Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wahoo Elemnt battery life and navigation
Quote | Reply
Currently using the Garmin 520 but looking for longer battery life and better navigation features for long gravel races (all under 8 hours). The 520 during navigation mode simply cannot last past 5 hours. I know the 1030 seems to be the hot ticked but 600 is a lot to spend. I really like the Wahoo Elemnt display size and features but how is the latest implementation of the navigation features? What is the actual battery life when using navigation? Is it better than the 520 or should i simply spend the money on the 1030?

Thank you for any insights you have!
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Elemnt battery life and navigation [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
Currently using the Garmin 520 but looking for longer battery life and better navigation features for long gravel races (all under 8 hours). The 520 during navigation mode simply cannot last past 5 hours. I know the 1030 seems to be the hot ticked but 600 is a lot to spend. I really like the Wahoo Elemnt display size and features but how is the latest implementation of the navigation features? What is the actual battery life when using navigation? Is it better than the 520 or should i simply spend the money on the 1030?

Thank you for any insights you have!

Is an external battery pack an option?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Elemnt battery life and navigation [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have used a lipstick charger before but its not ideal and somewhat of a pain, that is what i am currently doing to get through longer races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote from the DCR review of the Element Bolt. I'd guess it'd be similar for the Element.

Quote:
One quick note about battery life – the unit is spec’d at 15 hours, and I’d say it’s right on target of that. On a 7hr 31min ride (where GPS was left on the entire time, with ANT+ sensors and mapping and no auto-pause), the unit came back at 49% battery remaining. It started at ~95%.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...in-depth-review.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garmin Chargeâ„¢ Power Pack

https://buy.garmin.com/.../CA/p/571552#devices

site says availablity in 3-5 weeks.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Elemnt battery life and navigation [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Quote from the DCR review of the Element Bolt. I'd guess it'd be similar for the Element.

Quote:
One quick note about battery life – the unit is spec’d at 15 hours, and I’d say it’s right on target of that. On a 7hr 31min ride (where GPS was left on the entire time, with ANT+ sensors and mapping and no auto-pause), the unit came back at 49% battery remaining. It started at ~95%.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...in-depth-review.html

That was the only concrete piece of information i could find as well. That strongly suggested the Element/bolt are well above the battery life of the 520. The "advertised" battery life specs are rarely accurate. My 520 with every power saver suggestion never goes over 8 hours.

As far as battery packs they are a pain to deal with when racing. A lot of these gravel races are just road races and fumbling with a charger is often not in the cards. I am currently using a lipstick charger taped to my top tube and then have the cord plugged in to the 520.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never measured it myself but I've got a Bolt and one thing I never worry about anymore is battery life. It never seems to die. Very different from my old 500.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Elemnt battery life and navigation [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought i would swing back to this and give an initial report using the Wahoo Element Bolt for a long gravel race. This was my first ride with the Bolt. On the first use of the bolt with navigation, LED on, Backlight on a 15s timer, connected to power/HR, sound alert on, it had 58% battery left after 6:33 ride time and close to 8 hours of elapsed time (lots of pre-race and post-race riding around). My estimation is that this could easily handle a 12-14 hour ride with the above settings. That is more than double my Garmin 520 battery life and the navigation features outclassed the Garmin hands down. The setup was incredibly fast, it took less than 15 minutes to get every setting and data field perfect. I prefer the contrast of the Wahoo and the LED was great for navigation when in a pace line on the limit.

Other features that stood out include the ability to go from 9 down to 1 data field with a click of a button and the maps page was easily visible. The map was better than i expected, better than the 520. Visibility on low light was better than expected and no glare issues later in the afternoon. Another great aspect is the trainer control (if you have a smart trainer), less button clicks than the 520. Overall i am very impressed and am selling the 520 in favor of the Bolt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had the Bolt basically since it came out a year ago. I typically get around 12-14 hours with speed sensor, HR monitor, and power meter (with cadence). This is with sounds and BT notifications on, 15 second backlight, and maps off.

I've had maps turned on for a few rides, and I didn't really notice much difference in battery life. My thought was that since GPS is on anyway, that turning the mapping page shouldn't cause too much additional battery use unless you have audible notifications and it triggers your backlight to turn on each time.
Quote Reply