Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

numb feet problem
Quote | Reply
Hi
First time posting here.
When I'm riding after about 50 minutes the bottom front of my feet go numb. It's obviously not painful but very distracting. My only relief is to pull up real hard on the pedals, this allows my foot to move around a little and restore some circulation to the bottom of my foot. This only lasts a few minutes, then repeat wich seems like a rediculas way to continue to ride a bike.
They both go numb from the peddle axle forward, my arch and heal are fine. I have moved my cleats forward and rear to their limits and this doesn't help.
I am wearing Specialized shoe's and tried their insoles with the highest and lowest arch support, the highest helps very slightly but not significant. I have also tried regular gel inserts they were no help.
This is really just one of my issues but I thought I would try to tackle one at a time. After a two hour ride I'm in so much pain I can barely get off the bike, neck, low back, wrists right knee , butt. And of course I can barely walk because my feet are numb for about 15 minutes.
This is a tri bike.
Yes I had a professional fit and told him about the feet beforehand.
Any thoughts or advice very much appreciated.
Thank you Tom
Quote Reply
Re: numb feet problem [thessler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How long have you been riding?

Unfortunately the fact that you got a professional fit doesn't guarantee you ended up in a good position. There are good and bad fitters, or perhaps there are other factors that were not evident during the fit.

If it was just your feet, I'd be asking if the shoes were the problem. However, that list of issues is unlikely to be best treated one at a time, IMO. It seems almost certain that they're linked.

I'm NOT a fit expert, plenty here are. But how are you hurting your wrists on a triathlon bike. That can only be a fit issue. Assuming you spend most of your time on the extensions, your hands don't even support your weight so sore wrists must surely be a problem in aero bar shape and position.

The sore back, neck and butt, and your numb foot issue, could all very likely be the same cause - body position. The saddle could also be an issue but I wouldn't suggest looking at that until you're pretty sure you're sitting in something like the right position.

Probably the best place to start is to post a photo of yourself on the bike and let the experts tell you if anything looks badly wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: numb feet problem [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply.
Yes the wrist is a fit but very minor issue and I really shouldn't have mentioned it.
Tom
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They all add up and even something relatively small can detract from a ride.

Some discomfort is simply a case of giving yourself time for adaptation, which is why I asked how long you're riding. That would definitely include saddle comfort, neck/shoulder soreness and maybe the sore wrist. But if they aren't improving after the first few rides it's not your body that needs to adapt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m getting the same dead feet issue. Coincides with getting a new pair of bike shoes. So I’m blaming them, never had an issue before
Quote Reply
Re: numb feet problem [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bike shoe fit is tricky.

Its a more complicated interface than people imagine - there is the whole shoe-cleat-pedal interface - and a reminder that this is where your hard earned and precious power is transferred TOO the bike!

It's worth spending some time, sorting all of this out.

One thing I've noticed with Professional Bike racers is the change bike sponsors via teams frequently, but ounce they find a shoe that fits/works for them, they stick with that brand/model year after year.

Back to the OP's problem. It could be any number of a whole multitude of things here. The solution could be as simple as sliding the cleats back to the furthest point away from the toe and closest to the heel. Or it could be something well away from the actual foot - saddle issues, seat height issues etc . . .

Whenever I change shoes, it's always several weeks of fiddling around with new/old insoles, shimming the cleats, and fiddling around a bit with cleat position and angle to get it all dialed in. Two years ago I went from the Giro Empire ACC, to the newer Giro Empire SLX - one would think an easy transition, right? Wrong, these two shoes while looking the same from the outside are built on two completely different lasts!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Low back, wrist and knee sound like your saddle may be too far back or not supporting you. If you're pushing on the extension to keep you on the saddle that would explain the wrist pain, the lack of support at the pelvis would force your back to stabalize you. Thats my guess
Quote Reply
Re: numb feet problem [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to ride , so I have some experience but I'm just getting back into it as of September.
I'm not whining about discomfort, I'm talking agony at the end of two hours.
But my feet seem to bother me mentally the most.
The fitter installed adapter plates to the shoes that allow more forward and rearward cleat placement, right now they are back as far as they can go. I have tried three different saddles, up down , forward and back.
My shoes are new in September, I have not tried other shoes due to the cost factor.
Thanks, Tom
Quote Reply
Re: numb feet problem [kblahetka] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i guess i should add that your cockpit could be too forward as well.

I had a similar issue where i swapped saddles and it took some time to get the fore/aft set in a way that I was fully supported. I was just dangling off the seat.
Quote Reply