Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

A Quiet Place
Quote | Reply
Anyone seen it yet? I'm not a big horror person, but this one looks like it might be pretty good?
Quote Reply
Re: A Quiet Place [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haven't seen it but reviews are very positive, I like John Krasinski and really like Emily Blunt. I'll watch it.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: A Quiet Place [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We saw it yesterday and really liked it. Not sure how my wife felt about Emily Blunt delivery in the bathtub scene (it's in the trailer, so not revealing anything) as she's 22 weeks pregnant though ;-)

I'll let slowguy do the review. I don't have that talent whatsoever. Just liked the movie a lot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a big horror guy but definitely from the reviews I’m reading. Doesn’t sound graphic as much as tense
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't categorize it as a horror film. More suspense/thriller. It was really good and very... different... without giving anything away.
Quote Reply
Re: A Quiet Place [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I wouldn't categorize it as a horror film. More suspense/thriller. It was really good and very... different... without giving anything away.

I thought it was OK.

A couple of things bugged me, especially at the end. Things that sort of make the whole premise of the movie suspect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saw it today. Loved it!

ASL was my first language so bad ASL is obvious to me but im super happy to see a hit movie where its the primary form of communication.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: A Quiet Place [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
Saw it today. Loved it!

ASL was my first language so bad ASL is obvious to me but im super happy to see a hit movie where its the primary form of communication.

Don't know ASL, so I was wondering if they were actually using it (I assumed so because of the deaf daughter) or if they were using some sort of improvised sign language.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
veganerd wrote:
Saw it today. Loved it!

Don't know ASL, so I was wondering if they were actually using it (I assumed so because of the deaf daughter) or if they were using some sort of improvised sign language.

It was real. It looks the same as it sounds to you when an adult recently learned english. You can understand everything theyre saying, but they just arent saying it smoothly.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All you need to know is here:

https://m.youtube.com/...My2vJestFJt6t-U0RGdA

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
loved it, and funny how the audience buys in -- you could hear a pin drop through the whole thing (with a couple gasps)
Quote Reply
Re: A Quiet Place [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
loved it, and funny how the audience buys in -- you could hear a pin drop through the whole thing (with a couple gasps)

I didn't notice. I think because I always go to sparsely attended matinees so they are quiet anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MrsMcK414 and I saw it this past weekend. We both enjoyed it. Also would classify it not as horror, but suspense.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Last edited by: mck414: Apr 26, 18 7:14
Quote Reply
Re: A Quiet Place [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Link fail. Here you go:

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just saw this yesterday and I loved it. It has been so long since an intelligent horror film was made and yet it's so much more than a horror movie. The entire cast is stellar and Krasinski created a great movie.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: A Quiet Place [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
I just saw this yesterday and I loved it. It has been so long since an intelligent horror film was made and yet it's so much more than a horror movie. The entire cast is stellar and Krasinski created a great movie.

I don't disagree, I enjoyed it. It's just that I'm awful at suspending belief and there's no way creatures only operating on sound and feel could do what those did. Just think about how you would move in a pitch black space. You'd need some kind of "map" to move effectively, like bats with echolocation. But if you have that, then you couldn't hide from them by simply being quiet.

Which leads to the second point. Why did it take them years to figure out that you could basically "blind" them with sound. Just set up some white noise type devices and then pick them off (they seemed super tough initially but then killed with a shotgun at the end). Surprised they didn't come up with sound distractors, like the toy. If you make a noise and they are coming, just turn on the toy and throw it a few feet away and walk away in the opposite direction.
Quote Reply
Re: A Quiet Place [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
veganerd wrote:
Saw it today. Loved it!

It was real. It looks the same as it sounds to you when an adult recently learned english. You can understand everything theyre saying, but they just arent saying it smoothly.

Well, the girl playing the daughter is deaf (lost her hearing as a 1yo) so I suppose her ASL is good?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
jkca1 wrote:

I don't disagree, I enjoyed it. It's just that I'm awful at suspending belief and there's no way creatures only operating on sound and feel could do what those did. Just think about how you would move in a pitch black space. You'd need some kind of "map" to move effectively, like bats with echolocation. But if you have that, then you couldn't hide from them by simply being quiet.

Which leads to the second point. Why did it take them years to figure out that you could basically "blind" them with sound. Just set up some white noise type devices and then pick them off (they seemed super tough initially but then killed with a shotgun at the end). Surprised they didn't come up with sound distractors, like the toy. If you make a noise and they are coming, just turn on the toy and throw it a few feet away and walk away in the opposite direction.

I immediately thought, does no one in this town own a gun? That was my only criticism, seemed if just a few town folks with guns could have picked the creatures off, not to mention what the local National Guard could have brought to the fight.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: A Quiet Place [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a glimpse of news clippings showing the military fighting them without luck. Yes there are holes in the story a bit, but I enjoyed it and enjoyed the story behind it. I watched and interview with him and he talked about how him and Emily Blunt really made it as a movie about how important family is and what we would do to protect that.

~Brad
Quote Reply