my receipts to return (buyer's remorse hits me hard, haha). Looking for an eyeball aero test to see if it's a decent fit for me. I don't think it fits my position too badly. Admittedly this is my most "turtled" position and harder to keep for a full distance. I have included a slightly relaxed position as well. I do try to keep the position below as much as possible though. I don't have any good pictures with the A2 to compare, but the tail sat similarly off the back, just longer obviously.

Last edited by: KG6: Apr 17, 18 8:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KG6 wrote:

I have both the Giro Advantage and the Aerohead. But I use the A2 for the shorter races and the Aerohead for HIM/IM.
Quote Reply