Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Altitude Generator
Quote | Reply
I have a Mountain Air Generator (MAG 10) that I bought for pre-acclimatization of a climb to over 22K'. Illness canceled the climb, and there is about a 1 in 4 chance it will ever come together again. My wife says the MAG 10 taking up closet room (from what, I don't know), so use it or sell it. I figured I'd sell it, and posted it locally on CL, but am I being too hasty? Living at sea level in the NW, many of the events I go to have starting altitudes of 5K' or greater, and altitudes of 10K' are not uncommon, with a noticeable impact for me.

The use of altitude generators generally requires at least two months of continuous use for real performance enhancement, but honestly, outside of a high altitude climb, I'm not likely to dedicate months of separate bedroom use (as the prior owner said, "this thing is not girlfriend compatible"). But here is my question:

Can an altitude generator be used for a much shorter period of time, say two weeks, to effectively raise my altitude base to 7K'? Have any of you tried something like that, and found it to be successful? Did you use it a full 8 hours/day?

If short period use is enough to take the sea level edge off, plus the possibility of another climb, maybe I should keep it.

Thanks, D
Quote Reply
Re: Altitude Generator [dmchike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dmchike wrote:
I have a Mountain Air Generator (MAG 10) that I bought for pre-acclimatization of a climb to over 22K'. Illness canceled the climb, and there is about a 1 in 4 chance it will ever come together again. My wife says the MAG 10 taking up closet room (from what, I don't know), so use it or sell it. I figured I'd sell it, and posted it locally on CL, but am I being too hasty? Living at sea level in the NW, many of the events I go to have starting altitudes of 5K' or greater, and altitudes of 10K' are not uncommon, with a noticeable impact for me.

The use of altitude generators generally requires at least two months of continuous use for real performance enhancement, but honestly, outside of a high altitude climb, I'm not likely to dedicate months of separate bedroom use (as the prior owner said, "this thing is not girlfriend compatible"). But here is my question:

Can an altitude generator be used for a much shorter period of time, say two weeks, to effectively raise my altitude base to 7K'? Have any of you tried something like that, and found it to be successful? Did you use it a full 8 hours/day?

If short period use is enough to take the sea level edge off, plus the possibility of another climb, maybe I should keep it.

Thanks, D

I think it is always hard to keep one's wife and one's girlfriend both simultaneously happy. Chapeau to you if you can do this over the long haul ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look up “intermittent hypoxic training,” (IHT) There have been a few studies that suggest it can be beneficial.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello dmchike and All,

Quite old ..... but some data you can look at for n=1: https://www.runnersweb.com/...titude_training.html

My eMail address had changed and White Mountain summit is at 14,252 ft. .... Mt. Whitney, nearby summit at14,505.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply