Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Social Media Athlete Comparisons
Quote | Reply
I have found a new hobby, I have starting to find it very addictive to compare the posts of a certain type of athlete on Instagram, Twitter etc. regarding the training they say they're doing or about to do to compared to the training they're actually doing on Strava.

Anyone else do this or just me?
Last edited by: uk_bloke: Apr 6, 18 6:49
Quote Reply
Re: Social Media Athlete Comparisons [uk_bloke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope.

I don't follow athletes' training on Instatwitfacechat and I'm not on Strava. (I have a strava account, but can't tell you the last time I used it). I can barely keep up with what "I'm" supposed to be doing, let alone other people.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not me
That sounds rather pointless!
Looking at my own data and that of a couple of training friends is occasionally interesting, everyone else's is boring.
If you're doing it to catch them out in their lies and then confronting them, I suppose you might find that entertaining, but I'd just feel dirty for involving myself.
Quote Reply
Re: Social Media Athlete Comparisons [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Not me
Looking at my own data and that of a couple of training friends is occasionally interesting, everyone else's is boring.
If you're doing it to catch them out in their lies and then confronting them, I suppose you might find that entertaining, but I'd just feel dirty for involving myself.

It is completely pointless and a total waste of time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
uk_bloke wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
Not me

It is completely pointless and a total waste of time.
Ah, well as long as you know that, carry on!
I'm a supreme time waster myself but I do feel it's important I know I'm a time waster!
Time wasting is ok, indeed necessary - except during a race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
uk_bloke wrote:
I have found a new hobby, I have starting to find it very addictive to compare the posts of a certain type of athlete on Instagram, Twitter etc. regarding the training they say they're doing or about to do to compared to the training they're actually doing on Strava.

So, what are you finding?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you implying that people are not exactly the same as the image they manufacture on the internet? I'm shocked.
Quote Reply
Re: Social Media Athlete Comparisons [bulldog15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bulldog15 wrote:
uk_bloke wrote:

So, what are you finding?

If they're doing the sessions i stop looking so not a terribly rounded view. This certain type of athletes aren't of a very high standard, they crave the attention and kudos, but they don't do all the sessions they say they're doing, or they don't complete the sessions. One guy posted a picture on instagram of his 3800m swim set he was about to do, then on strava the session completed was 1500m, then afterwards on Instagram selfie with his goggles on with a caption along the lines of "putting the time in at the pool".
Last edited by: uk_bloke: Apr 6, 18 7:52
Quote Reply
Re: Social Media Athlete Comparisons [bulldog15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't see much on FB. I don't do the Twitter, Instragram, and other platforms. Even on FB, everyone I'm friends with are pretty average 'Muricans who do not do "fitness". If they do, it's some kind of "in your face" crossfit stuff with the horrible in the mirror selfies as a status.

In this generation of growing self respect through likes and follows, nothing surprises me.

I do feel a lot of people sensationalize their efforts versus what the reality is. Then again, I don't follow or pay attention to anyone that's at any competitive level in anything.

I follow Gaimon and he's big into his Fascat training stuff and his KOM chasing. Lots of 10 to 20min climb repeats for him it seems.

90% of people I follow are club riders. They do lots of low to middle effort stuff per week. Often maybe more hours than me a week. But nothing that would prepare them for any kind of racing. The other 10%, similar HIIT and interval training stuff as myself. One guy appears to be a Zwifter that pretty much only races for conditioning. I've never seen him hardly do any solo workouts. But it must work, he wins stuff all the time.

Cliffs:
-pros I follow: mixed bag, some Fascat stuff
-joes: lots of LSB and middle effort club social rides
-local racers: mix of HIIT and intervals and racing on Zwift into shape
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
uk_bloke wrote:

No...there are lots of times I do workouts and may never post it on strava, yet may post a pic on insta/fb etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you're alone in your newfound hobby.

I post pictures of my workouts daily (insert millennial joke here) but if I don't finish a workout then I don't pretend like I did. Most of my workout pics have the Strava info on them anyways.
Quote Reply