Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

PSA re IMTX 2018
Quote | Reply
Each year in the week leading up to the race many folks drop in and swim at the Conroe ISD Natatorium. However, with IMTX approaching I thought I'd make everyone aware that the pool will be closed for construction/maintenance beginning April 23rd and lasting through May.

Other swim options in the area include:

Magnolia Masters (reach out to SnappingT here)
Woodlands Masters (utilizing alternative pools in the area during the closure)
Shadowbend or Branch Crossing YMCA
24 Hour Fitness
Villa Sport (if you know a member and are willing to pay the expensive day fee)

There are probably others that I'm forgetting about at the moment.

Let me know if you've got any questions about this or anything else related to the race or area.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA re IMTX 2018 [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that info!

The other question I know many start to ask is water temperature. Any insight would be awesome!
Quote Reply
Re: PSA re IMTX 2018 [pastorjeff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pastorjeff wrote:
Thanks for that info!

The other question I know many start to ask is water temperature. Any insight would be awesome!

Unknown at this time but the township will begin taking daily temps on April 23rd and will post on their Facebook page.

https://www.thewoodlandstownship-tx.gov/448/Athlete-Information
Quote Reply
Re: PSA re IMTX 2018 [pastorjeff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pastorjeff wrote:
Thanks for that info!

If you are on Facebook, follow a page titled "Lake Woodlands Water Temperature".

The owner of the page is providing near-daily temperature updates, while also subtly mocking his followers who think that monitoring the condition of a shallow body of water 22 days out from the race in a location with volatile weather conditions will provide any sort of indication as to its projected temperature on race day.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for posting. Do you happen to know if any gym in the area has a cold plunge pool (basically a hot tub with cold water instead)?
Quote Reply
Re: PSA re IMTX 2018 [zilla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zilla wrote:
thanks for posting. Do you happen to know if any gym in the area has a cold plunge pool (basically a hot tub with cold water instead)?

Not that I'm aware of but then again it's not something I've ever looked for. There are several cryofreeze places in the area though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:

Let me know if you've got any questions about this or anything else related to the race or area.

Excuse me again sir, any recommendations on where to ride your bike during the morning/lunch time for wed-friday?
Quote Reply
Re: PSA re IMTX 2018 [zilla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
any recommendations on where to ride your bike during the morning/lunch time for wed-friday?

By all means do NOT ride on Woodlands Parkway from the race start area. There is absolutely no shoulder for about the first 5 miles. After that it's good with a shoulder.

So, if you're leaving from the main race area make your way to Lake Woodlands Drive and head west. Continue on LWD for about 5 or so miles and it will dead-end into Woodlands Parkway. Turn right and continue on WP until it dead-ends at FM2978 (this should be about 9 miles total or 18 miles out-and-back) and is pretty safe. If you want more miles turn right on FM2978 and continue going north. This is part of the old IMTX route. You can get to about 19-19 miles here (or 36-38 out-and-back).

Let me know if you need more than that. Be careful exploring The Woodlands. If you're not familiar with the area every thing looks the same (tall pine trees everywhere with no discernable landmarks).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
24 Hour Fitness

I know there are signs up at 24 Hour saying the "spa" is closed from like Monday to Friday. Does anyone in The Woodlands area know if the "spa" includes the pool area. I know the steam room and sauna had signs as well as a few on the walls around the area. Bad timing if so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thoughts on best options to just get a quick little spin in on Friday before bike check? Just looking for 15 minutes or so of easy riding to make sure the bikes in good working order after the trip via TBT. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: PSA re IMTX 2018 [pacco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Thoughts on best options to just get a quick little spin in on Friday before bike check?

See post above about Lake Woodlands.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA re IMTX 2018 [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Does anyone in The Woodlands area know if the "spa" includes the pool area.

Sorry. Can't help you there. I've actually never been inside the 24 hour fitness so don't know about any of the details.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got it. Initially read that response as where to drive to for a riding option.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA re IMTX 2018 [pacco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've attached another easy route. There are stop lights and a few stop signs. So not a great route to put your head down and go, but to get the legs moving and test out the bike, it's a good, close route. You can park at Northshore Park if it isn't closed down to set up for the race. Or you can park at Whole Foods if it is.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/18147962
Quote Reply
Re: PSA re IMTX 2018 [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been to that pool twice. IT is gross....

On Thursday 11-noon Mach5 Bala have an open swim session at a local pool. Look them up on facebook if anyone is interested. I'll be there : )
Quote Reply