Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why do athletes like to be sponsored? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
I'm assuming by "back in the day", that was before Ebay and ST classified were a fantastic option to collect new and used gear at a great price, before the advent of Flo wheels and the increased competition, and thus dramatic price drops in powermeters etc. I'm not saying it could never be cheaper. I could develop a list of companies I would be thrilled to legitimately sponsor me and exactly zero of them would do so!! At at least on the local level, I just watch so many "sponsored" athletes pay more money for slower equipment.

But you're missing the point that I was never under any obligation to purchase from that shop. this was late '90's and early '00's eBay was around, and back then there were probably better deals on eBay than there are now. ST classifieds were probably around then too, maybe?

(It also wasn't a team that you had to pay to be a member of, but I digress).

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Why do athletes like to be sponsored? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

(It also wasn't a team that you had to pay to be a member of, but I digress).

This goes hand in hand with you never saying "I'm sponsored by"... that doesn't matter, its perception. Everyone on EMJ and Team Timex all know what they are trying to convey by being apart of these teams. They'll never tell anyone how it actually works; they just want everyone to see them with the logos. It's a begging for attention, stroke my ego, "cool factor".

When we're talking about amateur athletes, I have far more respect for someone who is not apart of a team or "have sponsors". To each their own but I also don't give a shit how many "likes" I get on social media.
Last edited by: BrentwoodTriGuy: Apr 4, 18 11:28
Quote Reply
Re: Why do athletes like to be sponsored? [milkman1982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milkman1982 wrote:
IMO people are going after the same old triathlon sponsors. Here are some companies I would approach if I was a pro (somewhat tongue in cheek):

Banana Boat Sunscreen
Imodium anti-diarrhea tablets
Jiff Peanut Butter
3M Electrical Tape/Zip Ties
Hormel Bacon
Hostess Cupcakes

haha that's funny. honestly that's kind of what I was thinking, that the sponsors people should get aren't bikes and helmets, it's the consumables: nutrition (actually pretty common I guess), brake pads, chains, body lube etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do athletes like to be sponsored? [avatar78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can tell you why I want a sponsor... because I'm sick of having to buy my own shampoo, soap, and men's grooming products.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Last edited by: cloy: Apr 4, 18 12:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do athletes like to be sponsored?

What level are you talking about here?

For small list of A-List athletes in the sport (maybe about 20 in the whole of triathlon) who have a high profile, who win/place in big races and get great media coverage, it's not a question of "Like", it's part of their job. Brands who partner with these athletes, know, they are going to get a certain amount of exposure for their brand, by the natural and organic actions of these athletes. Most of thew athletes in this small group, get it. They know their is an obligation on their part to do certain things - appear at media events. Do photo shoots. Show up at VIP events etc . . away from competition and training. All equipment is given or on loan, and they have a retainer they are paid with a race performance bonus on top of that - usually only for the bigger races ie IM Kona!

On the much bigger B-List of athletes here it get's a bit tricky. The athletes don't have the media profile. They only get on the podium occasionally. Here it behooves the athlete to create more exposure and profile through, their own efforts. These days with Social Media, this is "easier", but even here, Social Media is so crowded and busy a space now, that it takes A LOT of work to create that profile and exposure. Obviously at this level now what you do AWAY from competition and training, has to take on a certain BIG priority, and you have to be CONSTANTLY selling yourself. At this level there is very little money but usually OK product either on loan or to keep.

At the C-Level, there is zero regular media profile. Almost no race podiums or exposure that way. So the C-level athlete has to do all of what the B-levels do, AND probably also work some form of affiliate sales/discounting structure and work via their own network of people in their club, who they coach, through social media, it's all a bit huckster-ish, and here it's rare to get stuff for free-free, and there is NO money. The best you can hope for is some form or "Pro-deal", which is often the wholesale cost (1/2 MSRP on most things and about 30% off on bikes)

The above is all for Pros Age-Groupers are a whole other thing. Normally here, the goal is to win over AG athletes through some form of discounting via a club or team. Often a brand will have a group of Ambassadors who get a better discount and in turn sell/promote lesser discounts to a wider audience. Although even here, these can back-fire and the Ambassador, spends all their time telling people how they can get THEIR discount - which is NOT the purpose.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think because it shows gratitude for what the athlete contributes to the sport and the sponsor.

When I was in charge of sponsorships for a bike shop the best sponsored athlete was a 13 year old kid. He wasn't much of a rider then but did he have attitude and passion. in one year he brought in over $30,000 (NZ pesos) in business. Either bringing in customers or making sure we knew he had referred them.

As I said at the time (2008) he wasn't much of a rider. In 2015 he was part of the NZ team that won a World Team Pursuit title and today races for a World Tour Team and finished 2nd in a major event today.

There's the hugest Warm Fuzzy factor going on for taking a punt on a kid just on his character alone.

Hamish Ferguson: Cycling Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Why do athletes like to be sponsored? [bretzky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bretzky wrote:
So you don't look like a goof at Kona with a blank jersey like Cameron Wurf.

I thought he looked bad a** honestly. then again, I was the outcast in Middle school
Quote Reply
Re: Why do athletes like to be sponsored? [Kiwicoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kiwicoach wrote:
I think because it shows gratitude for what the athlete contributes to the sport and the sponsor.
When I was in charge of sponsorships for a bike shop the best sponsored athlete was a 13 year old kid. He wasn't much of a rider then but did he have attitude and passion. in one year he brought in over $30,000 (NZ pesos) in business. Either bringing in customers or making sure we knew he had referred them.
As I said at the time (2008) he wasn't much of a rider. In 2015 he was part of the NZ team that won a World Team Pursuit title and today races for a World Tour Team and finished 2nd in a major event today.
There's the hugest Warm Fuzzy factor going on for taking a punt on a kid just on his character alone.

That's a really cool story Hamish, thanks for posting it.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Why do athletes like to be sponsored? [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:

When we're talking about amateur athletes, I have far more respect for someone who is not apart of a team or "have sponsors". To each their own but I also don't give a shit how many "likes" I get on social media.

Agreed. Forced social media posts extolling the virtues of some product or store are at once nauseating, hollow, fake, and absurd. I'm almost embarrassed for the folks that are willing to post drivel like that in order to save a couple hundred bucks. If you're a starving college student or a starving and aspiring pro... okay. Do what you gotta do. If you make a six figure income as a dentist, accountant, lawyer, engineer, etc... shut the fuck up.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Why do athletes like to be sponsored? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. Forced social media posts extolling the virtues of some product or store are at once nauseating, hollow, fake, and absurd. I'm almost embarrassed for the folks that are willing to post drivel like that in order to save a couple hundred bucks. If you're a starving college student or a starving and aspiring pro... okay.

Like many things, Social Media is changing and moving quickly. Just few years or so ago, you could probably get some form of "sponsorship" by having lots of Facebook and Twitter friends and followers. However, now it's Instagram that rules in the endurance sports and fitness space. Recent research by Multisport Research has revealed that in the fitness/endurance-sports space Instagram get's the highest level of engagement!

I find the bike/tri business to often be woefully behind the times when it comes to marketing. Just recently I was talking to an event that said they were, "putting everything into Facebook" this year for their marketing. I'm sure it will help a bit, but for it's impact with this, Facebook peaked about 3 years ago!

Whatever the channel, the WAY you go about things matters A LOT - if it's just straight up pandering, and non-stop soliciting - people will be turned right off. You have to be creative. You have to weave the brand messaging subtly into your content. You have to be unique. Now, with all the social media noise, whatever the channel, you have to stand out!

Social media is now not new. It's become almost like breathing - it's what people are involved with and checking in on multiple times each day.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply

Prev Next