Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Alternatives to partial knee replacement
Quote | Reply
I just had my second bi-annual cortisone shot in my left knee for OA, and I'm optimistic. The first shot was good for about 5 months, and I delayed the second round until 6 months. I'm disposed to running, and have taken the advice to walk the steep down-hills, but I can run uphill all I want. On the flats I'm good for 15 miles. Doc says I'm a candidate for partial knee replacements in the 5-10 yr. range, and at age 61 currently, a one & done treatment would be nice.

I'm wondering what less-invasive treatments are likely to be available that far out. I've read some on the stem cells and platelet rich therapies, but positive results seem 50/50 at this time, and they are not covered by insurance (perhaps because of results?). Given the time it takes to get FDA approval, are any of you aware of treatments in the development stage that are showing better results? Maybe advances in stem cell treatment are still several years out? What other options should I be tracking?

Thanks, D
Quote Reply
Re: Alternatives to partial knee replacement [dmchike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dmchike wrote:
I just had my second bi-annual cortisone shot in my left knee for OA, and I'm optimistic. The first shot was good for about 5 months, and I delayed the second round until 6 months. I'm disposed to running, and have taken the advice to walk the steep down-hills, but I can run uphill all I want. On the flats I'm good for 15 miles. Doc says I'm a candidate for partial knee replacements in the 5-10 yr. range, and at age 61 currently, a one & done treatment would be nice.

I'm wondering what less-invasive treatments are likely to be available that far out. I've read some on the stem cells and platelet rich therapies, but positive results seem 50/50 at this time, and they are not covered by insurance (perhaps because of results?). Given the time it takes to get FDA approval, are any of you aware of treatments in the development stage that are showing better results? Maybe advances in stem cell treatment are still several years out? What other options should I be tracking?

Thanks, D

My wife has tried both PRP and stem cell injections into her knees. She felt like the PRP was more beneficial than the stem cell treatment but neither was a complete help.

As far as the partial replacement is concerned, I have two friends in their late 50s who have both had a partial knee replacement done. Both are doing great and continue to be incredibly active. Both have returned to running, and one has sort of gone crazy active (multiple IMs and ultramarathons since have the knee done)
Quote Reply