Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Javier Gomez to race Ironman Cairns June 10 [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
Just a few days left, since its a regional championship i assume there will be coverage so have freed my calendar.
I think it will be a crazy fast time, maybe sub 7:50. Last year burgs went 47-4:17-2:52 for 8:02 and i think Gomez will pretty much match his swim/bike but i think he’ll run sub 2:40. Wouldn’t be surprised if he dropped the hammer and ran something stupid like a 2:35 to freak out some kona contenders,

I don't see him riding 4:17 on the bike. He'll be front pack on the swim, nothing faster, he'll ride front pack, them just jog it in for the win.

Last year Burgs swam off the front then rode solo off the front until Wurf caught him, then dropped Wurf on the bike if I recall. Basically went wire to wire for the win. I think Gomez will be conservative all day, and win comfortably doing so.
Quote Reply
Re: Javier Gomez to race Ironman Cairns June 10 [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:

Personal opinion but if I was him and new I could run a 2:35....basically I would run a 2:50 and/or the bare minimum to win.

Then in post race interviews I would say every humble thing about “underestimating the distance” “my aim is to win Kona in 2020” “I have nutritional issues to figure out” “my goal is to have fun, get Kona experience and come top 5 if things go well” etc...etc...

I would keep a sub 2:35 potential in my back pocket.

Anyways should be a great race!

This is probably the most likely scenario and it's certainly Gomez' usual approach to do 'just enough' for the W.

But.....

He has been following an intense race calendar for the last few years, full ITU series and a couple of 70.3's on top so it has really been in his best interests for reaching the season's goals to keep doing 'just enough' for the W so he can go again in 3 weeks. He's had absolutely nothing to gain by extending a winning margin.

He's lightly raced this year in comparison, with just the one target. I would assume this is his one and only pre Kona IM, so 1-2 weeks recovery are not an issue. Whilst the W would be most important there is lots to gain, and learn from giving it a bit of tickle even if the W is in the bag. You don't really know you have a 2:35 in the locker unless you go pretty close to it, and test yourself after a hard swim/bike. It would test the nutrition strategy as well in hot humid conditions. I don't think he'll go into Lionel territory, but he must be tempted to push and prove some things to himself.
Quote Reply
Re: Javier Gomez to race Ironman Cairns June 10 [TRO Saracen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRO Saracen wrote:
mauricemaher wrote:

Personal opinion but if I was him and new I could run a 2:35....basically I would run a 2:50 and/or the bare minimum to win.

Then in post race interviews I would say every humble thing about “underestimating the distance” “my aim is to win Kona in 2020” “I have nutritional issues to figure out” “my goal is to have fun, get Kona experience and come top 5 if things go well” etc...etc...

I would keep a sub 2:35 potential in my back pocket.

Anyways should be a great race!

This is probably the most likely scenario and it's certainly Gomez' usual approach to do 'just enough' for the W.

But.....

He has been following an intense race calendar for the last few years, full ITU series and a couple of 70.3's on top so it has really been in his best interests for reaching the season's goals to keep doing 'just enough' for the W so he can go again in 3 weeks. He's had absolutely nothing to gain by extending a winning margin.

He's lightly raced this year in comparison, with just the one target. I would assume this is his one and only pre Kona IM, so 1-2 weeks recovery are not an issue. Whilst the W would be most important there is lots to gain, and learn from giving it a bit of tickle even if the W is in the bag. You don't really know you have a 2:35 in the locker unless you go pretty close to it, and test yourself after a hard swim/bike. It would test the nutrition strategy as well in hot humid conditions. I don't think he'll go into Lionel territory, but he must be tempted to push and prove some things to himself.

He just need to complete to validate for Kona though. But he will ofcourse go for the win, and i too believe in the "mininal effort needed", that should really always be the goal unless its A race /end of season race.
Quote Reply
Re: Javier Gomez to race Ironman Cairns June 10 [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m just looking forward to seeing who is right and who is wrong here.

I think TB WILL WIN.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Javier Gomez to race Ironman Cairns June 10 [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
probably, the guy is always on form it seems
Quote Reply
Re: Javier Gomez to race Ironman Cairns June 10 [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. I think Gomez will take the same approach that Crowie took in 2007. I was fortunate enough to speak with him in St. Croix the month after he finished 4th in his debut at Ironman Australia, (I think 4th it was a long time ago) and I asked him what his race strategy was and he said it was very conservative, just sit in and as he said 'try not to fall asleep.'

I don't see Gomez keeping pace with TB on the bike and then burying himself to bring TB back on the run. Then again, Gomez is a freak, and June isn't usually when TB is unbeatable, so who knows.

Either way, I am also looking forward to it.
Quote Reply
Re: Javier Gomez to race Ironman Cairns June 10 [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironman live page is up. Not looking like any streaming coverage.
Quote Reply
Re: Javier Gomez to race Ironman Cairns June 10 [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eganski wrote:

I don't see Gomez keeping pace with TB on the bike and then burying himself to bring TB back on the run. Then again, Gomez is a freak, and June isn't usually when TB is unbeatable, so who knows.

This. Gomez has yet to show he can bike with the uber bikers (though he hasn't needed to yet). I'm anticipating Gomez to be within the top 5 coming off the bike and he will run onto the podium. If TB is on form, he will have a big lead into T2 (7-10 minutes is my estimate or maybe more) and then if he runs 2:45-2:48, I don't think anyone will catch him.

We will see. I'm excited.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Javier Gomez to race Ironman Cairns June 10 [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gomez has worked a lot on his position, so I don't expect him to be that far behind, plus I don't really get why everyone seems to think he is a bad biker. TB had about the same split as Lange and the front pack in Kona and I would definitely think Gomez could keep up with them. My guess is Gomez comes first out of the water and the spends most of the ride legally drafting tb.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
Gomez has worked a lot on his position, so I don't expect him to be that far behind, plus I don't really get why everyone seems to think he is a bad biker. TB had about the same split as Lange and the front pack in Kona and I would definitely think Gomez could keep up with them. My guess is Gomez comes first out of the water and the spends most of the ride legally drafting tb.

He’s a bad biker because if he was actually good at triathlons he would have skipped doing ITU and just do focused on Ironman. I mean that’s what all the cool kids do...
Quote Reply
Re: Javier Gomez to race Ironman Cairns June 10 [jakesdk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jakesdk wrote:
Ironman live page is up. Not looking like any streaming coverage.

Looks like Sunday 7:30 Aussie east time.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Javier Gomez to race Ironman Cairns June 10 [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ask him what are the preparation he had done so far for this race?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:

No one has said he's a bad biker. He's just not an uber biker.

Look at his bike split from 70.3 WC. Kienle and Kanute out biked him by over 4 minutes.

http://www.ironman.com/...ionship/results.aspx

Will Gomez be in the lead group or near the front coming off the bike? Absolutely. But he's not coming into T2 with a huge lead.

For whatever reason, Terenzo has never really had a great performance in Kona. So I don't put much weight in his race in kona. And Kona race dynamics are just completely different than any other race. With TB's recent performances in 2018, I expect him to open up a gap on the bike.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:

Thinking Gomez is a bad biker is ignorant. We aren't saying that. We're saying he's not a 'ride with Terenzo Bozzone in his Ironman debut' biker. I also agree that Gomez will keep pace with that pack in Kona. But this isn't Kona. Gomez will up his game between now and then, and Bozzone will most likely stay where he's at, given his history at that race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes Kienle outiked him, but Kienle also outbikes TB. Also I wouldn't call TB a uber biker, though obviously he is a strong biker. In 2014 when Gomez won 70.3 worlds he biked 1 min slower than TB and about the same as Frodo, so I have no doubt he could hang on if he wanted to.
I agree that he isn't gonna have a huge lead, and likely if anything he will be a few min behind, but I would be very surprised if he came out 10 min back.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree. Look at Bahrain with a million bux on the line last November... TB put 8 min into Gomez on the bike. If Gomez gets isolated and can’t tuck into a pack, he has shown some shakiness in having to ride a true ITT. He won’t have to do that at Kona. Hasn’t really had to do that at 70.3 worlds. But it’s not crazy to think he could be 8-10’ down off the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Javier Gomez to race Ironman Cairns June 10 [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gomez obviously wasnt well in bahrain, he ran 1:17...

Quote Reply
Re: Javier Gomez to race Ironman Cairns June 10 [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Javier Gomez is a machine and looks like is really smart in how to organize races, training plan and everything. He will do what he always does - Swim front pack - maybe first of water - ride w/ the other guys and then run as good as he does. Simple, effective a nice W !
Quote Reply

Prev Next