Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The thing about run injuries
Quote | Reply
Since I started running I've been in 3 states:

1. Run : Injury pending
2. Run : With injury
3. Stop :Too Injured

In my case, it seems that the practice of running sort of blows these "fuses" in the lower legs, enroute to adaptation.

I don't think it's preventable either. The tissues gotta do what they gotta do. The injuries don't recur & the injured parts have come back stronger if that makes sense.

After a right leg rebuild - (calf/soleus, Achilles, ankle, etc) I am now having trouble with my left leg.

The left Achilles wasn't too bad - ultrasound, PT did the job
Now it's my top of foot and PF heel and my calf is no picnic either.

Hopefully I can run this season, waiting for the next circuit to blow :)!

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: The thing about run injuries [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That shouldn't happen. Being injured all the time as a non maxxed out age grouper means your run training is likely causing problems.

I'll bet you go too fast, too much without enough run base?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to be in this loop ... for about 7 straight years.

It finally ended when I told myself "if it hurts, even a little, stop running and fix it."

Yes, i know that many injuries you can run through it... but i now do a zero tolerance policy, and ive been healthy ever since.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been running into somewhat similar issues (knee, ankle, calf) and I'm starting to find that if I foam roll before I run, I don't get any pain.

Also, you may have numerous muscular imbalances throwing everything off.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can thank me all later. Read Running Rewired.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is probably not going to be a popular line of inquiry, but what sort of shoes do you wear? If they're very cushioned, perhaps try something more minimal and reduce the volume dramatically at first. Try and get rid of anything masking real problems. Learn to run smoothly without the crutch of padding and motion control, then add it back in if you wish, and if you can without losing what you've found.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How long have you been running, how much, how fast, what is your running background?

My bet is that you went to long, too fast, too soon. The old saying/analogy used around here is that everyone wants frosting but you have to bake the cake first. Baking the cake can take a long time. Depending on your background, etc, it could take a very long time. Of course we all (I think) get tweaks along the way but I haven't missed a run workout due to a run injury in decades. I am by no means a natural or good runner, but I have been very consistent over a long period of time. Be the turtle not the hare . . . that story plays out the same every time.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: The thing about run injuries [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not dismayed it's more of an observation on how the lower leg tissues seem to work. I have witnessed and read other athletes that hammered their legs in a static way, in the same boat. My "control" group - ski, hockey buddies etc. - I'm the only one actually able to run at this age.

It stems from multiple pre-existing conditions, including the water-skiing, hockey and cycling. These sports kind of lock and load your lower leg, with little of the run related dynamic movement and over-tax the quads. Add a severe ankle injury and one PT said I'd never get past doing a 5 or 10K.

I spend most of my running in Merrell Road Gloves and just this week did 1km barefoot/grass running.
I have been doing about 40-50km/ week. Cushion shoes are worse, but faster.

I had pain in my left foot top, and yes overdid the intervals causing the foot pain to expand to the underside (PF). But again I fully expected problems in this leg due to issues all up and down the left leg.

The PF/foot thing is an interesting one. I get some PT next week, she was fully booked then off for spring break.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply