Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

10 TO 11 SPEED
Quote | Reply
I was wondering about changing my tri bike to 11 speed. I have old fashioned DA 10 speed cable shifters that I use on friction anyway. Do I need anything more than a new cassette and chain?

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: 10 TO 11 SPEED [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Freehub
Quote Reply
Re: 10 TO 11 SPEED [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, the free hub is different? I didn’t know that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New freehub, file the current one, or source an adjusted cassette from lasco or the edco monoblock
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
11 speed road freehubs are 1.8mm longer than 10 speed.

If you're okay with an 11-34 cassette, the most recent 8000 series Ultegra fits on a 10 speed freehub with no modifications. Only the 11-34. I have one on mt bike wheels and it works well. Otherwise you're looking at the modified 11-28 from Lasco or Edco or finding a way to remove 1.8mm from another 11 speed cassette.
Last edited by: dangle: Apr 6, 18 10:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shifters, chain, cassette and check your wheel compatibility to see if it is 11-speed capable. Almost all Mavics are, even the old ones. But you will be out of luck if you have older Zipps, or something like that.
Quote Reply
Re: 10 TO 11 SPEED [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bleep. Have older Zipps for my race wheels.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which model Zipps, 188 hubs can take an 11 speed freehub.
Quote Reply
Re: 10 TO 11 SPEED [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
11 speed road freehubs are 1.8mm longer than 10 speed.

If you're okay with an 11-34 cassette, the most recent 8000 series Ultegra fits on a 10 speed freehub with no modifications. Only the 11-34. I have one on mt bike wheels and it works well. Otherwise you're looking at the modified 11-28 from Lasco or Edco or finding a way to remove 1.8mm from another 11 speed cassette.
Fantastic, thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let's see the bike:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:
I have an old set of Zipp and the lasco works great.
Quote Reply
Re: 10 TO 11 SPEED [pedal-boy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pedal-boy wrote:
lyrrad wrote:
I have an old set of Zipp and the lasco works great.

x10 !

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: 10 TO 11 SPEED [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s an old baby poop yellow P3.
I’ll see.if I can post a pic.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:

They’re ~12 yo 404s

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back to your bike,
do you actually need/want 11 speeds, or are you just wanting to upgade your components to shimano's newest and 10 cogs is still fine for you? The reason I ask is that there are a bunch of workarounds that allow you to use older 10speed wheels. And if you use friction shifters, you can even use an older and completely unmodified 10speed cassette with an 11s RD, FD, chain, cranks, etc.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Quote Reply
Re: 10 TO 11 SPEED [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I mostly like to have close ratios when possible, especially on the flats. A number of my races have some serious hills, mixed with flats.
I use anything from an 11-23 to a 12-28 depending on the course. I prefer friction anyway, so I just thought I might be able to just put a new chain and an 11 sp cassette on there and have the best of both worlds with minimal hassle and cost.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, l follow you.

With your set-up, yes, you are correct, you need nothing other than an 11speed chain and an 11speed cassette. Both will work completely fine with the rest of your 10speed drivetrain, no other changes are needed (assuming that you're using friction shifters).

So to get an 11speed cassette on your older zipp wheeel, the best solution for your situation is to use a modified Lasco Concept ultegra 11speed cassette. If you need their contact info, just let me know. I have been using a few of their cassettes on my old zipps and they work great.

Greg @dsw

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Apr 7, 18 20:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That’s great! Thanks.

Quote Reply
Re: 10 TO 11 SPEED [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it OK running 11 speed on a 10 speed rear derailleur and chainset then?
Quote Reply
Re: 10 TO 11 SPEED [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You will need 11 speed chain
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
Is it OK running 11 speed on a 10 speed rear derailleur and chainset then?

Not with indexed shifters. And you need an 11 speed chain.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. So friction shifters, 10 speed chainset and rear derailleur, with an 11 speed chain and cassette should work?

Quite good timing if so - I'm just about to get back into tris after quite a long hiatus of just doing bike and run events. Dusting off my old tri bike which is Dura Ace 10 speed and on which I always used friction shifting. I no longer have a set of 10 speed race wheels, but do have a nice set of 11 speed race wheels, so I was figuring it was probably cheaper to convert the tri bike to 11 speed than to buy new race wheels. If I can get away with only changing the chain that's a lot cheaper than I was expecting!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, but you can easily mount 10s cassettes on 11s wheels, you just need a cheap Shimano spacer.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be switching the wheels between road and tri bike fairly frequently, changing the chain once is a lot less hassle than changing the cassette every time!

Plus obviously there will be that huge benefit to my tri performance of having 10% more gears to choose from...
Quote Reply