Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

shoe change from Newton Gravity to ... eh... what shoe?
Quote | Reply
My calves are forcing me out of Newton. I'm a pretty stable runner, completely forefoot strike (zero wear on heel), 190 pounds. I love the Newtons but my legs don't love them.
For the shoe experts: what would be a good neutral shoe that puts less stress on my calf, but is not heavy or soft?

NO
Quote Reply
Re: shoe change from Newton Gravity to ... eh... what shoe? [Alabama Viking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was in the same boat just about a year ago. I loved my Newtons but the cost to get them here in Canada was just not worth it ($250 a pair). I went with the Saucony Freedom ISO for my longer slower runs and then got a pair of Kinvaras for the speed/tempo work. Both have a 4mm offset and the Everrun foam is really good. I love the upper on the Freedom as it really locks down the foot and the outsole is really durable.

I've read the new Kinvaras are out there in the wild (Version 9) and the Freedom ISO will have there second version around July.

Freedoms were 9oz (close to Gravity)
Kinvaras were 6.5oz (closer to Distance)

For what it is worth I've got roughly 900km (600mi) on the Freedoms and I'm just now considering replacing them. The Kinvara's have got roughly 400km and I don't see much sign of wear (yet). For what it's worth, the Kinvara's have only seen the outdoors once and the rest of the mileage has been treadmill.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: shoe change from Newton Gravity to ... eh... what shoe? [Alabama Viking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am also searching for something similar. Ideally, I am looking for a firm shoe with about 10 - 18mm of padding and about 4mm drop. Currently, I am using the Salming Speed and Race. I have found pros/cons. I have a pair of Speed 3 (5mm drop) which I like a lot except for the narrow forefoot, but I also have a pair of Speed 5 (6mm drop) and they seem to be much softer than its predecessor. Although, I have yet to try them without the insert which is quite cushy. The Race 5 (5mm drop) is a racing flat, but it fits most of what I am looking for (also narrow in the forefoot/toebox). I think I will be using this for half marathons and less this year.

I would like to try some of the On running shoes, but I can't afford more than 1 pair of shoes at a time these days...
Quote Reply